Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sound manipulation or Necromancy. Neither requires you to reveal yourself and you can do or accomplish the same stuff as a telepath in addition to sheer mass extinction level potential. It's why we so rarely have street levelers with either ability. Given any time to play around, it becomes clear they are city scale or worse level threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Why does shapeshifting start at werewolf and precog start at Contessa? Too much bias in these power threads...
    I thought the "XD" would make it obvious that I was joking, but apparently not.

Besides, "Contessa's power" is really specific, "shapeshifting" is not. You brought it on yourself, really. :P. <---that was also a joke.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Neither requires you to reveal yourself and you can do or accomplish the same stuff as a telepath in addition to sheer mass extinction level potential.
    O_O Why would this be the coolest power to have in the real world?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Seconded, thirded, and fourthed. That kind / level of power plus the potential to subconsciously / unconsciously use it (or use it in a moment of passion) minus any real checks equals (to me, anyway) a lifetime stressfully spent worrying over maintaining enough self-control to not ruin the world.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Seconded, thirded, and fourthed. That kind / level of power plus the potential to subconsciously / unconsciously use it (or use it in a moment of passion) minus any real checks equals (to me, anyway) a lifetime stressfully spent worrying over maintaining enough self-control to not ruin the world.
    Being fair, there are only a couple of posts in this thread involving 'mass destruction', 'creating armies', or 'becoming dictator' being selling points for something to be the coolest power in the real world.

For me, it's a bit of fresh air; normally these kinds of thread abound with that kind of thing. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Because he can just bring them back to life, duh!

Who doesn't think a civilization of immortal undead is cool?

Although I have no idea how Necromancers and Sound manipulators "accomplish the same stuff as a telepath".

Also what's a "coolest powers in your opinion" thread without a poll? :P

So to sum up, we have:

Teleportation: 2
    Telepathy: 3
    Time Travel: 2
    Telekinesis: 3
    Shapeshifting: 1
    Money: 1
    Healing Factor: 2
    Omnilinguilism: 2
    Aura Powers: 1
    Super Speed: 1
    Luck: 2
    Animus: 1
    Probability Manipulation: 1
    Adaptive Healing Factor: 1
    Self Duplication: 1
    Bio-Manipulation: 3
    Sound Manipulation: 1
    Necromancy: 1

Some people seemed to be unable to decide between 2 abilities, which is fine, so I counted a vote to towards each.

Seems Teleportation, Telepathy, Telekinesis, Time Travel, and Healing are clear winners, followed closely by Luck/Probability manipulation.

Actually, Bio Manipulation is also primarily picked for healing, so most people just want to heal, it seems.
    Last edited by Sol_M; 12-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Also what's a "coolest powers in your opinion" thread without a poll? :P

So to sum up, we have:

Teleportation: 3
    Telepathy: 3
    Time Travel: 3
    Telekinesis: 3
    Shapeshifting: 1
    Money: 1
    Healing Factor: 2
    Omnilinguilism: 2
    Aura Powers: 1
    Super Speed: 1
    Luck: 2
    Animus: 1
    Probability Manipulation: 1
    Adaptive Healing Factor: 1
    Self Duplication: 1
    Bio-Manipulation: 1
    Sound Manipulation: 1
    Necromancy: 1

Some people seemed to be unable to decide between 2 abilities, which is fine, so I counted a vote to towards each.

Seems Teleportation, Telepathy, Telekinesis, Time Travel, and Healing are clear winners, followed closely by Luck/Probability manipulation.

Actually, Bio Manipulation is also primarily picked for healing, so most people just want to heal, it seems.
    Thanks for summing it up.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Thanks for summing it up.
    These kinds of threads are actually pretty interesting, because it really shows what people value.

For example, people would rather pick things in that are seemingly less effective in the real world, over things that would either already let them do the same stuff and more, or things that have vastly more utility.

If technology made it possible to sell super powers to people, you know how to conduct a market study.

Also, I can't believe I missed this, only saw it while summing up:

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
    I'd go with having an adaptive regenerative healing factor.

How convenient would it be to be highly resistance or even immune to any type of damage?

It would also lead to eventually developing any amount of physical super powers - super strength, super speed, durability, agility, super intelligence
    Just be careful, so you don't end up like this guy. :P

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I'd also like to change my answer to biomanipulation.

I've lost people to degenerative diseases and the like and it sucks. If I could have the power to spare others that sort of thing, that'd be tubular.

Also, I'd be able to modify my metabolism so I'd be back in peak shape again rather than my current slightly doughy self XD

I am willing to change my telepathy vote to bio manipulation depending on its level. Alter aging/metabolism, no more sickness, regen, ageless and evolving myself into any damn form I can think of and same to others?

Would gladly do that.

If could use it to create new life forms even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Because he can just bring them back to life, duh!

Who doesn't think a civilization of immortal undead is cool?

Although I have no idea how Necromancers and Sound manipulators "accomplish the same stuff as a telepath".
    Well, I would say for sound ma ululation it gets into the domain of music therapy, decibels, sound waves, etc. I am no expert, but I believe human beings can be culled into a trance by sound just as easily as they an be made to kneel or react to an unbearable noise. Theories also seem to exist that suggest what we see and interrupt is tied to sound. So, if you could manipulate that acutely, it would be like low level telepathy of sorts.

The necromancy I was thinking more like you could!just get your zombies to do and accomplish everything via control instead of having to TP people to do!the same stuff, but less efficiently given they can die.

Sound manipulation also seems coop!because you'd be the greatest musicians in history.

Well, I would say for sound ma ululation it gets into the domain of music therapy, decibels, sound waves, etc. I am no expert, but I believe human beings can be culled into a trance by sound just as easily as they an be made to kneel or react to an unbearable noise. Theories also seem to exist that suggest what we see and interrupt is tied to sound. So, if you could manipulate that acutely, it would be like low level telepathy of sorts.

The necromancy I was thinking more like you could!just get your zombies to do and accomplish everything via control instead of having to TP people to do!the same stuff, but less efficiently given they can die.

Sound manipulation also seems coop!because you'd be the greatest musicians in history.

Also certain sounds applies to light can make said light harden/ solid so could make light sabers/effects that way channeling right frequency. ( MIT and a institute in Japan have supposedly done it. Like a Mass Effect version of keyboard.)

Edited the poll post to reflect that.

Ya'll are so nice, wanting to help other people like that. It totally makes up for the "World Domination!" sort of posts (not that there's anything wrong about that either, apart from being kinda immoral). :P

I mean, superpowers and all, but I don't think this works as a scientific explanation.

You might as well say "song magic" or something if that's what you meant. You could be SuperBard or something.

Speaking of which, I remember a poster here making an OC with the ability to copy sound/music related abilities from anywhere in fiction.

So you could copy songs that make people fall asleep.
    Songs that paralyze people.
    Sonic attacks.
    Sounds that hypnotize people and make them follow you.
    Songs that turn people into frogs. (Ponds Chorus anyone?)
    Etc.

Pretty interesting idea.

Well, it's much cooler if they're raised as fully intelligent people that remember their lives, so you could slowly turn dead people into zombies which would slowly cover the world's population with undead people.

I'd have to think about what happens after, but it depends on a lot of things like whether the zombies still need food to sustain themselves.

If you could raise everyone as, say, Edo Tensei zombies, now that'd be useful. Everyone's stupidly immortal.

Hmm, I would say that being able to produce any sound you want doesn't mean you have musical skill.

Of course, SuperBard works for this as well.

What's your weapon though? Is it the Axe?
    Last edited by Sol_M; 12-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Healing and related powers are great, except it's like winning the big cash prize in the lottery. As soon as word gets out, everyone is banging on your door begging for you to help them. Eventually you either have to make hard choices, choosing who lives, who stays sick, and who dies. That is a heavy burden.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.