Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    It's not a requirement at all, but I'm also holding Shang Chi to a higher level. I think his martial arts skills should be significantly above those presented for Cap and other heroes who also have super strength. Also since he's not wearing a mask like the Iron Fist actor he's going to be required to do at least a decent amount of his own stunts. Not all but certainly more than Chris Evans, Scar Jo and Chadwick have had to do. But sure you could just cast anyone and train them for a few months and hope it works out. In my experience especially with martial arts films high level actors like Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li etc. There is at least some martial arts base and it translates into the stunts. But Marvel doesn't have to go this route, so will see.

Unless they are going for a more unconventional approach for a more martial arts type film.
    True that, bro. Cap's fighting style in the movies was very technically sound and MMA-inspired. It takes a couple of months for someone to be (or at the very least look) effective with it. With Shang, though, yeah, you have to be able to get someone who can make techniques that look aesthetically beautiful and difficult to perform look effortless and effective. Thus, someone who does have the years of training could work.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Shang Chi’s performance needs to emphasis the “art” in martial arts

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Having a supporting role in Aquaman wouldn't prevent Ludi Lin from playing Shang Chi unless there were schedule conflicts. Randall Park is in Ant-Man & The Wasp as well as Aquaman. Laurence Fishburne plays Perry White and Bill Foster. Zachary Levi played Fandal and now he is playing Shazam.

It’s a little different if you are supporting. For the multi contract stars (Avengers) Marvel actually has a clause preventing them from being DC heroes during that contract.

Again I’m not saying it could happen but if he has a really prominent role Marvel is less likely to pick him. Still you never know he could have a good agent or kill it in auditions
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    True that, bro. Cap's fighting style in the movies was very technically sound and MMA-inspired. It takes a couple of months for someone to be (or at the very least look) effective with it. With Shang, though, yeah, you have to be able to get someone who can make techniques that look aesthetically beautiful and difficult to perform look effortless and effective. Thus, someone who does have the years of training could work.
    Also, Shang-Chi is suppose to be "The Master of Kung-Fu" which is a specific discipline unlike what Cap does. So not only does he need to know a specific martial art, he needs to be able to believably convey that he's THE master. Evans doesn't have to be technically perfect to convey that he can beat the crap out of a bunch of guys.

so what should a trailer be showing? Lots of fighting, or only a little? Major set pieces?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    It’s a little different if you are supporting. For the multi contract stars (Avengers) Marvel actually has a clause preventing them from being DC heroes during that contract.

Again I’m not saying it could happen but if he has a really prominent role Marvel is less likely to pick him. Still you never know he could have a good agent or kill it in auditions
    Kevin Feige has denied that Marvel actors contracts have any restrictions for what roles actors can take. If anyone would know it would be Feige as president of Marvel studios and it wouldn't serve him well to publicly lie about something like that.

Studios preventing actors from working for rival studios is very rare these days. It was common in the days of studio contract star in the golden age of Hollywood. Having a clause saying you couldn't work for a rival studio would not work in the studios favor in the present era. Most agencies and reps would discourage their top talent from signing a deal which would hinder any possible future earnings and opportunities unless they were being heavily compensated for such a deal.

I think fans care way more about if an actor has worked for Marvel of DC than the studios really do. We have seen actors working for both companies. It is unlikely that DC and Marvel would ever have leads starring in ongoing movies at the same time due to the demands of fronting a large franchise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what should a trailer be showing? Lots of fighting, or only a little? Major set pieces?
    The trailer to me should have fighting enough.While Shang Chi stories were about fighting as the Kung Fu movies it was inspired from it had actually lots of characterisation of Shang Chi being developed as well.So a trailer with fighting and showing Shang Chi characterisation would be cool.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I think you could get away with showing WHY martial arts is so important to him in the trailers. It would check off several boxes at once without necessarily spoiling to much of the film.

I rather like the idea that zheng chu manipulates or creates the yellow peril ideal to benefit hinself.

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    They cancel Iron Fist but give the piss poor substitute a movie? Urgh!
    Uh, Shang Chi (in the comics) came out first. If anyone is a substitute, it's Iron Fist.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'll point it out again: a Marvel-branded kung fu movie is a slam dunk. The hand-wringing is strange.
    Yeah, I don't get it. Too bad Bruce Lee is dead (and too old if he were still alive).

Sandy Hausler

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it. Too bad Bruce Lee is dead (and too old if he were still alive).

Sandy Hausler
    Well, people think that because you don't have to spend as much money on a mid-level martial arts or action film as you do something like Avengers 2, it should be easier to make. But the thing is, such a film is pretty easy to screw up too. The shelves are filled with mediocre martial arts/fight movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Uh, Shang Chi (in the comics) came out first. If anyone is a substitute, it's Iron Fist.
    As I already said, substitute doesn't mean replacement. I know Shang Chi came first but they fit the same niche so can easily substitute for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    For me, yes, I would like to see the fighting. It's got to be really good Kung Fu as well. That's what distinguishes Shang. I'd like to see some major pieces though. Maybe Zheng Zu's compound in China? Maybe the Avengers compound? Also, I'd like to see the human elements and character moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    As I already said, substitute doesn't mean replacement. I know Shang Chi came first but they fit the same niche so can easily substitute for each other.
    Both Iron Fist and Shang are martial artists. There are stories that both could do. But Danny and Shang occupy spheres of storytelling that are distinct from one another. Danny is firmly associated with K'un Lun and the mystical. Because he has the iron fist, I could see Danny going toe to toe against very powerful villains and adversaries. This is the guy who could smash a S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier. Now Shang could go mystical (I would love to see him meet the Chinese gods or fight off Chinese ghosts), but he has that international spy/espionage angle going. He is essentially what Bruce Lee's character from "Enter the Dragon" would have been if there were other sequels. I think he's a bit more grounded and realistic then Danny.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."