Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Between Renew your Vows and MC-2: Which presented a better ending for Spidey ?

Between the current "Renew Your Vows" on-going series and the overall history of the MC-2 Universe, given what we know, here's a question for all of you Spidey fans that enjoy a "happy ending" for Spider-man: Which World presented a better happy ending for the Wall-crawler and MJ ?

Note I included these two world and not the other ones that presented Peter and MJ with a kid, since out of all of them: It's these two worlds that branched out into On-goings.

Well so far none of the main characters in the "Renew Your Vows" verse have been killed off so I'll say that RYV is the winner.

If Slott hadn't made the short sighted mistake of killing off MC2 Peter I'd say that the MC2 verse would have won my vote but alas.

MC2 was already a worse future for him than RYV, because he got injured and had to quit being Spider-Man.

BANNED

We still don't know the specifics about the history of the Renew Your Vows universe...how many of the classic stories 'count', what was different for other heroes in the Marvel Universe etc. It seems from the X-Men alone some of them never lost their 90s wardrobe. It's still early days for the title, so hopefully some light is shed on Peter and MJ's history there and at what point the timeline diverges.

MC2 in the meantime diverges from the Marvel universe we were used to in our childhood, drawing strongly from 90s era canon, but also from previous eras too, all while adding fresh things.

So for this old-school fan, until I know more about RYV, I have to go with MC2 representing a satisfactory ending for Peter and MJ. He did'nt let things like career-ending injuries stop him from resuming his career at times either.

MC2's divergence point is 1998, the year it started publication. For example, Jolt is still around instead of going to Counter-Earth, Anya Corazon (who appeared late in the run) is still Arana and not Spider-Girl and maintained her original status quo, and Jubilee never lost her mutant powers. Cassie Lang was never Stature either, and was older when she became Stinger.

RYV's divergence point is at some point prior to One More Day, which never happened. However, for the X-Men, it seems everything from 2000 or so (the point when they changed their uniforms) happened differently.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    MC2's divergence point is 1998, the year it started publication. For example, Jolt is still around instead of going to Counter-Earth, Anya Corazon (who appeared late in the run) is still Arana and not Spider-Girl and maintained her original status quo, and Jubilee never lost her mutant powers. Cassie Lang was never Stature either, and was older when she became Stinger.

RYV's divergence point is at some point prior to One More Day, which never happened. However, for the X-Men, it seems everything from 2000 or so (the point when they changed their uniforms) happened differently.
    Plus Magento's back on the attack and that Professor X may make an appearance in this given that around this time he's not with the X-men.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

MC2 was already a worse future for him than RYV, because he got injured and had to quit being Spider-Man.
    Yeah, I can agree with that.
    Although I prefer MC2, by comparison RYV is certainly 'happier'. Especially if we consider that MC2 Peter is dead now. lol

BANNED

Gerry Conway's interviews on the subject verify that OMD did'nt happen because Civil War itself never happened either. As for the X-Men, I doubt the events of "The Twelve" happened, as Scott Summers does look not like he's affected by the after-effects of Apocalypse possession.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-14-2017 at 07:59 AM.

I'm not really sure that there is a divergent point from 616 and RYV rather than them being distinct universes. Not only did the original mini show that the Avengers were still operating out of Avengers Mansion, Spider-Man had never been an Avenger and characters had completely different designs but from interviews, we know Civil War never happened there as well. It seems to be a case of similar but different.

The RYV seems to diverge shortly after the marriage itself; Kraven is shown alive in the original miniseries, meaning that Kraven's Last Hunt (one of the first post-marriage stories) didn't happen (although the original miniseries seems to show that Secret Wars briefly altered the timeline before it was fixed, so this may not apply to the regular series, which shows what happened after Secret Wars ended and the timeline was set back on track). Also, by the time of the RYV ongoing, Conway has said that Peter and MJ have been married for ten years and Annie is eight; so the latest divergence point is two years after the wedding when Annie was born.

I've been preferring RYV to the MC2 comics I've seen, although that's more because I'm enjoying the stories more so far. However, they do show the Parkers at different points in their lives (parents of a teen vs. parents of a grade-schooler), and are very different in tone (MC2 is basically like traditional Spider-Man in setup, while RYV is like The Incredibles), making it a hard comparison. (I suppose if the Spider-Girl world that Spider-Verse screwed up was the real MC2 and not a parallel universe one, RYV would be the happier place so far.)

MC2 was more of an ending (even if you don't count Spider-Verse) as Peter was in a position where he was no longer the main protagonist and where his life was relatively stable (the birth of a son being the only major change in his life over the course of 130+ issues.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Well, RYV isn't an ending for Spidey at all. On the other hand, MC2 is possibly one of the worst representations of Peter that I've read. So, for me at least, I guess the answer is neither?

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Well, RYV isn't an ending for Spidey at all. On the other hand, MC2 is possibly one of the worst representations of Peter that I've read. So, for me at least, I guess the answer is neither?
    Please explain how MC2 was one of the worst representations of Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Maybe "ending" isn't so good as word as "last known life circumstances?" (After all, comics never end; there's always one more story.)

What was so bad about MC2?

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I have to say, I never liked MC2 Peter - he was too much of a hardass, too angry, too eager to tell his daughter to quit being Spider-Girl. He never really felt like Peter Parker to me - he was the one glaring flaw of a series I otherwise liked. Plus I didn't care for the beard.

So I'm happier with the more easy-going (and clean-shaven!) RYV Pete.