Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Some other random Shang-Chi thoughts:

- Glad to see people talking about Shang. A couple of days ago, CBR published 20 Facts About Shang-Chi: https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-20-fac...er-of-kung-fu/ Admittedly, it looks like someone just looked at Shang-Chi's Wikipedia article and put together a list. Then again, that's what a lot of CBR lists have turned into . It does highlight things that may not be the right fit for a Shang-Chi movie. Personally, him using Pym Particles or possessing the power to copy himself always felt a little off and a little one note to me. They're cool and everything, but they aren't core essentials of Shang-Chi.

- What made me want to see Shang-Chi in the MCU universe? I think it was most definitely this scene, when Thanos shows up in Wakanda and all the Avengers challenge him:

Part of me was thinking, "Damn, wouldn't it be cool if Shang was here? Wouldn't it be cool if he just stood up to Thanos and used some mad Kung Fu skills against him, like using Wing Chun chain punching, Changquan tornado kicks, and Hung Gar Tiger Claws? Maybe have some Chinese swords, staffs, and other weapons with Shang putting up this valiant, last ditch effort? Yeah, so hopefully Shang shows that in the film.

- Part of me is slightly frustrated that the Asian and Asian-American communities aren't as supportive of this as I'd hope. Especially considering the uproar over the casting of Iron Fist. With Shang, there's no need for us to fight over ownership or reclaim anything because he's already ours. Indeed, I'm reminded of the critics who said people would complain of Iron Fist turning Asian, since it would be feeding the "Asians are all martial artists" stereotype. I remember the defenders countering back saying they would support an Asian who knew martial arts as Iron Fist. Martial arts are a part of their culture, they said. Part of me wonders where those defenders are now. Now we've established that Shang has his stereotype baggage. That is turning some Asians and Asian-Americans off against Shang. But, we can update him, modernize him, and make him a fully formed character, not a fortune cookie caricature. Shang has potential, so much potential. I honestly wish more Asians and Asian-Americans could see that potential.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Final thoughts:

So, who would be Shang-Chi's supporting cast? Clive Reston and Black Jack Tarr (minus his dated "Chinaman" phrases) should make appearances in the film. I'm more interested in who could play a Reiko Wu. Indeed, Reiko has to be in this movie and play a top role. Thus, a Shang-Chi movie wouldn't just feature one Asian in a prominent position, but two.
    "I am a man of peace."

I imagine they'd likely follow the BP formula and stay true to the heart of the character. I'm not as familiar with the classic Shang Chi stories as I am his more modern adventures.

One less thing for me to complain about haha. I'm just patiently waiting for any announcements on a director and cast.

Any word on potential/current writers?
    The J-man

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I could see Clive Owen or Jack Huston playing Black Jack Tarr

Who is Shang's most prominent white villain? Since dad wouldn't be allowed today, they will likely go with the most prominent white villain.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Who is Shang's most prominent white villain? Since dad wouldn't be allowed today, they will likely go with the most prominent white villain.
    They could do something interesting with Razorfist or make the Cat a white villain. They can take some liberties.

I think you can focus on making a good movie villain doesn't need to be white. If the antagonist is white than fine, but that seems like a strange archaic requirement at this point
    The J-man

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Pretty sure his dad will be the main villain. He was revamped in the comics a few years ago and he will be revamped again when they adapt him.

Shang turning against his family and trying to stop them is pretty much what the movie will be about I imagine.

I imagine Shang will also battle his adopted brother and best friend M'Nai (Midnight Sun). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnig...Marvel_Comics)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Part of me is slightly frustrated that the Asian and Asian-American communities aren't as supportive of this as I'd hope.
    Most East Asian countries have sizable entertainment industry that portray their cultures much more authentically and in-depth than Marvel or Hollywood, so of course the idea of a Shang-Chi movie won't have the same appeal to the East Asian audience as Black Panther to the sub-Saharan African audience.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 12-18-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think you can focus on making a good movie villain doesn't need to be white. If the antagonist is white than fine, but that seems like a strange archaic requirement at this point
    True. The father/son dynamic is Shang's true characteristic. And yes, his father is Chinese. I think it would be cool to see that on the movie screen. It's my hope that people can see that although Shang's father is Chinese, he's really clever and devious. Brilliantly so. Played right, he can be an admirable villain.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Pretty sure his dad will be the main villain. He was revamped in the comics a few years ago and he will be revamped again when they adapt him.

Shang turning against his family and trying to stop them is pretty much what the movie will be about I imagine.

I imagine Shang will also battle his adopted brother and best friend M'Nai (Midnight Sun). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnig...Marvel_Comics)
    True that. Me, I think it'd be nice to see Super Midnight show up:

https://www.writeups.org/rufus-carte...marvel-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Most East Asian countries have sizable entertainment industry that portray their cultures much more authentically and in-depth than Marvel or Hollywood, so of course the idea of a Shang-Chi movie won't have the same appeal to the East Asian audience as Black Panther to the sub-Saharan African audience.
    Could an MCU film do it though? Be authentic I mean? It'd be a hard sell. Dealing with China, there are always those cultural nuances that a non-Chinese wouldn't be aware of (even for us Chinese-Americans). I'd like them to have some real Chinese consultants on set to give that flair of authenticity.

At the same time though, the selling point should be the MCU. This is Shang, sure, but he exists in the same universe as the Avengers, GotG, Captain America, Black Panther, Spider-Man, etc. Seeing someone who is Chinese interact with those characters, like I said before in my example with Avengers Infinity War, that could be the thing that a lot of Chinese would like to see.
    "I am a man of peace."

Just seeing T'challa and Shang together considering the global interest China has in africa.

Well, at the very least, we know that Ludi Lin is interested:

Aquaman actor Ludi Lin exclusively tells Screen Rant he wants to star in Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi. The Master of Kung Fu in Marvel comics is one of a few new characters who appear to be primed for a debut in Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If this is going to happen, Marvel will need a star to fill the role, and may not need to look any further than Ludi Lin.

Lin received his breakout role as Zack the Black Ranger in 2017's Power Rangers reboot. Unfortunately, the film may not become the franchise many were hoping it would be, so when word surfaced that Marvel Studios hired a writer to develop a Shang-Chi script, it didn't take long before many were fan-casting Lin in the role. We even listed him as one of the possible names Marvel should consider when it comes time to cast the part.

We had the opportunity to speak to Lin as part of the promotional tour for Aquaman, where he plays Murk, and ask him. Even though he already has a comic book role, it is a minor one that shouldn't stop him from landing a Marvel role if they come calling. For those (like us) who think Lin could be a great Shang-Chi in the MCU, he told us that he would be interested in playing him!

Screen Rant: Is that something that's on your radar? We've seen other actors crossover between the worlds, like the DC and the Marvel world. Is that something that you'd want to do?

Ludi Lin: It’s definitely something I want to do. To do an Asian-centric superhero. To tell that story. I mean ideally, I’d like to design my own superhero, make my own creation. But I think the Marvel world is pretty incredible as well. Especially in honor of Stan Lee, the person who created this entire, I mean like an entire universe. You know what I mean? It's pretty incredible. And I think it would be great because it would take another big step towards representation.

For Lin, the chance to be a franchise star isn't the most appealing aspect to this role, but instead to be part of a growing focus for diversity on screen. Depending on when exactly Shang-Chi comes out, it could be the first Asian-led superhero movie ever made, which could in turn make Lin a huge star. With his cheerful personality and real life martial arts training, he has what it takes to become Marvel's next lead - should he get the chance.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Just seeing T'challa and Shang together considering the global interest China has in africa.
    Oh yeah, most definitely. Their paths could easily meet. A Chinese company sets up shop in Niganda, the country that borders Wakanda, and Black Panther doesn't like it. Shang-Chi is called in and a couple of plot twists later, Shang and T'Challa are squaring off against one another. Writes itself!
    "I am a man of peace."

I think the villain HAS to be his dad. They can tweak and modernize it, but to take away that element takes away too much from his story.

Marvel has implied that there is a REAL Mandarin out there, so they can perhaps use him over Fu Manchu.

I was thinking about using The Iron Nail as Shang's father.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ran_Shen_(Earth-616)