Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tom King's BEST issue so far?

Lots of debate about Tom King on Batman, so I'm wondering if you can pick out the best single issue he's written so far. Which one did you like the best, or for some of you, which one did you dislike the least?

Astonishing Member

Batman Annual #2 as the best. Have to think on the worst as I'm not a fan of King's Batman. More bad than good.

The Gun Goes Off

Oh... Batman. I’ll see myself out.

For the overall best I would probably agree and say Batman Annual #2 is his best of the whole run, but for my favourite, I would go with Batman #37, the second part of Date Nights. That was just one of the most enjoyable issues I read that whole year. So many of the series' funniest moments in this, and was filled with really great character interactions between the four, with nice examinations of their relationships between each other.

Spectacular Member

I would say there are three issues who stand out:

- The second annual, liek a few people already mentioned
    - The issue with the country fair, also some have already mentioned
    - I would like to add the issue abount Kite-Man from the War of Jokes and riddles

The worst issue:

- Perhaps not the worts, but almost every issue which was centered around Batman and Catwoman and their relationship 8excluding Rooftops, which was very good) fell absolutly flat for me. For example 44 (the worst), 48, 49, 50

Fantastic Member

#20, The Brave and the Mold. It addresses the relationships between fathers and sons, family, and how sometimes, you can never forgive your father for all of his failures to be there when needed but still be devastated by his death.

It's also one of the few issues that isn't derivative and rely upon nostalgia.

I actually loathe the second annual because it takes a major subplot and theme from Bruce and Damian's relationship that crossed over between Batman, The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, and Batman and Robin: Damian's quest to find one of the pearls that slipped through Bruce's fingers to show his father that trauma doesn't have to define Batman, so can hope and healing then excises that and Damian from the story yet includes Jean Paul. Which seriously? Snyder's 2nd annual references the same subplot and has more heart, which is not something I tend to say about Snyder's work.

Obviously, there are a lot of Damian haters who like that he was cut out, but overall I think it's not only overrated, but rather soulless and pandering. It's also not nearly as beautiful and heartbreaking as the issue of Montress it tied with for the Eisner.

Brave and the Mold though. That is one that gets better with each reading. It's one of the very few that I say about. It's pretty and thought provoking, especially considering that at the time Tim was presumed dead and the other Robins had each died and been evasive or unable to answer what comes next. It ties into Bruce's complicated relationship with death nicely.

The Christmas Special with Ace was sweet too, even if it showed yet again that King's Bruce is an idiot who misses the obvious. I liked the nod to the fact that he has a tendency to put clothes on animals.

There are several really really great issues, such as annual 2, the issue with Swamp Thing, the conclusion to the rooftop story, the kite man interludes in the war of jokes and riddles, the joker/catwoman two parters, and I will dare say issue 50 was a really lovely and memorable issue.

Annual 2 and the issue with Bruce and the boys at the fast food place.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

#35 Catwoman fighting against Talia and Dick and Damian arguing about Bruce.

Dick - well, probably the better question is, why didn't he tell us? He should 've at least told us.

Damian - I don't know. And I don't care

Dick - Ah, c'mon, kiddo, you can't...

Damian - What my father choose to do is the choice of my father.

Dick - What? What does that even mean?

Damian - It means he's batman... and I am Robin.

Dick - Wait? Did you just actually say that? like, out loud, say it? "he's batman! I'm Robin!"
    Those were words that were in your mind and exited your mouth? seriously?
    Maybe he didn't tell us cause he thought you'd come back at him with that.
    I have to tell you, son, I'm going to ask her to marry me.
    Holy moly! That's wonderful! Because you're batman and I'm Robin!

Damian - Do you not understand "shut up" Richard?

Dick - Fine, fine. I'll shut up, I will.

Damian - Yes, you will.

Dick - Because you're Robin and I'm Nightwing!

Damian - I hate you.

Dick - Yeah you do. Because...
    Anyway, here's what i think happened. Not saying it did, but i know him pretty well. So take it for what it might be worth.
    He wants to be happy.

Damian - Father is happy.

Dick - No kiddo, he's not. And the reason he's not is the reason he's not telling us or told us...
    Look, Bruce is a lot of things. World greatest detective, The caped crusader, The dark knight. All of it.
    But what is not is selfish. He gives whatever he has. You've gought with him, you know. Whatever happens, he bleeds first.
    But being happy... that's not bleeding. that's not giving.
    That's asking for something and it's not easy for batman to ask.

I love King writing Dick, and in this issue he proved he can write even Damian!
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 12-03-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Annual #2 is the obvious pick, so I’ll mix it up and say that I really liked #48 in the church.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    #35 Catwoman fighting against Talia and Dick and Damian arguing about Bruce.

Dick - well, probably the better question is, why didn't he tell us? He should 've at least told us.

Damian - I don't know. And I don't care

Dick - Ah, c'mon, kiddo, you can't...

Damian - What my father choose to do is the choice of my father.

Dick - What? What does that even mean?

Damian - It means he's batman... and I am Robin.

Dick - Wait? Did you just actually say that? like, out loud, say it? "he's batman! I'm Robin!"
    Those were words that were in your mind and exited your mouth? seriously?
    Maybe he didn't tell us cause he thought you'd come back at him with that.
    I have to tell you, son, I'm going to ask her to marry me.
    Holy moly! That's wonderful! Because you're batman and I'm Robin!

Damian - Do you not understand "shut up" Richard?

Dick - Fine, fine. I'll shut up, I will.

Damian - Yes, you will.

Dick - Because you're Robin and I'm Nightwing!

Damian - I hate you.

Dick - Yeah you do. Because...
    Anyway, here's what i think happened. Not saying it did, but i know him pretty well. So take it for what it might be worth.
    He wants to be happy.

Damian - Father is happy.

Dick - No kiddo, he's not. And the reason he's not is the reason he's not telling us or told us...
    Look, Bruce is a lot of things. World greatest detective, The caped crusader, The dark knight. All of it.
    But what is not is selfish. He gives whatever he has. You've gought with him, you know. Whatever happens, he bleeds first.
    But being happy... that's not bleeding. that's not giving.
    That's asking for something and it's not easy for batman to ask.

I love King writing Dick, and in this issue he proved he can write even Damian!
    That is a really poignant insight into Bruce's character.

Batman/Elmer Fudd
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It's a toss-up between
    The Ace origin issue
    The free Joker story before the wedding prelude

No, wait

We All Die at Dawn from Grayson that's all about Dick's tenacity in protecting a baby in the desert, with the best opening ever when Dick and Midnighter working together to deliver the baby inside a plane about to crash

Though if it's just Batman I'm gonna go with the Ace the Bat-Hound's origin story

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It's a toss-up between
    The Ace origin issue
    The free Joker story before the wedding prelude

No, wait

We All Die at Dawn from Grayson that's all about Dick's tenacity in protecting a baby in the desert, with the best opening ever when Dick and Midnighter working together to deliver the baby inside a plane about to crash

Though if it's just Batman I'm gonna go with the Ace the Bat-Hound's origin story
    I miss those times when each issue of Grayson was one of the best issues around. and now, we have Rick Grayson instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    The Gun Goes Off

Oh... Batman. I’ll see myself out.
    Hahaha, I literally came here to post the exact same thing.