Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Hellmouth was something i lost interest in but the end tease interesting.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

That I missed Angel being around in the final issue, did he even get more than a Panel? Honestly he felt almost entirely like a Plot Device through the whole event
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-25-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member

Hellmouth was horrible. No build up. No reason for them to be doing anything. Finishes off with a bunch of people showing up who had nothing to do with the main story. Every bit of discussion between Angel and Buffy was unsupported by anything in the comic and completely relied on the television show for whatever the comic was trying to show between them.

Sorry to be so harsh, but between that and the main Buffy title just jumping off on some tangent about characters I had no interest in I dropped Buffy, but finished off Hellmouth because I can't drop minis before they are done, and unfortunately dropped Angel because I just have no faith in how they are handling this IP.

Its cool.

I was also disappointed in the crossover but not as much as others. I found some small moments to enjoy or concepts that could be fleshed out more.

Right now I'm hoping the reboots can find their footing eventually. Maybe a case of the week structure would've helped more than a more serialized one? Or maybe a more distinct take on Buffy as she feels too safe compared to the others?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-01-2020 at 01:05 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, I was really enjoying both books before the crossover but the Hellmouth event really did take the wind out of the sails of, most especially, the Buffy book. It was just way too early to go for an epic story like this. It would be like if the second episode of the show was the Gift. Hopefully, they'll regain their footing going forward. And, honestly, I really hope that David Lopez starts bringing more of his a-game to the title. His work has just seemed rushed and slapdash in comparison to, say, Fallen Angel, which is where I first came across his work.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-preview-va...ining-jamaica/

I would've preferred this as a spinoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Yeah, I was really enjoying both books before the crossover but the Hellmouth event really did take the wind out of the sails of, most especially, the Buffy book. It was just way too early to go for an epic story like this. It would be like if the second episode of the show was the Gift. Hopefully, they'll regain their footing going forward. And, honestly, I really hope that David Lopez starts bringing more of his a-game to the title. His work has just seemed rushed and slapdash in comparison to, say, Fallen Angel, which is where I first came across his work.
    To be honest the Angel book was only not derailed because it basically just adopted Spike and moved on with its own storyline while Hellmouth was borrowing Angel and derailing Buffy
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Honestly i saw it as a season finale to Buffy. It mostly payoffs what the series had been setting up. I don't think the decompression helped. It being more case of the week might have helped flesh out the characters more.

Angel just feels tacked on and i wished they waited more before crossing over.

Guaranteeing Xander shows up somehow. Hell it could even be Will trying to magically revive him. Also: Tara.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Guaranteeing Xander shows up somehow. Hell it could even be Will trying to magically revive him. Also: Tara.
    Honestly, I forgot he died in Hellmouth and I'm not sure I want him back.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Hello.. I've only in recent months realised there's this new version of Buffy in comics..I once had the tpbs of Season 8 to I think 10 but never really read them and stupidly gave them away...so I'm really glad about this Boom Studios version...interesting that it's a re-set but still with the classic characters...I'm enjoying it...I'm grateful though that these characters are still being given life in 2020, 17 years after the show ended...I'm a comic book fan but I only clicked to noticing Boom's Buffy out of curiosity because I've been watching Buffy again right through because it's streamed on Amazon right now..I'm on Season 5 at mo, getting near to The Body...

Anyway, the comic, I love the quality of the artwork for the covers, that sort of painted style by Taylor and Aspinell..like Frison too but am familiar with her work (WW covers).. the art inside is good too, I like Dan Mora's work, not so sure about Lopez though, it's spooky, but "cartoony"...

I've yet to get copies of Angel but will do, for the moment I've ordered the Hellmouth tie-in issues...

Jon

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I've switched to trades on this but I saw the preview for issue 14 and, holy crap, what an improvement in the art. I don't know if Julian Lopez is related to David Lopez but his art is so much better and such a better fit for this book. The characters actually look like the actors but, more importantly, it's just damn good comic book art with particularly great facial acting. I didn't like Hellmouth so I hope the story improves but at least the book looks better than it has since Dan Mara left early on.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Who do you think the character at the end is ?