Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know由agna Rok

The final arc of B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know starts on Wednesday. Here's a preview (obviously, beware of spoilers).

How many issues is this arc?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How many issues is this arc?
    5 issues, with 5 regular Mignola covers and I believe 3 Mignola variants.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This felt more like an epilogue than a real issue to me, but the art was beautiful.

It really was. I think if you read 10 and 11 back to back it would work much better. But that doesn't address the shortcomings of it as a single issue, let alone one starting an arc. The last arc, at that.

I'm increasingly worried about how satisfyingly this is going to end.

Amazing Member

I'm increasingly worried about how satisfyingly this is going to end.
    I've been worrying about that for most of TDYK. Everything feels like a rush to the finish without putting in the time or effort to give character to the cast. Even Hellboy feels like an afterthought. Where Hellboy In Hell probably benefited from a quicker ending and carried some emotional heft, BPRD needed time and room to breathe, even in crisis-mode. King of Fear was a crisis-mode miniseries and it still felt like the characters could have personalities and struggles.

Maybe the last four issues will be much more intelligent and introspective, but at the moment I'm somewhat disillusioned. This is not the end I thought we would get two or three years ago.

It's a shame knowing what we know now about this last cycle, that Arcudi didn't have 15 issues left in him.

Or I wish Mignola would have just written this last arc. I've enjoyed it so far, but Allie is not a good writer.

I quit reading this forum for lack of decent discussion or anyone contributing to the mysteries Mignola has opened up for us all through Hellboy. Mignola books always read better in trade or hardbound library editions. Ragna Rok is and will continue to be great because the last 25 years have been great. The end will be hard because it is The End Of The Hellboy Universe and almost all the characters we love will die, unpleasantly. Expect not to like it. How many characters have we lost in just issue 11? I had a real hard time with Giarocco's death witnessed by her son Connor. Will he go with Abe or be lost with those who do not go with him or underground?

What I really want to ask the forum members about is what you think is up with Rasputin saying he is the dragon on earth now and why he listed the "7 who are 1" by name just to say they have fallen. Thoughts...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hem View Post
    I quit reading this forum for lack of decent discussion or anyone contributing to the mysteries Mignola has opened up for us all through Hellboy. Mignola books always read better in trade or hardbound library editions. Ragna Rok is and will continue to be great because the last 25 years have been great. The end will be hard because it is The End Of The Hellboy Universe and almost all the characters we love will die, unpleasantly. Expect not to like it. How many characters have we lost in just issue 11? I had a real hard time with Giarocco's death witnessed by her son Connor. Will he go with Abe or be lost with those who do not go with him or underground?

What I really want to ask the forum members about is what you think is up with Rasputin saying he is the dragon on earth now and why he listed the "7 who are 1" by name just to say they have fallen. Thoughts...
    He was saying that the last one listed had fallen. That happened at the end of Hell on Earth thanks to Johann.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    He was saying that the last one listed had fallen. That happened at the end of Hell on Earth thanks to Johann.
    It was basically a Varvara origin story. And it was sad and deeply disturbing. I don't know if we needed it, but there it is. An followed by more death. I am not sure if they are going to have the BPRD win this one. In the words of Colonel Taylor, they might Blow It All To Hell!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It was basically a Varvara origin story. And it was sad and deeply disturbing. I don't know if we needed it, but there it is. An followed by more death. I am not sure if they are going to have the BPRD win this one. In the words of Colonel Taylor, they might Blow It All To Hell!
    Nah man. This issue is swimming in horrible prophetic subtext. Hellboy standing there motionless remembering what Edward told him while Abe screams for his help, seemingly preparing to do one of the two things. This run has been great if you池e watching Mr. Boy closely. He knows what is coming and what he has to do, and he hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    Nah man. This issue is swimming in horrible prophetic subtext. Hellboy standing there motionless remembering what Edward told him while Abe screams for his help, seemingly preparing to do one of the two things. This run has been great if you’re watching Mr. Boy closely. He knows what is coming and what he has to do, and he hates it.
    That slipped past me. But then a lot does in this series.

I still enjoy every issue - even if I share the fears and maybe dislikes shared here. I'm still waiting to start a "trade like" re-reading. Till now I'm pretty sure I will be satisfied...

Mostly sad to see this story ending so soon But whatever the end really is, the whole ride and the current art are frankly enough to make me happy. I guess that the secret of happiness is to enjoy what you get - and even the most depressing ending will make sense to me.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I am hoping that the "old acquaintance" that Hellboy gets information from is Baba Yaga. The story was supposed to be that he gives up his eye so that the witch can see into the next world and then return it to the hero. If not Baba Yaga then maybe O'Donnell?!? This NEEDS to BE BIG!! Thi
    Last edited by Hem; 12-11-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Made a mistake, sorry, can't figure out how to delete.
    Last edited by Hem; 01-05-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: trying to delete this post