Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    If only Disney could buy the licensing rights to Fu Manchu. Since Marvel lost the license, the later comic books starring Shang Chi kept referring to Fu Manchu as "Shang-Chi's father" or "Master".
    There are a couple MCU villains who make suitable Fu Manchu substitutes. Mandarin is the most high profile of the bunch, but Yellow Klaw works in a pinch too.

Given the handling of the character in Iron Man 3, I wouldnt mind seeing the REAL Mandarin show up in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There are a couple MCU villains who make suitable Fu Manchu substitutes. Mandarin is the most high profile of the bunch, but Yellow Klaw works in a pinch too.

Given the handling of the character in Iron Man 3, I wouldnt mind seeing the REAL Mandarin show up in the MCU.
    Mandarin already appeared in the MCU
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Mandarin already appeared in the MCU
    We only saw the fake Mandarin though. A Shang Chi movie is a potential opportunity to debut the real one.

He was teased in All Hail the King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceyJxMuYFE
    Last edited by XPac; 12-04-2018 at 09:26 PM.

We only saw the fake Mandarin though. A Shang Chi movie is a potential opportunity to debut the real one.
    didn't one of the writers or Producers or writers say they weren't going to do the Mandarin because of the stereotypical and problematic nature? I'm pretty sure there is a direct quote from someone senior at Disney where they wanted to avoided the "racist caricature of the comics' Mandarin." They applied the same logic to the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. This isn't a path Disney will venture down.

At the very least he wouldn't be called "the Mandarin." He'd have the rings but some other name. Still I get the sense from what I've read from people around Ironman 3 and Doctor Strange that they are steering clear of the Mandarin character.
    The J-man

didn't one of the writers or Producers or writers say they weren't going to do the Mandarin because of the stereotypical and problematic nature? I'm pretty sure there is a direct quote from someone senior at Disney where they wanted to avoided the "racist caricature of the comics' Mandarin." They applied the same logic to the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. This isn't a path Disney will venture down.

At the very least he wouldn't be called "the Mandarin." He'd have the rings but some other name. Still I get the sense from what I've read from people around Ironman 3 and Doctor Strange that they are steering clear of the Mandarin character.
    Again though, they did tease the characters existance in All Hail the King. So it's possible he can still show up.

Again though, they did tease the characters existance in All Hail the King. So it's possible he can still show up.

omg one of those Actors is in Luke Cage and the other is in Daredevil.
    The J-man

\

At the very least he wouldn't be called "the Mandarin." He'd have the rings but some other name.
    They could always go with what is most likely his real name: Tem Borjigin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I've been saying this for years on this board and had been called all sorts of things, for saying that movies with Asian leads and Asian BTS talent can be bankable without resorting to whitewashing, tokenizing, or erasure. Then Crazy Rich Asians comes along and Hollywood acts like it's a surprise when it's been something that people have been telling them all along. I don't blame Marvel for wanting a piece of that pie, but this is vindication.

A word of note, though: let's not go around saying it's the Asian Black Panther. Black Panther was its own thing and its own phenomenon. Black communities and Asian communities have different struggles, and sometimes those struggles align, but both groups deserve ownership over the heroes that look like them when sharing them with others.
    I've always wanted more diversity frankly but my thoughts have often been along the line of "Hollywood wont promote a big movie with stars no one's heard of" which leads to the awkward and ridiculous cycle of "We want X ethnicity actors/Well there arent any big enough/Why/Because we wont hire them to give them the roles/Why/Because their not big enough". Which is on Hollywood being idiotic unfortunately.

Then you get the stupidity of social media whining causing Studios to seriously consider whether its even worth the hassle to go for accurate casting if all they get is negative press because its not 100% accurate or looks right such as Blu Hunt (1/2 NA) playing Moonstar ("She doesnt look Native enough" people have legitimately said) Sunspot (actual BRAZILIAN actor....but because he's not Afro-Brazillian thats not good enough) or Jasmine in the Live Action Aladdin who's half indian, admittedly not arabic but theres so few arabic actresses in Hollywood (especially ones who fit what Disney wants) its as close as you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Marvel butchered the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 because they saw the character from the comics as a stereotype. Fu Manchu would be worse.
    I rather liked Osama Bin Mamdarin. Certainly felt more relevant then "Look at the dusty yellow peril stereotype with his MAAAAAGIC rings"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I feel that Shang-Chi would work better for TV.

TV did not work out for Daredevil, Iron Fist and Inhumans
    Even though it got cancelled, I'd still argue Daredevil worked out pretty dam well. We still got 3 pretty darn awesome seasons out of it. It's not like any of the MCU solo movies have gotten past 3 either (though I'm sure they could if everyone was still on board with them).

I thought Daredevil on Netflix was really well done and thankfully it got 3 seasons which is more than many shows get, but when you look at the economics, the branding and Disney launching its on service Netflix had to was their hands or ofer Disney a lo less for new seasons something Disney wouldn't accept.

I didn't watch Inhumans but Ironfist season 1 was pretty bad storywise. A high budget tv show can give you more story and content than a theatrical release especially if there are no crazy superpower special effects.

However, Marvel clearly wants a theatrical release they want this to be another Black Panther for everyone to enjoy the world over.
    The J-man

What kind of fights are we expecting? I mean, Shang Chi is the master of Kung fu, so he shouldn't be a brawler. But would his opponents use traditionnal martial arts or something more akin to MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    What kind of fights are we expecting? I mean, Shang Chi is the master of Kung fu, so he shouldn't be a brawler. But would his opponents use traditionnal martial arts or something more akin to MMA?
    I don't think MMA necessarily translates well into TV/movie fight scenes. Grappling and going for tap outs just doesn't translate as well as a kick or a punch on the screen a lot of the time.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Probably more Kickboxing or Muy Thai. Like Xpac says, grappling doesn’t translate well in entertainment.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Netflix shows got canned over corporate politics.