Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Yes, the original Crisis logo is one of the worst logos ever created in the history of comics, quite frankly.

Having "DC Universe:" as part of the title makes an already long title even longer; it adds nothing and is actually less dramatic; the word "Universe" dominates to go good effect, and the attached DC logo doesn't fit well with the rest.

Thankfully, it never went past the house ad stage. The final title and logo is classic and dramatic -- the way a groundbreaking event comic should be titled.

In 83 dc will get it's punisher!

[IMG][/IMG]

DC is on the move in 82!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Kirby blockbuster!

[IMG][/IMG]

Retired

Given the 40th anniversary . . .

The Great Superman Movie Contest (circa 1977)

The Second Superman the Movie Contest (circa 1978)

The Famous Clark Bar Superhero Sweepstakes (circa 1978)

So where was "gotham" they took the kid to and I wonder what comic they showed up in?

^They say in the description it's New York City. Got to tour the DC offices. Would have been a cool time to visit.

Retired

Gotham is a name for New York City, like the Big Apple.

I was trying to find other ads for the Superman movie contests, but my internet search didn't turn them up. I seem to recall they showed the prizes. I think one prize was a Superman belt buckle [edit: see below]*. But I couldn't enter these contests, living in Canada. However, a lot of comics were probably ruined by people cutting up their comics to enter the contests.

*Actually now I remember that was the Bicentennial contest--

Last edited by Jim Kelly; 12-16-2018 at 11:11 AM.

1987 ad for the world of smallville!

[IMG][/IMG]

Extraordinary Member

1979, I think

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    1979, I think

Boy this makes me nostalgic. Not only was it a great read, but it's a two-issue murder mystery, all occurring within the JLA Satellite, with a very high Detecting/Thinking:Punching/Detonating/Etc. ratio, that the promotion of the time refers to as an "Event."

IMO, this kind of thing would be a nice break from the kind of Apocalypse Fatigue mentioned elsewhere on these boards.

(PS: No, Identity Crisis is not the same thing)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Boy this makes me nostalgic. Not only was it a great read, but it's a two-issue murder mystery, all occurring within the JLA Satellite, with a very high Detecting/Thinking:Punching/Detonating/Etc. ratio, that the promotion of the time refers to as an "Event."

IMO, this kind of thing would be a nice break from the kind of Apocalypse Fatigue mentioned elsewhere on these boards.

(PS: No, Identity Crisis is not the same thing)
    I agree on all counts.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    1987 ad for the world of smallville!

It always struck me as a sign of DC's hypocrisy with the new 1986 Superman, where the continuity changes were supposed to be permanent and nailed down, yet Ma and Pa Kent kept changing in appearance, almost every year it seemed. You can see right there in this ad how Byrne had them as two diminutive elderly people--but somehow Jonathan is now several inches taller in his youth--what happened to shrink him down? At least when the artists wanted to change the look of Ma and Pa back in 1968 they manufactured a reason for the change.

1987 ad for the spectre.

[IMG][/IMG]

1986 ad for the denom.

[IMG][/IMG]

The event of the year! Over 30 crossovers!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It always struck me as a sign of DC's hypocrisy with the new 1986 Superman, where the continuity changes were supposed to be permanent and nailed down, yet Ma and Pa Kent kept changing in appearance, almost every year it seemed. You can see right there in this ad how Byrne had them as two diminutive elderly people--but somehow Jonathan is now several inches taller in his youth--what happened to shrink him down? At least when the artists wanted to change the look of Ma and Pa back in 1968 they manufactured a reason for the change.
    People tend to get shorter when they get old. It might be a little exaggerated with Pa Kent, but it happens. Also, I think it's funny that out of context, and not knowing this was part of the "Millenium" crossover, one might see this ad and say, "What the hell is a Manhunter doing just standing there behind them??" When they've never been shown as part of Superman lore (and I believe never was again)