Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    Retired

Not a regular thing but, if I was with my parents in the department store, I could convince them to buy me the comics there--however, unlike the drugstore, the department store always had the comics in "comic pacs." These usually had three or four comics per plastic pack. This meant you knew what two of the comics were (the ones facing out) but not the ones in the middle. It was a gamble, but since my parents were paying I was gambling with the house's money.

Ad for a Comicpac featuring SUPERMAN 158 (January 1963). Note that these ones told you exactly what was in the pack--not so by the time I was buying them.

Super Pac containing DETECTIVE COMICS 417 (November 1971) and another comic.

Super Pac containing THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 106 (March-April 1973) and two others.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Retired

Recently started reading PETER PANDA.

Here's the house ad for the first issue, August-September 1953, on sale June 26th--note, as was the tradition at the time, the first issue had no number on the cover.

Curious that the ad says "Superman's Newest Animal Friend!"--even though the Man of Steel never appears in PETER PANDA. Perhaps the implication is that all characters published by DC are friends to Superman. Not that the Caped Kryptonian couldn't show up in PETER PANDA, if he wanted. The stories, drawn by Rube Grossman, take place in a human world. In the first issue Peter Panda meets Jimmy and Jane and they go on a search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, meeting all manner of people and creatures.

That little girl on the cover reminds me of mary jane from looney tunes. It's a girl who can change her size. (I guess dc owns these stories now as wb owns looney tunes and dc)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Retired

That Mary Jane and Sniffle comic (actually Dell FOUR COLOR 402) is by Al Hubbard, who started out at Walt Disney around the same time Rube Grossman was starting out at Fleischer studios. But they both were working on DC's funny animals by the late '40s and early '50s--so probably influence each other. And they both did work for other publishers like Dell and Better. Hubbard had the longer career doing adaptations of Disney cartoon characters through the 1970s (Grossman passed away in 1964). Their styles are rather similar, and maybe borrow from Walt Kelly, but Hubbard has more of that rubbery quality. Grossman's art reminds me of Ernie Colón's cartoon style.

DC did use mary jane in their looney tunes comic a few years ago. (that second picture I posted) but then dropped her again after that. Kind of surprised they never did a cartoon series with her.

Incredible Member

Promo ad for Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad Promo.jpg

Retired

In 1968, DC had these teaser ads for new characters introduced in SHOWCASE that were cryptic and maybe misleading--

The Creeper in SHOWCASE 73, March-April cover date.

Bat Lash in SHOWCASE 76, August cover date.

Angel & the Ape in SHOWCASE 77, September cover date.

Retired

More house ads for BAT LASH from 1968 and 1969 . . .

issue 2 (December 1968 - January 1969)

issue 3 (February-March 1969)

issue 4 (April-May 1969)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Pity the poor toy manufacturers who burn the midnight oil thinking of Superman toys they can sell.
    I actually had those. Not the Supermobile or helicopter, but I had the van, newspaper truck, and cop car. I think there was also a city playset, with a building with ramps and stuff, to drive them around in. The silliest part was that I wasn't even really a Superman fan. I'd seen the Christopher Reeve movie and Superfriends, but wasn't particularly attached to the character. I was just 6 years old, and my parents thought toy cars would be fun for me.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Found out that Wonder Woman got on the Justice Society of America by DC asking readers if they wanted to see her on there (yes, she started as secretary, though still), as well as many of them asking if Wonder Woman could get her own solo series as well, as advertised in All-Star Comics #12 (1942).

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out why DC won't collect Ordway's Power of Shazam series... they had the perfect opportunity, but that ship's probably already sailed.

At the very least give us a coffee table book of the beautiful painted covers!
    https://www.amazon.com/Power-Shazam-.../dp/1401299415
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Found out that Wonder Woman got on the Justice Society of America by DC asking readers if they wanted to see her on there (yes, she started as secretary, though still), as well as many of them asking if Wonder Woman could get her own solo series as well, as advertised in All-Star Comics #12 (1942).
    In the house ad for SENSATION COMICS No. 5 (May 1942)--on the newsstands March 6th--this missive is from Alice Marble.

Elsewhere in that issue, a house ad for ALL-STAR COMICS asks the reader “Do you want us to be represented in the Justice Society of America”--and the reader is asked to nominate their choice for membership in the JSA from the SENSATION characters: the Wildcat, Wonder Woman, Mr. Terrific, the Black Pirate, the Gay Ghost and Little Boy Blue.

eBnR8b4kHjlVD2p3jLyWHMU43oKe_qnBA65K6F1s6QOiGSddeWUfvAbyLBc67U0ktuQ8q-KBrIvf2Q=s1600.jpg

A thousand free copies of SENSATION were sent to entrants and everyone got a free Wonder Woman button--you didn’t have to vote for WW to get the reward.

Retired

I like this house ad for SUPERBOY No. 93 (December 1961) as it highlights things that the Superboy concept (the adventures of Superman as a boy) added to the Superman mythology: Lana Lang, Krypto, Jonathan and Martha Kent (not John and Mary or Eben and Enid) and Lex Luthor as Clark's friend (note that, before this, Luthor had no first name, it was the Superboy stories that revealed him as Lex).

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Sweet!!!

Now let's hope DC actually finishes it...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES