Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Retired

I know that people often get smaller as they get older. But that usually happens in their seventies or eighties. Old Jonathan is still supposed to be relatively young. But it shows how incrementally the idea of Pa and Ma was changed from when Byrne first introduced them in MAN OF STEEL. He probably did mean them to be in their sixties when Clark is full growed--and these gnomish looking farmer stereotypes. But the idea of them kept changing and making Pa a tall strapping youth was one of those incremental changes. It would be another rainy day project to pull out all the old comics and look at how artists kept changing the Kents and making them younger and more Hollywood attractive.

Spectacular Member

Who's the guy in the multi-colored suit way in the back on the ad with the 8 page stories?
    Last edited by Black Manta; 12-22-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Who's the guy in the multi-colored suit way in the back on the ad with the 8 page stories?

Steve Ditko's The Odd Man.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-22-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Retired

Back in 1964 Hasbro came out with the first G.I. Joe dolls and DC helped promote the product. They featured G.I. Joe in two issues of SHOWCASE--53 (November-December 1964) and 54 (January-February 1965), on sale in September and November of 1964, respectively. Close enough to Christmas for every boy to put the doll on his wishlist for Santa. This ad appeared in BATMAN 168 (December 1964), on sale in October, 1964--

The doll was also heavily advertised on TV and kids like me harangued their parents for any and all things to do with the soldier. Woe to parents, because it was a lot of money to acquire all that stuff. I didn't get that much from my parents or my aunt and uncle. But I dreamed of getting everything. I don't remember my parents taking any joy in seeing me play with my new toy on Christmas day--I just remember them yelling at me to get out from under foot while they worried over putting the turkey in the oven on time. This ad is from DETECTIVE COMICS 348 (February 1966), on sale near Christmas of 1965.

But in the comics, Andy & George had all the things. And I despised them. Two rich kids, obviously, who had everything given to them on a silver platter by indulgent parents. The Andy & George ads were by prominent DC war artist Irv Novick, who brought to life exciting battle adventures that G.I. Joe would have, if you could just get all the Hasbro products for your military campaign. This ad is from WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 163 (December ’66), on sale in October of 1966.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Back in 1964 Hasbro came out with the first G.I. Joe dolls and DC helped promote the product. They featured G.I. Joe in two issues of SHOWCASE--53 (November-December 1964) and 54 (January-February 1965), on sale in September and November of 1964, respectively. Close enough to Christmas for every boy to put the doll on his wishlist for Santa. This ad appeared in BATMAN 168 (December 1964), on sale in October, 1964--

The doll was also heavily advertised on TV and kids like me harangued their parents for any and all things to do with the soldier. Woe to parents, because it was a lot of money to acquire all that stuff. I didn't get that much from my parents or my aunt and uncle. But I dreamed of getting everything. I don't remember my parents taking any joy in seeing me play with my new toy on Christmas day--I just remember them yelling at me to get out from under foot while they worried over putting the turkey in the oven on time. This ad is from DETECTIVE COMICS 348 (February 1966), on sale near Christmas of 1965.

But in the comics, Andy & George had all the things. And I despised them. Two rich kids, obviously, who had everything given to them on a silver platter by indulgent parents. The Andy & George ads were by prominent DC war artist Irv Novick, who brought to life exciting battle adventures that G.I. Joe would have, if you could just get all the Hasbro products for your military campaign. This ad is from WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 163 (December ’66), on sale in October of 1966.

Yeah, unlike those two brats ;-), I only owned one of them myself (the astronaut G.I. Joe - I got it in 1970 for my fifth Christmas).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

From 1961: Atom's first appearance in Showcase 34.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

Nick Cardy on the pencils, I presume. The house ad featuring his cover work for a 100-Page Super Spectacular (DC-15 and also starring Superboy) from 1973 may be the first one I ever saw (outside of Gold Key).

From 1958:

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

DC used to be of good cheer and spread good will to all . . .

From THE ATOM No. 11 (February-March 1964) on sale in December of 1963 (originally published in 1954)--

From SUGAR AND SPIKE No. 69 (February-March 1967) on sale in December of 1966--

From JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 51 (February 1967) on sale in December of 1966--

Merry Christmas!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Happy 1971 new years!

[IMG][/IMG]

Mazing man!

[IMG][/IMG]

Are you NOT reading this book? (cleaver ad)

[IMG][/IMG]

Retired

First SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE (March-April 1958), on sale January 14th, 1958.

This ad scared me when I was a kid. SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 77 [G-39] (September-October 1967), on sale June 29th, 1967.

It's a mod mod mod world. SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 80 (January 1968), on sale November 9th, 1967.

BANNED

Default How DC used to promote thier comics

I guess what made me think about their age was after reading m & a 1 and seeing what how wade look compared to snake amd stakler. I know snake had plastic sugary but then why does stakler look so young and do not forget about Tommy in the comics.

Retired

Some DC Symbol-ism.

America's Greatest Comics Characters--circa 1948.

Now More Than Ever--from BUZZY No. 38 (July-August 1951)

For the Best in Comics Entertainment--circa 1957

Retired

My favourite were the Go-Go Checks!