Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anybody else growing tired of apocalyptic crisis every week!

The poor people of the dc earth have had a hard time

You got the fall out of no justice

The totality (the moon blew up!)

Drowned earth

All within like a months time.

Is it me or can we just have the super heroes fighting crime rings or something?

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post

Drowned earth

Is it me or can we just have the super heroes fighting crime rings or something?
    If you ever ask "is it ever just me?" the answer is always no.

I want more stories big and small.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    If you ever ask "is it ever just me?" the answer is always no.

I want more stories big and small.
    Forgot the heroes in crisis. THe poor citizens have been through heck and back!

Mighty Member

Drowned earth

Superheroing is a tough gig.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I just think every story arc being some sort cataclysmic catastrophe is getting old

I just think every story arc being some sort cataclysmic catastrophe is getting old
    Change up what you're reading.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

When everything is a crisis, then nothing is crisis.

It would almost be refreshing to have some stories about superheroes pitting themselves against bank robbers and street muggers as of old again. I do wonder how the modern generation of writers would handle such stories.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

It would almost be refreshing to have some stories about superheroes pitting themselves against bank robbers and street muggers as of old again. I do wonder how the modern generation of writers would handle such stories.

I'm working on some stuff like that myself. It's funny that one of the considered best villain moments in modern superhero movies is Joker robbing a bank but in the comics he's 3 entities that can't die or whatever.

Mighty Member

There's no story there. They can handle a random bank robber and street mugger in seconds flat. That's barely a warm up. I think cosmic menaces and other stuff of that nature have more weight. There's more you can do with it. Wonder Woman taking down bank robber just sounds boring. I don't like boring comics unless I want to read newspaper comic strips or something.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    There's no story there. They can handle a random bank robber and street mugger in seconds flat. That's barely a warm up. I think cosmic menaces and other stuff of that nature have more weight. There's more you can do with it. Wonder Woman taking down bank robber just sounds boring. I don't like boring comics.
    It's all in the way you tell the story. You could have goofy looking blockheads with tommy guns and big suits bust in a bank. From their it could be played straight or for laughs. Hell just look at the heists and robberies from the Payday video game series, that stuff is very much in league with superheroes and not boring at all.

Effort is what makes a story exciting and not boring, not the premise.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It's all in the way you tell the story. You could have goofy looking blockheads with tommy guns and big suits bust in a bank. From their it could be played straight or for laughs. Hell just look at the heists and robberies from the Payday video game series, that stuff is very much in league with superheroes and not boring at all.

Effort is what makes a story exciting and not boring, not the premise.
    I totally agree.
    Heroes are more than just powers and stats.

This whole idea that superheroes must have tragedy because being a hero is tough is fine as long as it's balanced with enough reward and reasons why the heroes would want to continue doing it.
    And 'just cause they have powers' is not a reason.
    Otherwise, superhero comics become a textbook example of why you shouldn't be a hero or do the right thing. Because it's too dangerous.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The level of casual destruction in DROWNED EARTH totally killed it for me.

That level of damage would end society as we know it, and it's kinda just there in the background.

These big scale events are just not interesting.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

While I don't care to see bank robbers, I'd like to see Batman tackle more weirdly violent crimes. Superman taking on corporate greed and evil tycoons.

The world doesn't always need to be ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That level of damage would end society as we know it, and it's kinda just there in the background.
    Yknow, I was thinking the other day how society must be impacted by all the crap that happens to the DC earth. I mean, in the last year the planet fell into the dark multiverse, fell into the Phantom Zone, was almost eaten by a space giant, was invaded by gods (twice), lost the moon, was flooded....and that's not counting all the "regular" crazy stuff like speed force storms, invasions of intelligent gorillas, militarized Bat-soldiers.....or just the building destroying chaos that is any superhero fight ever.

Its an earth where magic is real and anything can happen, and these people.....they're used to this. Somehow a balance exists. But what would that do to society? When any day could be the last day your planet exists, and you could walk around the corner to find anything from a Bloodlines parasite to a H Dial to Superman changing his pants......how long do you wait to get married? Do politicians play the same kind of games, or do they have to accomplish something quick or get voted out? How often do people go to a church, and how badly do they fight over religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    While I don't care to see bank robbers, I'd like to see Batman tackle more weirdly violent crimes. Superman taking on corporate greed and evil tycoons.

The world doesn't always need to be ending.
    I am definitely with you guys, the universe being on the brink is getting old. I want that sort of story in certain books. I want that in Justice League and Superman. Not all the time, but 50/50 is fine with me. I don't need it all the time in Green Lantern or Aquaman. I dont need it at all in Batman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Marvel and DC are too stuck in their ways to change and the set up of both universe leads to main thing Superheroes do which is fight villains that over time just gets bigger and bigger and the companies(and fans) are so stuck in their ways that they can't see a better(or another) way. For example My Hero Academia is probably the best setup for modern day Superheroing imo. In MHA superheroes are licensed pseudo police and EMT so while fighting super villains is a big part of the puzzle,Rescuing people is also huge part of puzzle. The set up of the universe has big government Hero association which license hero to do their job which means flaws of genre get covered somewhat for example

Silly Costumes- which is part tradition, part monetizing superheroes because superheroes need to get paid. Practicality matters but superheroes need to get paid, So showmanship and cool costume makes heroes more popular and the popular heroes get more get tons of attention thus merchandising and sponsorship.

Sidekicks-Young superhumans with powers have to go to school learn to use their powers, Get a provisional license (which allows them rescue people and protect themselves if attacked), Do a internship under a hero while at school ,Then be a sidekick for a hero for awhile.

Better explanation for hero stuff- Who pays things when Superheroes destroy?Why would the government let untrained heroes run around ? How do superhero keep their secret identity (they have large government group backing them up)? Why aren't heroes more organized working together?

Less Hero vs Hero-With all superheroes register and in one big organization you won't really get those clashes other than occasional corrupt government storyline. But heroes would be primarily focus on their jobs.

So what is my big overall point,That all these crisis situations make me appreciate MHA more because of the set up. They are Superheroes in MHA universe who exist to just save/rescue people not fight aliens, not fight super villains, just "oh crap building on fire let run in to save or no ship is sinking let me go and save these people." There is hero name Backdraft who is firefighter with the powers of Hydrokinesis imagine a solo book with that hero would marvel and dc make that? Now Marvel and DC have doesn't to change their set up to just focus on different areas of heroics but pandora box is already open and these universe constant events and amazing situations you will be getting they just make to much money. We just have to settle for occasional paradigm shift like the 50 state Initiative at Marvel which was basically what if Marvel implement MHA like system.

No you are not the only one tired of all of these events but you aren't forced to read only DC or Marvel, They are smaller companies,independents and manga with some interesting superhero stuff. Of course my first suggestion is My Hero Academia which captures the spirit of superhero comics and hero and villains are just mere city level threats.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-03-2018 at 01:55 AM.