Incredible Member

Default Multiple Man, the Nuclear Menace

I was thinking about pre-crisis Wonder Woman characters that have stayed in the dustbin, like Fireworks Man and Mr. Genie, and which ones are actually salvageable, and my mind wandered to Multiple-Man, the Nuclear Menace.

I've never thought much of the character, except I love that all he ever said, iirc, was "HRRREEEEEEEE!" but in looking at this panel, I suddenly thought that this character may be ripe with potential.

Multiple Man - the Nuclear Menace explained.jpg

A nuclear zombie? What does that even mean? And why was "it" drawn to Paradise Island over and over? I don't remember much about Multiple Man, but my lasting impression is that it was a character with only a smidge more definition than Kanigher's Giant Birds or Giant Swordfish that would occasionally attack members of the Wonder family.

Anyway, the idea of a shape-shifting creature created from nuclear fallout (if that's the definition of a nuclear zombie) is pretty nifty, actually, and given some motivation and definition, it could be a fun, interesting villain, I think, whether a vengeful mass of souls bound together or some extra-dimensional being piercing the veil between worlds in search of rare elements that sustain it. I'm just intrigued by the nuclear zombie, and I'd love to see a modern writer revive this whack-a-doo menace.

I mean, jeez - Multiple Man can transform into a volcano AND an iceberg!

LOL, I love these crazy characters...and I think they all could “work” given creativity and some time spent with them.

And, I cite King’s revamp of Kite-Man over in Batman as an example of proof.

I’m in the midst of writing a Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee and am having a blast trying to make these types of characters “work.” My approach is everything counts, kind of like Morrison’s approach to his Batman run.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    LOL, I love these crazy characters...and I think they all could “work” given creativity and some time spent with them.

And, I cite King’s revamp of Kite-Man over in Batman as an example of proof.

I’m in the midst of writing a Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee and am having a blast trying to make these types of characters “work.” My approach is everything counts, kind of like Morrison’s approach to his Batman run.
    Yes, for some reason, these zany characters work in Wonder Woman book. And while I do prefer serious threats, these wacky characters are also enjoyable!

Wonder Scott, I would love to read some WW Bible, dontcha' know? Don't forget me!

As I recall, Multiple mans origin was that it came from another planet in order to invade the Earth and its whole schtick was it was essentially a kaiju which could be killed but would then reconstitute into nearby elements, giving it completly different abilities and weaknesses every time.

One of the few reoccuring enemies in the silver age to boot.

Fantastic Member

I'm not a fan of the Kanigher era of Wonder Woman, but I have a special place in my heart for the first Multiple Menace story. It was dark and suggestive, like a weird twisted fairy tale. And it's strange to think the Multiple Menace debuted in the same story that spawned the Wonder Family impossible tales- almost as though Hippolyte making these infinitely creative stories impelled the creation of something equally and infinitely destructive.

Here's a blog post I wrote about it, way back when- (if you'll forgive the bad header graphics) -

http://stevetrevor.blogspot.com/2008...sible-day.html

Incredible Member

I can't believe I never picked up on the missile & the clam! Too funny!