Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    "One of these ads is not like the others,
    One of these ads doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which ad is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?"
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

It's the one with joker on it right? He is only on one ad. Darn joker.

Retired

DC Pride

June 1955

August 1955

Retired

DC in 1942

SUPERMAN No. 16 (May-June 1942)/LEADING COMICS No. 2 (Spring 1942)/BATMAN No. 11 (June/July 1942)

WORLD'S FINEST COMICS No. 6 (Summer 1942)/ADVENTURE COMICS No. 75 (June 1942)

BATMAN No. 13 (October-November 1942)

Ad for bugs bunny meets justice league stage show! Really!

[IMG][/IMG]

And part 2--in space!

[IMG][/IMG]

Join superman's fan club and buy his super suits! (will they let you smash through wall or fly? If yes then i'll buy one!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Retired

1946. Anti-Knock Power.

1947. Breakfast of Champions.

1966. Heat Before Reading.

Retired

Public Appearances

July 3, 1940, Superman Day, New York World's Fair

June 25, 1966, Shea Stadium

1977, Sea World

Here's a couple of ads for DC's Tabloid Editions from 1975. They were actually called "Super-Size" in the ads, but that name never seemed to catch on with the fans as DC editorial called them "tabloids," and Marvel fans called them by Marvel's name, "Treasury Editions."

This tabloid ad below the subscription ad highlights a Super-Size edition that never actually came out -- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. If these pages exist somewhere, it would be nice to see the book finally published.

Retired

I was really looking forward to the King Arthur comic, but nothing else was ever announced. I can only imagine it would have been just as good as the Bible--which I was also hoping to see get another volume. Nestor Redondo was one of my favourite artists. But I've never seen any pages from this abandoned project, although some must have existed.

Retired

Long before the Comics Code Authority, comic book publishers worried about their public image. Max Gaines, who seemed to be as interested in educating his readers as entertaining them, was instrumental in bringing in an Editorial Advisory Board for all the books under the DC umbrella. This is how he first met with William Moulton Marston, who was one of the illustrious personages on DC's Editorial Advisory Board.

The board members were promoted on the inside front cover--this one from ADVENTURE COMICS No. 68 (November 1941).

DC was not alone in gathering a bunch of elites to staff their Editorial Advisory Board. Other comics publishers did the same. As you can see with CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES No. 22 (March 26, 1943), Fawcett's Board was well-stacked with luminaries--with no less than Eleanor Roosevelt, Admiral Byrd, Reverand Tynan--as well as Dr. Allan Roy Dafoe, who played a dubious role as the Dionne quintuplet's physician, but at the time was still famous and not infamous in that position.

Not to be outdone, DC would add other famous names to their Board, including Pearl S. Buck, as recorded on this inside front cover page for WONDER WOMAN No. 21 (January-February 1947).

I wonder just what the incentive was for these renowned figures to lend their names to the funny books.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Long before the Comics Code Authority, comic book publishers worried about their public image. Max Gaines, who seemed to be as interested in educating his readers as entertaining them, was instrumental in bringing in an Editorial Advisory Board for all the books under the DC umbrella. This is how he first met with William Moulton Marston, who was one of the illustrious personages on DC's Editorial Advisory Board.

The board members were promoted on the inside front cover--this one from ADVENTURE COMICS No. 68 (November 1941).

DC was not alone in gathering a bunch of elites to staff their Editorial Advisory Board. Other comics publishers did the same. As you can see with CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES No. 22 (March 26, 1943), Fawcett's Board was well-stacked with luminaries--with no less than Eleanor Roosevelt, Admiral Byrd, Reverand Tynan--as well as Dr. Allan Roy Dafoe, who played a dubious role as the Dionne quintuplet's physician, but at the time was still famous and not infamous in that position.

Not to be outdone, DC would add other famous names to their Board, including Pearl S. Buck, as recorded on this inside front cover page for WONDER WOMAN No. 21 (January-February 1947).

I wonder just what the incentive was for these renowned figures to lend their names to the funny books.
    I see The Fighting Marine was also listed on the first board. Very cool!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I see The Fighting Marine was also listed on the first board. Very cool!
    Lt. Commander Gene Tunney and his old rival Jack Dempsey made peace over Wonder Woman, for issues 1 and 2 of SENSATION COMICS. Tunney's letter was first used in the house ad for the debut issue

And the Fighting Marine's missive was published on the inside front cover page for issue 1.

A letter from Dempsey appeared in the same place of honour for the 2nd ish.

Not to be outdone, the inside front cover for issue 3 had a champion letter and I quote:

Dear Mr. Gaines:

I saw what your good friends, Gene Tunney and Jack Dempsey said about WONDER WOMAN in SENSATION COMICS #1 and #2. It certainly was swell of them.

Would you like to know what the other characters in SENSATION COMICS think of her?

Well, MR. TERRIFIC, THE GAY GHOST, THE BLACK PIRATE, LITTLE BOY BLUE and I think she’s absolutely “the tops”, and we’re all mighty proud to appear in SENSATION COMICS with her every month!

Sincerely yours,
    TED GRANT (Heavyweight
    Champion, alias WILDCAT)
    Now that was a long set up for a punchline!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Gonna post a few favorite Wonder Woman house ads, starting with this one from a personal favorite (though perpetually forgotten) era:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

And of course this precursor of great things to come:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

And an (almost) bookend ad for the Perez run: