Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Hero Vladimir

Default Who is the kindest and most benevolent character in the Superman mythos?

Well, this is a question I'm sure not many people were expecting. Who, in your opinion, can be the epitome of benevolence, good character and moral fairness within the Superman universe? Is that character Superman himself or someone else entirely?
    Superman.jpg

Probably Martha or Jonathan. Superman maybe loses points for his Superdickery stage in the silver age.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman/Clark Kent

Astonishing Member

Metallo

Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

1)Martha and Jonathan Kent
    RCO049_1462596467.jpg
    2)Clark Kent

3)Little Jon Kent

The three generations of Kents
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-01-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Retired

In the 1960s, Ma and Pa Kent could be just as nasty as anyone else in the Superman family.

Like I say, whenever anyone accuses Superman of being especially mean in the 1960s, any of the characters could play that role in a given story. It was a torch that was passed around among all of them, for the sake of creating drama and moving the chess pieces on the board to where they needed to be.

And Jonathan and Martha haven't gotten off so well in later years either, the way they've been treated in movies and TV shows.

Given the tendency for writers to always play dirty with any given character--even dear Krypto--it's hard to think of one that has always been benevolent. Perhaps Lana Lang's uncle, Professor Phineas Potter--his experiments often went terribly wrong but he always had the best intentions and was only trying to make improvements for humanity.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 12-02-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Mon-El obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Mon-El obviously.
    I was going to say Kara, because she's such a sweetheart, but you know what, I think that's right and it's actually Mon-El.

"Kal-El, you've doomed me to a thousand years of imprisonment in this living hell of the Phantom Zone in an attempt to save my life from poisoning that you caused! I will always love you as a brother!"

Lar Gand is a freaking saint.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I was going to say Kara, because she's such a sweetheart, but you know what, I think that's right and it's actually Mon-El.

"Kal-El, you've doomed me to a thousand years of imprisonment in this living hell of the Phantom Zone in an attempt to save my life from poisoning that you caused! I will always love you as a brother!"

Lar Gand is a freaking saint.
    I was gonna say Kismit, but....yeah, Valor wins.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Perry is probably the most earnest and manly guy in comics. He's a guy who pursues goodness and integrity with no special gifts aside from being a natural mentor and has been a model husband/dad/grandpa even if a little boisterous and clearly imperfect.

Krypto. He’s always a good boy no matter what.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Krypto. He’s always a good boy no matter what.
    Except when he becomes "The Colossal Superdog" or "The Mad Dog of Steel."

Supergirl. Except for the New 52 version. That one was an insufferable jerk.

Taking into account all versions across all main canon continuities, and also across all media (and presuming full sanity and no mind control), my Superverse "kindliness" rankings goes:

1. Martha Kent (easily the top choice for Superverse sainthood).

2. Jonathan Kent (drops only because of MOS movie).

3. Krypto (drops because of wildly conflicting levels of intelligence depending on story).

4. Mon-El (drops because of SUPERGIRL tv).

5. Jon Kent (will definitely drop if the alleged upcoming angsty angry teenager age-up is a permanent change).

6. Clark Kent (way too many versions of him being less than kindly to be ranked higher than here).

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Taking into account all versions across all main canon continuities, and also across all media (and presuming full sanity and no mind control), my Superverse "kindliness" rankings goes:

1. Martha Kent (easily the top choice for Superverse sainthood).

2. Jonathan Kent (drops only because of MOS movie).

3. Krypto (drops because of wildly conflicting levels of intelligence depending on story).

4. Mon-El (drops because of SUPERGIRL tv).

5. Jon Kent (will definitely drop if the alleged upcoming angsty angry teenager age-up is a permanent change).

6. Clark Kent (way too many versions of him being less than kindly to be ranked higher than here).
    Where does Supergirl rank in your list?