Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Comic Book Creators Who Don't Like Spider-Man

Name artists or writers who admittedly do not like nor care for the character, or worked on stories for him and were uncomfortable doing so. It would be nice to name some of your favorite comics that involve their hands so we can appreciate work you like and they poured their hearts into.

Garth Ennis is known for not liking most superheroes, he killed Spider-Man and Venom before almost all the figures that were involved in the park battle in the Punisher kills the Marvel Universe one shot. You know it is easy to recommend his Punisher Max run.

Warren Ellis is not fond of superheroes either, but he did a good job writing comics for them. It's easy to appreciate his writing on Castlevania animated series.

Roy Thomas did not like writing Spider-Man stories, but he loved working on Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian comics.

Dennis O'Neil is another one that was not a fan of writing Spider-Man comics. His runs on Green Lantern and Green Arrow, Iron Man, and obviously Batman are famously well received great material.

Anyone else?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Garth Ennis is known for not liking most superheroes, he killed Spider-Man and Venom before almost all the figures that were involved in the park battle in the Punisher kills the Marvel Universe one shot. You know it is easy to recommend his Punisher Max run.
    Idk if he hates Spidey, but Ennis did write Spidey pretty well in Tangled Web.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

IIRC, Mark Gruenwald, best known for the original Squadron Supreme miniseries, a ten-year run on Captain America, and birthing the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, didn't much care for Spider-Man.

This is a very negative thread idea.

But I seem to recall John Romita Sr. not being keen on drawing for Spider-Man at first. I think he said he didn't want to follow Ditko and did it to "pay the bills".

Quote Originally Posted by Deonicles View Post
    Idk if he hates Spidey, but Ennis did write Spidey pretty well in Tangled Web.
    When writing main world Punisher he made him a dunce.
    He doesn't hate the character, more like he doesn't care about characters with super powers, and Spidey is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    IIRC, Mark Gruenwald, best known for the original Squadron Supreme miniseries, a ten-year run on Captain America, and birthing the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, didn't much care for Spider-Man.
    What gave that impression?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    This is a very negative thread idea.
    That's why I suggested recommending good runs they worked on.

He didn't want to draw Daredevil either and worked on him first. Something about liking romance more than superhero stuff, that's a reason behind Stan putting more attention on romance in his Spidey run.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I feel like I read Kate Leth (Vampirella, Hellcat) say something dismissive about Spider-Man before, but I can't recall exactly what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I read Kate Leth (Vampirella, Hellcat) say something dismissive about Spider-Man before, but I can't recall exactly what she said.
    She wrote a backup story for Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1, and I know fairly recently she was being very enthusiastic playing the Spider-Man PS4 game, so I doubt she doesn't like the character. She might have said something dismissive about Spider-Man at some point (but then again who hasn't).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    She wrote a backup story for Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1, and I know fairly recently she was being very enthusiastic playing the Spider-Man PS4 game, so I doubt she doesn't like the character. She might have said something dismissive about Spider-Man at some point (but then again who hasn't).
    It happens, particularly over the last ten years when they threw out a lot of Spider-Man's character development and growth just so they could reset him to a kind of nebulous "not exactly a teenager anymore, but might as well be, for all intents and purposes." I could see a lot of people being disdainful or dismissive of that iteration of the character.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post

What gave that impression?
    Mark Gruenwald was a very big fan of the traditional, more idealistic DC heroes. It's why he was so attached to Captain America, the Marvel hero most like them, and Squadron Supreme, Marvel's version of them. So I can see how Spider-Man wouldn't do that much for him.

alex ross?
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    alex ross?
    I could be wrong, but I thought he was okay with Spidey. It was Peter Parker whom he found intolerable.

Mark Waid doesn't seem to care about Spidey all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Mark Waid doesn't seem to care about Spidey all that much.
    That's interesting, considering his role in BND.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    That's interesting, considering his role in BND.
    Wasn't his Spidey considered to be one of the worst?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Wasn't his Spidey considered to be one of the worst?
    Um, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that "Unscheduled Stop" (ASM #578-579) was highly praised, and "Platonic" (ASM #583) was also well regarded. At least, that's what I remember.