• D---BELOW EXPECTATIONS

0 0%
  • F---HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

0 0%
  • DID NOT READ

2 3.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I voted for "B", because while I am really enjoying the book, especially issues 1 and 10, it hasn't really hit a really deep or intense level for me, yet, that the best runs have. Though it generally took the best runs I've read at least 20 issues before it really got to that point, so still plenty of time to go!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The book just really makes me feel like Spider-Man. It's the Dark Souls of comics, more so than the Dark Souls comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, that's my biggest takeaway (and joy) reading these issues: he really gets the voice for each and every character. Even Slott's biggest fans have to admit that, while he had his strengths as a writer, the voice for most of the characters was not one of them.
    Thanks, man. We're in agreement.

Ten issues in, and Spencer is doing such a wonderful job with the book. I think if he keeps writing like this, he could be one of the all-time greats.

His character work is amazing. Back to Basics is a great commentary on the character of Peter Parker and The Heist just shows why Black Cat and MJ are wonderful characters in the Spidey mythos.

I am really excited for the stuff he's planned for ASM. I can't wait for the upcoming storyline with Kraven the Hunter, which is gonna address Lizard's family, something that I am glad is happening. I also want to see what the deal is with the new villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Personally, I think Slott's biggest fans seemed to just be born contrarians
    I doubt popular opinion states that Slott's Spider-Man sucks. It's probably more in the mixed area, with some considering it one of the best Spidey runs and others considering it a disgrace to Spidey.

I feel that Slott's run on Amazing was about 5 years to long

With a character that has been around as long as Spider-man has , I understand Slotts attempt to just not do the same thing over and over and wanting to stir up the status quo

but sadly , it just didn't work for me

I went with B. It's a good run, but nothing that yet would make my All-Time favorites list, and nothing on the level of Spencer's Superior Foes.

Now to be nitpicky on the explanations for grades.

"Very Good" might be a bit strong as an explanation for a B grade. If a work is just good, it's just a B.

If someone had low expectations for Spencer and their grade was a D or F, it wouldn't be a huge disappointment, since they saw it coming.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I went with a B. The first arc was a solid A-/A for me, while most of the stuff after has been a C (except ASM 10, which was another A). Averaging that out is probably a B+, so thats what I'd give the run. Spencer has really surprised me with how enjoyable his work has been. Hopefully he continues his good work!
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I went with B. It's a good run, but nothing that yet would make my All-Time favorites list, and nothing on the level of Spencer's Superior Foes.

Now to be nitpicky on the explanations for grades.

"Very Good" might be a bit strong as an explanation for a B grade. If a work is just good, it's just a B.

If someone had low expectations for Spencer and their grade was a D or F, it wouldn't be a huge disappointment, since they saw it coming.
    In most cases, a grade of “B” is in fact “very good”, a “C” is “good” or “just ok” or, if you will, “average”.

In most cases, a grade of “B” is in fact “very good”, a “C” is “good” or “just ok” or, if you will, “average”.
    not in an asian family it's not

but jokes aside, that's my interpretation of grades too
    troo fan or death

I definitely overthink these things, but it seems to me that a C is no longer good. It is pedestrian, not worth rereading, except for someone who has a particular interest in an aspect of it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I've always seen it as A = great, B = good, C = average, D = poor, F = bad

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I definitely overthink these things, but it seems to me that a C is no longer good. It is pedestrian, not worth rereading, except for someone who has a particular interest in an aspect of it.

I don't really follow you on this; "C" by it's definition "average"-----not outstanding, not very good but not poor either. I suppose we could break it down further and say a C+ is good, a C is average/pedestrian and a C- would be subpar but I'm just trying to keep it easy to participate in here and not get overly bogged down.

Heh.

And thus all these ratings are meaningless.

I don't know what to make of ratings on a 10 scale either. It makes sense to me that a 5 is average on that scale, but I get the sense a lot of people think of it in terms of test scores and consider 7 average.

A = Amazing Spider-Man
    B = Baba Booey
    C = Crackalackin'
    D = Duuuuuuuuuuuude...
    E/F = EPIC FAIL