• D---BELOW EXPECTATIONS

0 0%
  • F---HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

0 0%
  • DID NOT READ

2 3.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rate Nick Spencer's first 10 issues

Well, it's been 10 issues and 2 story arcs since Nick Spencer took over ASM and became the first new voice on the title in a decade. Somewhat unexpectedly, he seems to have simultaneously returned the book to it's roots while moving the narrative forward in new and daring ways. But the big question is......what do you think of it?? VOTE!!

I give it a B Very Good. Im enjoying the character moments for everybody. I like the supporting characters he is using and I really like the dialogue. Im just excited to see where he is going with the character next wishing for some new combat feats for the Character and the reveal of the mysterious villian.

I'll give his first ten issues an A rating. IMHO they are top notch, near perfect work. The characters feel like themselves again which they didn't always under Slott. In closing, I couldn't be much happier with the first ten issues.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-30-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Once this goes through, it'll be a A vote. Having a blast. We're getting things I've missed. Spencer gets the voices.

I'd probably give it an A- so far. I wouldn't say "Near Perfect", but it's been really damn good. So many great developments happening within the stories and characters that are making this so enjoyable. Best issues so far for me are #1, 6-7, and 10.

Fantastic Member

I would have said a C but then issue #10 cae out and lifted it up to B. got potential to reach A depending on how well this centipede story goes.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Once this goes through, it'll be a A vote. Having a blast. We're getting things I've missed. Spencer gets the voices.
    Yeah, that's my biggest takeaway (and joy) reading these issues: he really gets the voice for each and every character. Even Slott's biggest fans have to admit that, while he had his strengths as a writer, the voice for most of the characters was not one of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, that's my biggest takeaway (and joy) reading these issues: he really gets the voice for each and every character. Even Slott's biggest fans have to admit that, while he had his strengths as a writer, the voice for most of the characters was not one of them.
    Personally, I think Slott's biggest fans seemed to just be born contrarians

I need to wait until Spencer's first year on the book is completed before a really fair comparison, but for me personally I would probably say Dan Slott's first 10 issues of his first run (Big Time, Revenge Of Spider-Slayers, No One Dies) is still a bit better to me, though Spencer's run currently has far surpassed Slott's first 10 issues of the Worldwide era.

Damn fine run so far! It’s funny without it being forced, it has heart, and action. Not only that but Spencer has the voice down for the character and Peter is finally the focus of his own book again.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Not voting but because I'm not a fan of putting grades on things but so far this run has been a pure joy for me. Loving it so much!

Prior to the relaunch, I really wondered if the next person to take over ASM would simply have too daunting a task in front of them, taking over after a decade of Dan Slott's highly successful run, but Spencer instantly made the book his own. Incredible job and he's only just begun!

Mighty Member

I voted A , but I'd give it an A -
    Yeah...the most favorite part is Peter back in a romantic relationship with Mary Jane
    I liked Spencer fixing Peter's relationships with Mary Jane (yes...I know that OMD isn't resolved) and Felicia

Spencer has me back enjoying Spider-Man comics again.
    Last edited by Starrius; 11-30-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Spectacular Member

I voted A. So far I have very little to complain about. I more or less dropped the book after the first arc of volume three so Spencer has really pulled me back in. Really loving his character work and dialogue so far.

I gave it a "A" , not that I'm saying it's near perfect

but I am really enjoying it , maybe a little silly , but thats something that been missing for some time now

it's been a looooong time since I actually couldn't wait to pick up the next issue , and I am now , and thats why I gave it a "A"

now if Spencer could just bring Harry Osborn back into the fold

I still wish JJJ would just go back to the Daily Bugle ,

but so far I'm diggin it

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    I gave it a "A" , not that I'm saying it's near perfect

but I am really enjoying it , maybe a little silly , but thats something that been missing for some time now

it's been a looooong time since I actually couldn't wait to pick up the next issue , and I am now , and thats why I gave it a "A"

now if Spencer could just bring Harry Osborn back into the fold

I still wish JJJ would just go back to the Daily Bugle ,

but so far I'm diggin it

It would be great to see Harry Osborn back in the fold, but as long as he's still in bed (metaphorically and literally) with Liz Allan, I'm hoping Spencer will eventually deal with how Liz got in bed (metaphorically, I hope) with Norman Osborn to establish Alchemax and have Peter (and Harry) call her out on it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.