Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Were the sales of Curse of Brimstone so bad?

Looks like Brimstone was well above the 20K sales number that typically is a barometer for a title's venerability to cancellation. Surprised to see it end up on the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Looks like Brimstone was well above the 20K sales number that typically is a barometer for a title's venerability to cancellation. Surprised to see it end up on the chopping block.
    Sales aren't the only reason a book may end.
    Sometimes, the writer and artist may feel they've told their story so there's no point continuing a series. Sometimes, a company decides on a different direction for a character / series. There could be many reasons for a book ending besides low sales.

I think it got a foil cover, that’s why the numbers jumped so much.

Always Rakzo

I believe it was never meant to last too long.

Which is a shame since is easily one of the best books that came from the Dark Matter line. While titles like The Unexpected and The Immortal Men got overall better marketing despite of being total garbage and others like The Silencer never managing to live-up to its potential, The Curse of Brimstone nailed a genre that I feel is lacking in comics these days: Horror. Justin Jordan was able to create a really good and emotional story that felt like it existed in its own universe and made me wish there were more books like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think it got a foil cover, that’s why the numbers jumped so much.
    Well, according to what Comichron had for Diamond's Top 300 comic books (based on orders comic book shops placed with Diamond),
    * Oct. 2018 = 89th - Curse of Brimstone #7 - 28,525 copies
    * Sep. 2018 = 180th - Curse of Brimstone #6 - 10,731 copies
    * Aug. 2018 = 165th - Curse of Brimstone #5 - 11,966 copies
    * July 2018 = 144th - Curse of Brimstone #4 - 13,741 copies

I never expected any of the series from that line to stay around outside of Sideways and Terrifics but I like that they at-least tried.

Sales might have had very little to do with it. The creative team might've finished their story and DC decided to end the book rather than get new creators. That happened with Lemire's Animal Man back in the New52, among others.

DC might've decided to drop the book to make room for another title they think could sell more. DC can only publish so many books at a time, so even if a title is above cancellation numbers, that doesn't mean DC might not replace it with something they think will generate more revenue.

Looking at the figures MajorHoy posted....it was probably sales. 10K by issue 6 isn't very comforting, and the sales for #7 were inflated by a foil cover, so those figures aren't reliable.

Brimstone is one of the New Age books I never tried out, but it makes me sad to see these titles come to an end. It's not surprising (except Sideways, I thought that might make it a couple years) but its sad. DC tried really damn hard to give us the kind of books we keep asking for, and the direct market (as always) threw that gift away and just kept on buying Batman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, according to what Comichron had for Diamond's Top 300 comic books (based on orders comic book shops placed with Diamond),
    * Oct. 2018 = 89th - Curse of Brimstone #7 - 28,525 copies
    * Sep. 2018 = 180th - Curse of Brimstone #6 - 10,731 copies
    * Aug. 2018 = 165th - Curse of Brimstone #5 - 11,966 copies
    * July 2018 = 144th - Curse of Brimstone #4 - 13,741 copies
    Yeah, I should have done more research before posting this. Thats clearly a history of well under 20K sales, with an Oct bumb. Mystery solved.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Sales might have had very little to do with it. The creative team might've finished their story and DC decided to end the book rather than get new creators. That happened with Lemire's Animal Man back in the New52, among others.

DC might've decided to drop the book to make room for another title they think could sell more. DC can only publish so many books at a time, so even if a title is above cancellation numbers, that doesn't mean DC might not replace it with something they think will generate more revenue.

Looking at the figures MajorHoy posted....it was probably sales. 10K by issue 6 isn't very comforting, and the sales for #7 were inflated by a foil cover, so those figures aren't reliable.

Brimstone is one of the New Age books I never tried out, but it makes me sad to see these titles come to an end. It's not surprising (except Sideways, I thought that might make it a couple years) but its sad. DC tried really damn hard to give us the kind of books we keep asking for, and the direct market (as always) threw that gift away and just kept on buying Batman.
    Agreed. I liked something from just about everything in the line (ironically except The Terrifics, because I haven't really sampled it, or The Silencer, not because I dislike it but due to me falling on and off with the series). I am especially shocked to see Sideways ending. That book was pretty tight knit, and I thought it would have been the "untouchable" series. That it happens right when Derek is logically leaving his "novice" narrative phase of heroing is even more surprising. His story should be elevating, not ending.

I will say that I'm pleased The Curse of Brimstone lasted this long. Still burned on how The Immortal Men, probably my fav of the line, got hosed like it did, so it was comforting that Brimstone, another soft spot for me, was able to last to 12 issues and an Annual.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 12-01-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Agreed. I liked something from just about everything in the line (ironically except The Terrifics, because I haven't really sampled it, or The Silencer, not because I dislike it but due to me falling on and off with the series). I am especially shocked to see Sideways ending. That book was pretty tight knit, and I thought it would have been the "untouchable" series. That it happens right when Derek is logically leaving his "novice" narrative phase of heroing is even more surprising. His story should be elevating, not ending.

I will say that I'm pleased The Curse of Brimstone lasted this long. Still burned on how The Immortal Men, probably my fav of the line, got hosed like it did, so it was comforting that Brimstone, another soft spot for me, was able to last to 12 issues and an Annual.
    Concerning Sideways, I'm willing to bet that the series will be relaunched after the event of next summer.

His series end in February, with a solicit hinting that it's not necessarily Limbo for him.

So, I suspect that in March and or April, he'll appear in the "Prelude" to whatever Multiversial level event will shake up the DCU, play a bigger role there (he has all the tools at his disposition to be a big player in this kind of story : the powers, the links to higher beings through Tempus Fuginaut, friendship with a Superman who's teased as a kind of Multiversial cow-boy, and the Unseen, a team of powerful but sympathetic beings from the Dark Multiverse).

I'm more worried about Damage, Brimstone, the Unexpected and even The Silencer, to be frank.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Concerning Sideways, I'm willing to bet that the series will be relaunched after the event of next summer.

His series end in February, with a solicit hinting that it's not necessarily Limbo for him.

So, I suspect that in March and or April, he'll appear in the "Prelude" to whatever Multiversial level event will shake up the DCU, play a bigger role there (he has all the tools at his disposition to be a big player in this kind of story : the powers, the links to higher beings through Tempus Fuginaut, friendship with a Superman who's teased as a kind of Multiversial cow-boy, and the Unseen, a team of powerful but sympathetic beings from the Dark Multiverse).

I'm more worried about Damage, Brimstone, the Unexpected and even The Silencer, to be frank.
    That's good that Sideways has some hope. Again, it really feels too soon and abrupt for his ending where it will be ending, and up to this point, DC seemed to have a personal fondness for Derek/Sideways. And as you say, his powerset and connections are decidedly rich and ripe for just about any stage, but especially a multidimensional one.

Damage and The Silencer seem to be trucking, too. Damage, especially, seems like he won't be going anywhere, because, again, it feels like DC likes the concept of Ethan Avery's/Damage's existence and aren't willing to readily give up on it. I can see him sticking around/returning after the reboot. The others are definitely iffy, especially with how The Curse of Brimstone's final issue is being touted in the solicit, or the mum-ness of The Unexpected (despite their subject matter or despite lasting longer than my poor Immortal Men ). The Silencer is a toss-up as far as I can see.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 12-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.

I think Damage could stick around a little, with cameos in JL books or something. But I think The Silencer's future will depend on Bendis : will he uses Abnett takes on Leviathan as a basis for his story, and thus make use of Quietus, Michael, Raze, Whisbone, The SIlencer and the whole cast of killers introduced last issue, or will he do something completely different. Because, let's be honest : Action Comics' Leviathan will be the definitive one for DC.

The Curse of the what now? Is this an ongoing book?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The Curse of the what now? Is this an ongoing book?
    Hum... Not sure if serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Hum... Not sure if serious...
    Don't worry looked it up. Looks really uninteresting.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics