Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    This isn't bad. The movies could probably use a bit more detail, but this works.
    Ah okay then? Re you like grading this stuff? And I did Sponge Bob because Optimus Prime has already been in a Namco Smash Rip off game and Goku is in fan based mod Smash Thing ( And there are Gameboy smash games too with Shounen job. But have a different system so a little more unique.)

And really, I did not detail moves that much because describing what I did is a clear picture of what you requested. And I got stuff to do.

I just check on forum on occasion because it takes the pain away.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Ah okay then? Re you like grading this stuff? And I did Sponge Bob because Optimus Prime has already been in a Namco Smash Rip off game and Goku is in fan based mod Smash Thing ( And there are Gameboy smash games too with Shounen job. But have a different system so a little more unique.)

And really, I did not detail moves that much because describing what I did is a clear picture of what you requested. And I got stuff to do.

I just check on forum on occasion because it takes the pain away.
    I'm not grading you or anything. I was just answering you because you asked "How was that?". I wanted to give you some kind of feedback.

I have zero skill whatsoever, so it is a bit of a barrier for me XD

So, got any ideas?
    You can't really commercialize a fighting game with copyrighted characters.

Making a fighting game though? That's doable, even if you haven't made games before. Namely because you can usually put together something with assets you can purchase fairly cheaply, with little to no programming experience

Of course, it's not quite as simple as I'm making it sound. For this case, you'll need a lot of customized assets, a lot of which is 3D, which can be quite expensive. Besides, the quality of the game is not going to be anywhere close to Super Smash Bros, I can tell you that straight up. A lot of effort went into making SSB a polished, professional tier game, which you probably can't afford.

But provided you have fully rigged and animated character models and environment ready to go, you can probably get a game out pretty cheaply if you look hard enough. Off the top of my head, I can think of fighting game frameworks that cost anywhere between $100 and $300, depending on the degree of customization you need. I don't know of any frameworks custom tailored to Super Smash Bros, but given it's popularity, there probably is something available out there. (I don't want to give the impression that a framework costing $300 means that you can make a game for anywhere near that amount though ^_^, there are many other expenses that come up, even if you make everything yourself)

That said, if you're planning to make the game yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. It's not a trivial thing to make, you'd be better off starting with something simpler to learn the ropes first.
    Last edited by Sol_M; 12-02-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Oh yeah. Sol is quite right. Super Smash game is by far a challenge to do, not a beginner thing in programing.

I mean, I don't want to discourage anyone. It's obviously very doable if you're willing to either spend time or money on it.

You don't need mad skillz to clone a Super Smash game with reskinned characters in this day and age.

But yeah, it's either going to cost money for something you can't commercialize (which sounds like a waste, why would you pay people to make a game that's just a knockoff of an existing game if you can't even make money off it) or it's going to require you develop some basic skills (which is only something you'd do if you're genuinely interested in sticking to it).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    I mean, I don't want to discourage anyone. It's obviously very doable if you're willing to either spend time or money on it.

You don't need mad skillz to clone a Super Smash game with reskinned characters in this day and age.

But yeah, it's either going to cost money for something you can't commercialize (which sounds like a waste, why would you pay people to make a game that's just a knockoff of an existing game if you can't even make money off it) or it's going to require you develop some basic skills (which is only something you'd do if you're genuinely interested in sticking to it).
    Yeah, this is all true.

But at the end of the day, this is just meant to be a fun thought exercise, not an actual video game, so I don't much mind the infeasibility of it.

Yeah, this is all true.

But at the end of the day, this is just meant to be a fun thought exercise, not an actual video game, so I don't much mind the infeasibility of it.
    Give it a couple of years. You'll probably be able to make a game like this for almost no cost or any skills whatsoever. It's just the direction we're headed.

Extraordinary Member

Give it a couple of years. You'll probably be able to make a game like this for almost no cost or any skills whatsoever. It's just the direction we're headed.
    I don't really see myself as a game maker

I don't really see myself as a game maker
    So I'd gathered from your opening post. Hence my disappointment that this wasn't an actual game. :P

I do wanna see the posters in this forum (or their personas anyway) as fighting game characters. That'd be pretty hilarious.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I'm gunna be that guy and use my own OC. I sold, like, two whole copies of my book on Amazon, so I'm legit now.

Name: Strider
    Series: Graven
    Weight: Lightweight
    Entrance: Appears out of nowhere

Basic Attacks: Standard punches and kicks

Smash Attacks: Teleports behind the enemy to deliver a particularly hard punch or kick, dodging their counter-attack in the process (doesn't work in the air).

Throw: Teleports the opponent to the far side of the platform.

Taunt: Tips her hat.

Neutral Special: Swaps position with the nearest opponent she's facing on the same platform.
    Side Special: Teleports to the nearest opponent she is facing on the same platform and delivers a Smash Punch.
    Up Special: Teleports columns of Earth into her opponent.
    Down Special: Teleports opponent into the platform, causing it to explode and deal damage.
    Note: Specials don't work if she's in the air. As a trade-off, they do heavy damage.

Final Smash: Teleports opponents to the underside of the battlefield, forcing them to fall into the pits.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 12-02-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Woah, congrats!

Two copies is still way more than the vast majority of people.

Woah, congrats!

Two copies is still way more than the vast majority of people.
    Thanks, lol. The profits paid for my breakfast this morning. :P

: Given that his own material got erased and actual paper got burned in a fire. Yeah that is good.:

So who should I do next in the 10 list, or just go to a ic?

I got Sharpe, Cleric, Me, and Nik down in mind.
    Last edited by The Chou Lives; 12-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.

This is indeed a fun thought experiment. I once wrote up a sizeable document about making a Smash-style game of my many various characters, with an emphasis on variety of battle styles. Unfortunately, it appears to be lost forever. ;_;

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Whenever this kind of thing comes up, my brain prefers to do it in terms of more traditional 2D fighting games a la Guilty Gear or KOF. I was on a Guilty Gear forum once and actually began drawing up a rudimentary sprite sheet.

Anyhow, from that perspective, I always felt that Sharp would play like a fusion of Geese from KOF/Fatal Fury and Kliff Undersun from Guilty Gear. A hand to hand fighter with a ton of counter moves a la Geese, but with the randomised agreed body mechanics and install supers that restore him to Sharp Prime like Kliff.

He'd also have a metric ton of stances and rekkas that combo in and out of each other to make for some filthy mix-ups options.