Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem with Zack Snyder's "Deconstruct Heroes"

Many individuals have talked about this being DCEU's problem. Do ppl hate it? Not really, but they don't like it when it's misused.

Snyder is a big Watchman fan, we got it. Sure it's a very cool comic series, but its formula doesn't fit every superhero, not every hero has to be so dark and gritty. The stories like Watchman, TDKR, Flashpoint and Injustice were popular because they were "fresh and new", twisting and overturning ordinary superhero stories, but when ppl are not even familiar with the ordinary heroes saving the world, it's going to backfire. Ppl don't want to see it in the beginning of the DCEU, BEFORE the hero has raised up and the JL has been formed.

Such overuse of deconstruction further increased the difficulty of bringing the superheroes together. It should be used in later stage rather than the beginning. Ppl dont' want to see a Superman who was deeply feared and hated by the world, a middle aged Batman who went extreme, a Wonder Woman who had given up on humanity. And in JL we saw that Aquaman had strong personal issue with his mother. That's way too much. Also Snyder couldn't handle such story really well because there weren't enough setups, which is why we got "Martha".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Many individuals have talked about this being DCEU's problem. Do ppl hate it? Not really, but they don't like it when it's misused.

Snyder is a big Watchman fan, we got it. Sure it's a very cool comic series, but its formula doesn't fit every superhero, not every hero has to be so dark and gritty. The stories like Watchman, TDKR, Flashpoint and Injustice were popular because they were "fresh and new", twisting and overturning ordinary superhero stories, but when ppl are not even familiar with the ordinary heroes saving the world, it's going to backfire. Ppl don't want to see it in the beginning of the DCEU, BEFORE the hero has raised up and the JL has been formed.

Such overuse of deconstruction further increased the difficulty of bringing the superheroes together. It should be used in later stage rather than the beginning. Ppl dont' want to see a Superman who was deeply feared and hated by the world, a middle aged Batman who went extreme, a Wonder Woman who had given up on humanity. And in JL we saw that Aquaman had strong personal issue with his mother. That's way too much. Also Snyder couldn't handle such story really well because there weren't enough setups, which is why we got "Martha".
    "deconstruct" implies "reconstruct". It wasn't the deconstruction of the heroes that failed. It was the way they were reconstructed that people couldn't accept. Rightly so, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    "deconstruct" implies "reconstruct". It wasn't the deconstruction of the heroes that failed. It was the way they were reconstructed that people couldn't accept. Rightly so, IMO
    No, the problem is that they were deconstructed even before they were built up.

Good point. Get to know the heroes first as heroes before you show what happens when they go off the deep end. We need to know why Batman got disillusioned. What caused Wonder Woman to give up on humanity.
    Why people turned against Superman.

BANNED

No, the problem is that they were deconstructed even before they were built up.
    every movie superhero was deconstructed before he or she was built up. Iron Man, Spider-man (on occasion), Thor, Wonder Woman, and many more were deconstructed for the movies. How they were re-constructed made all the difference.

Extraordinary Member

Eh I loved Snyder's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh I loved Snyder's Batman.
    But did you like Affleck's Batman or the stunt double's Batman? In other words were your favorite Batman scenes the one with Batman fighting or the ones with Batman standing around talking?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But did you like Affleck's Batman or the stunt double's Batman? In other words were your favorite Batman scenes the one with Batman fighting or the ones with Batman standing around talking?
    I thought Affleck made a good Bruce Wayne. His talking scenes as Batman were a lot less ridiculous to me than Bale's barking lol. But yeah the fight/action scenes were pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    every movie superhero was deconstructed before he or she was built up. Iron Man, Spider-man (on occasion), Thor, Wonder Woman, and many more were deconstructed for the movies. How they were re-constructed made all the difference.
    Not at all, they were not even built up, the "twist" was to help build them, they were not getting deconstructed at all.

BANNED

Not at all, they were not even built up, the "twist" was to help build them, they were not getting deconstructed at all.
    Well, there's no point in continuing the discussion then

His talking scenes as Batman were a lot less ridiculous to me than Bale's barking lol.
    You don't set the bar very high, do you?

I say this a fan of the dceu who has for the most part enjoyed the dceu movies, I Think the big problem with Snyder is that none of the characters really had any depth, they are just representation of whatever snyder saw as their defining characteristic/personality. Snyder loved the whole Jesus angle with Superman, so Superman was continually shown as a messianic figure rejected by the masses and never really moved past that, almost everything about his arc fed into that. He saw Batman as a weary, angry, vengeful, dark person with little else, wonder woman was basically just a warrior, flash a awkward immature kid and Aquaman was a badass. Snyder never really moved them past that initial characterizations and only had the plot feed into those. I never saw any deconstruction because none of them really moved past that initial representation in his films. I Think that is why Wan and Jenkins did so much better is they actually added depth to the characters rather than letting them essentially be the one dimensional good looking person in a costume that snyder had them be.
    Last edited by regg215; 12-26-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Astonishing Member

The problem with deconstructions is that they've been done to death. There's only so many ways you can make Batman into a sociopath who may or may not be as bad for Gotham as his rogue's gallery before it's gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I say this a fan of the dceu who has for the most part enjoyed the dceu movies, I Think the big problem with Snyder is that none of the characters really had any depth, they are just representation of whatever snyder saw as their defining characteristic/personality. Snyder loved the whole Jesus angle with Superman, so Superman was continually shown as a messianic figure rejected by the masses and never really moved past that, almost everything about his arc fed into that. He saw Batman as a weary, angry, vengeful, dark person with little else, wonder woman was basically just a warrior, flash a awkward immature kid and Aquaman was a badass. Snyder never really moved them past that initial characterizations and only had the plot feed into those. I never saw any deconstruction because none of them really moved past that initial representation in his films. I Think that is why Wan and Jenkins did so much better is they actually added depth to the characters rather than letting them essentially be the one dimensional good looking person in a costume that snyder had them be.
    I think Zod got a lot of depth.

Ppl are ok with character being without much depth in the first movie, but we don't want to see Superman being feared by the majority, not in the beginning, no.

Invincible Member

I have to agree with what a couple of posters have already said, these movies don't deconstruct DC heroes. The narratives don't really ask the audience to take a critical look at tropes inherent to the character's mythos or the cape genre in general. In fact they take superheroes perhaps too seriously. The problem is that they want to be seen as "serious" and "deep" but the scripts simply aren't good enough.