Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    ??

Based on the current time, Hank should be about 36, Jean and Scott are about 34-35, and Bobby is 33-34. They aren't late 30s, but based on the time skips, this should be where they're at.
    Timeskips don't count. If they did, Iron Man, who starts in his early 20's, would be 40. And it is explicitly locked in that it's been over 10 years since F4 #1. Timeskips are done for effect to create a feeling of space between things. But they should stop doing those, too. Let the stories create that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Timeskips don't count. If they did, Iron Man, who starts in his early 20's, would be 40. And it is explicitly locked in that it's been over 10 years since F4 #1. Timeskips are done for effect to create a feeling of space between things. But they should stop doing those, too. Let the stories create that feeling.
    I mean, if you take the words they print and disavow them, you could make a case that they're exactly as young (or old) as you want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Attachment 74634

Attachment 74635

They look very young to me. Iceman was explicitly 16 in #1, so 12-13 years later, he's still 28/29. Jean and Warren a year or two more. Hank one more year.

How old they 'should be' is very subjective, but I think they do work better as still being very young and highly accomplished.
    I'm going by what was printed:

Scott and Jean were 24 during the DPS.
    After that, at least a year and more passed since Maddie gave birth to Cable. So Scott and Jean were about 26 when she came back.
    They were 27 when Jean died during the Morrison run.
    Scott and Emma were together for just over 4 years before AvX, with Messiah Complex and Second Coming, making Scott 31 at AvX
    He was still 31 (6 months passed), when the Bendis run started.
    He was 32 when he died of M-Pox
    6 months pass from that for IvX
    Jean returns, and assuming the Phoenix made her the age she was supposed to be, she's 33.
    About a year has passed since her return in Marvel time, making her 34.

I mean, if you take the words they print and disavow them, you could make a case that they're exactly as young (or old) as you want them to be.
    In a sliding timeline, yes, nothing they print regarding time is law. They are all liable to change and all fluctuate.

BANNED

I'm sorry but the age thing has been done to death in the past week or so can you please discuss something else!?

Like didn't they already have a "boo hoo" Hope issue during the end of Messiah when they thought he died?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Beast celebrated his 30th birthday at Harry's Hideaway in the 90's. I think that Marvel is trying to say he is the only one in his 30's, which is just silly. le sigh sliding timescale

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Beast celebrated his 30th birthday at Harry's Hideaway in the 90's. I think that Marvel is trying to say he is the only one in his 30's, which is just silly. le sigh sliding timescale
    Which just exacerbates the problems faced by younger characters because every time a new "generation" is introduced they're trapped in an increasingly tiny window in which they'll be allowed to age because otherwise it makes the "core" group too old. So more and more of them stack up and it's getting REALLY FRELLING CROWDED.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Which just exacerbates the problems faced by younger characters because every time a new "generation" is introduced they're trapped in an increasingly tiny window in which they'll be allowed to age because otherwise it makes the "core" group too old. So more and more of them stack up and it's getting REALLY FRELLING CROWDED.
    And the last time it got too crowded, House of M happened.

Those who do not learn from history...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I think it's funny that people have that attitude today about a couple that was born out of the 60's because it's a very 60's attitude to have. It's funny that the attitude towards them stays from the era they're from instead of today's standards.
    Scott needs to get rid of Jean Grey.
    He shouldn't be limited to being a mere arm candy, or the husband/boyfriend of a Disney princess.
    What makes the X-Men so interesting is the metaphor for minorities, and not boring romances.

Cyclops is no longer a silly teenager who spent years being the great idiot of a love triangle. He's a leader. He's a warrior. And there's a lot of work to do.
    Leave the boring romance with children and teenagers.

After that, at least a year and more passed since Maddie gave birth to Cable. So Scott and Jean were about 26 when she came back.
    Scott and Emma were together for just over 4 years before AvX, with Messiah Complex and Second Coming, making Scott 31 at AvX
    Jean returns, and assuming the Phoenix made her the age she was supposed to be, she's 33.
    Scott was still 25 in the Onslaught era(which retroactively makes Jean have to be younger than 24 in the DPS unless all of Claremont's run plus the early 90's is only 1 year). A whole year passes between Uncanny 1-4, faster than real time, explicitly according to the captions(they even have a cake to celebrate). If Jean really was 24 in the DPS, than 1963-1980 covers about 7 years in-character, which doesn't really make sense with the rest of the continuity. In the grand scheme of things there does have to be some hand-waving(such as you thinking only one year is accounted for between X-Factor #1 and the Morrison era, which would be 1986-2004, but that its been four years between 2004 and 2012's AvX)!
    Last edited by yogaflame; 12-06-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Where did it ever say Cyke was in his late 30's? He does have an extra decade on him, mentally, from his honeymoon in the future raising Cable, but physically the 05 X-Men have barely/not even cracked 30.

I always figure it is about a 5:1 ratio, timewise, and it makes sense since we only see about 12 issues a year(most of time, sometimes only half, sometimes twice as often), and many multi-issue stories take place over a short period of time(hours/days). You have to do some hand-waving for historical dates, and even ignore on-panel time elapses to make it work, but when you look at Warren and Jean in the recent Uncanny #1, there's no way we are looking at late 30-somethings.
    All I can say is Bendis-era UXM, really, but nothing more specific than that. (and then, I'd perhaps add in dialogue from ANXM and maybe even Waid's Champions in which the Tyke and the 05 team make jokes referencing the 90s). But even then, PsychoEFrost's logic of mid-30s is still preferable than having them in their mid-20s.

That's not to say that Marvel isn't wonky with how they handle time or how they retcon ages to fit their sliding scale. But proportionately speaking, at some point, there was an age that seemed more reasonable given everything they've gone through.

(and the Beast comment was me being facetious. Since his late teens, his interests and habits are closer to middle age than something more age-fitting, even as a bouncy, happy-go-lucky Avenger.)

(p.p.s. assuming mid 30s their exploits are still hella impressive, to the point where the gap between mid 20s and mid 30s is almost pointless. Scott founding a nation at this age, Warren as a Stark-level playboy, Hank as one of the premier minds on the planet -- that's all impressive for a 60 yr old, but their mid 30s is -- while not impossible, is still incredibly rare, even in 616 Earth)

??

Based on the current time, Hank should be about 36, Jean and Scott are about 34-35, and Bobby is 33-34. They aren't late 30s, but based on the time skips, this should be where they're at.
    It just got me thinking, I feel like Peter Parker's been in his late 20s since the late 90s. His days as a science teacher better fit that frame, but then again, so does being a Mark Zuckerberg-type tech magnate (and back again). But I bring up Peter because he's supposed to be in the same age range as the O5 X-Men, but they haven't been written comparatively like that in ages -- the X-Men always seem older than Peter, even Bobby.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-06-2018 at 01:27 PM.

??

Should be and are happen to be two very different things. Scott and Jean are also the same age as Peter Parker, who isn't allowed to reach 30. Although age in comics is a very nebulous thing, changing on the whims of the writers. They could be 35 in one story, yet the next writer will state an age of 27 on panel.

BANNED

Cyke was more like 17 or 18 in X-Men 1. Iceman was explicitly 16, and the youngest. None of the others were aged initially. We saw their origins much later(in the 30's). Scott was almost aging out of the orphanage when Xavier recruited him, so 17/18 is perfect. We can assume Hank was already a senior in hs when he was taken by the Conquistador, and saved by Xavier, so he can be 18/19 in #1.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

Pretty much ^THIS^

JDW saying Jean is 27 is funny

Btw Welcome Back!!