Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2020/...ire-slayer-17/

Welcome back Wesley Wyndam-Price and Ethan Rayne.

And Spoilers for the issue

spoilers:
    Buffy entered the Hellmouth and Kendra was activated, We know this. However: The Watchers are aware that Kendra too, however ill advisedly, entered the Hellmouth. And yes there is a Third Slayer, and Wesley was chosen to be their watcher- so looks like it's time to welcome Faith back.
    end of spoilers
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I loved the new take on Wesley and the new "the watcher killer" mystery.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-02-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: how do i do spoiler tags?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I loved the new take on Wesley and the new "the watcher killer" mystery.
    Calling it: Ethan killed the Watchers.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike

I hope this Wesley doesn't turn into, as Willow once put it, the Marlboro Man this time around. I appreciate character growth but I just never bought Wes going full blown badass the way he did.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Calling it: Ethan killed the Watchers.
    That's likely but it feels too obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I hope this Wesley doesn't turn into, as Willow once put it, the Marlboro Man this time around. I appreciate character growth but I just never bought Wes going full blown badass the way he did.
    They could make him a trickster character like the Doctor. Outwitting his opponents through trickery and magic.

Really? Since it was done over like 6 seasons it seemed believable to me. It actually annoyed me on the Buffy side of things that Xander never got more competent.

Where he was in season 3 to me was the height of his evolution in my eyes. He was more confident, more of a leader, could fight like a boss, but still retained some of his quirky qualities that made the character unique. Him turning full on dark badass just didn't feel right. I get the character arc of a fall from grace and that he felt hurt and abandoned, but it just felt too much of a shift to the point he felt like an entirely different character. I felt you still could have told the story of him on the outs with Angel Investigations, being more of a solo act and getting close with Lilah and stuff while still seeing some of what made him Wesley in there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-17-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Really? Since it was done over like 6 seasons it seemed believable to me. It actually annoyed me on the Buffy side of things that Xander never got more competent.
    To me Xander doesn't have a whole lot to offer the team beyond emotional support. Outside of him joining the initiative there wasn't a whole lot you could do with him. There's the Watcher's academy but Xander was a poor student and Giles got fired due to season 3's events.

Where he was in season 3 to me was the height of his evolution in my eyes. He was more confident, more of a leader, could fight like a boss, but still retained some of his quirky qualities that made the character unique. Him turning full on dark badass just didn't feel right. I get the character arc of a fall from grace and that he felt hurt and abandoned, but it just felt too much of a shift to the point he felt like an entirely different character. I felt you still could have told the story of him on the outs with Angel Investigations, being more of a solo act and getting close with Lilah and stuff while still seeing some of what made him Wesley in there.
    So is it more of the execution than an idea?

Absolutely, I had no issue with the actual idea, from Connor to the falling out with Angel and the rest. That was all good tv. You knew where Wesley was coming from, you knew where Angel was coming from in being so monumentally pissed.

Anyone else think they should've started from Movie Buffy rather than TV Buffy?

Anyone else think they should've started from Movie Buffy rather than TV Buffy?
    If it was gonna hold Angel back for ages until they eventually got to sunnydale, then no.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    If it was gonna hold Angel back for ages until they eventually got to sunnydale, then no.
    They already seperated them and put them in two different solos. Would it have mattered?

They already seperated them and put them in two different solos. Would it have mattered?
    They also held Angel back initially, plus this wouldn't just hold Angel back, it'd hold everyone back
    Pull List:

Mighty Member

I would argue that part of the point of Dark Knight Wesley was precisely that he wasn't acting like himself. He's still hurting, and when cut off from his friends he's literally not the same man. That all he has left now is the mission. It's quite deliberately Batman-esque. The super badass Wesley, while cool, is SUPPOSED to feel a little off, and to do so precisely because that's not who Wesley really is, at heart. He's adopted a persona to cover his pain, and to give it an outlet that's constructive while also being just a little bit self-destructive. Which is also one of the aspects of his relationship with Lilah that I don't think is fully appreciated. While they both had real feelings develop, that relationship started as an excuse for them both to hurt themselves. It was meant to be every bit as self-destructive as Buffy and Spike in Buffy S6. The catch in Wesley-Lilah being that each of them was also just enough of what the other needed to actually change and heal themselves.

There's a reason that we get the more light-hearted, compassionate Wesley back briefly in the first half of S5. Wesley had to find his way back to that man. (Just in time to see him completely and utterly destroyed by Illyria. Ouch.)

Faith is in Buffy #20, and Wesley arrives in Sunnydale
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/kean...2020-solicits/
    Pull List: