Thread: RIP Gloria Katz

Default RIP Gloria Katz

Although not credited directly with Star Wars, she was one of the script doctors for the film, along with her husband William Huyck. They have been said to punch up the film's dialogue, in particular Han and Leia's banter.

In addition, they also wrote with Lucas American Grafitti, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Howard the Duck (Directed by her husband) and Radioland Murders.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

Sad news. I remember reading in George Lucas' biography Skywalking: The Life & Films of George Lucas (Dale Pollack, 1983) that both Katz & Huyck contributed to ANH's dialogue/script, but that it was uncredited. I'm sure they added a lot to the film, and the Leia/Han banter wouldn't have been nearly as memorable otherwise.

I also enjoyed Howard the Duck & Radioland Murders - both underrated films that have either been unfairly maligned (Howard the Duck) or forgotten (Radioland Murders) over the years.

And, of course, American Graffiti & TOD are both classics.

Yeah, also Brian Palma pretty much wrote the opening crawl as well, uncredited. Curiously, Lucas's original version doesn't leave much room for "Rogue One", as it basically states that the Death Star was constructed *because* of the first victory. De Palma's edit makes it clear that the theft of the plans was a result of the battle.

I think basically Lucas pretty much showed the rough cut to his friends and co-workers, and a lot of them helped to give some advice or fixes for the final edit.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth