Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Or the whole Ancient One fiasco in Dr. Strange. (I admit Tilda killed it in the role)

While it's not MCU, all the times Jubilee has been cast as a white woman in the various X-Men properties.

Scarlett Johansson, of course! (Plot Twist: Shang-Chi was really Black Widow in disguise the whole time!)
    all the times Jubilee has been cast as a white woman in the various X-Men properties? Wasn't it just that one time in that gen x tv movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Shang debuted a year ahead of Iron Fist, actually.
    I said substitute, not copy or replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    So? Doesn't mean they should be obligated to, just because there a ton of white players in the source material. Fu Manchu was in the source material too. Probably won't be in the movie.
    SO, if Marvel decides to go that route and use that aspect of Shang-Chi's past as part of his movie, people shouldn't be butthurt or think of Marvel as cowards or sellouts because of it.

BANNED

If Mulan is successful this movie will get more push. If any studio can back POC characters strongly it is Disney.

Fantastic Member

Shang-Chi's Chinese name 上氣 does not make sense in Chinese, it's not rising of the spirit or Shanghai Automotive, it's better to change it to some homophones or even makes Chi the pinyin chi rather than qi for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    SO, if Marvel decides to go that route and use that aspect of Shang-Chi's past as part of his movie, people shouldn't be butthurt or think of Marvel as cowards or sellouts because of it.
    Depends how one sees it. I could easily see people of Chinese community commenting along the lines of "Ahhh see, Hollywood still won't let Chinese people accomplish anything without white people helping them".

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Shang-Chi's Chinese name 上氣 does not make sense in Chinese, it's not rising of the spirit or Shanghai Automotive, it's better to change it to some homophones or even makes Chi the pinyin chi rather than qi for the movie.
    I was thinking about this a while ago. You're right, that doesn't really make sense. But they could could make find a different shang and chi possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    They cancel Iron Fist but give the piss poor substitute a movie? Urgh!
    did you watch Iron Fist season 1?!
    The J-man

I'll point it out again: a Marvel-branded kung fu movie is a slam dunk. The hand-wringing is strange.

So I've seen you guys mention this guy from time to time, even when I was a lurker. From what I understand he seems like an obscure 70s era kung-fu hero that was capitalising on the Bruce Lee wave. He seems to be held in high regard, so I ask why should I care about him and how is this more than a kung fu film with the Marvel logo? Obviously it's up to me to care about him or not, but I mean what is he about?

I'm trying to figure out how he would fit in the MCU landscape, because on paper I should be all about this. I love kung-fu movies and if this can capture what I think it can it could be a nice modern throwback.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    So I've seen you guys mention this guy from time to time, even when I was a lurker. From what I understand he seems like an obscure 70s era kung-fu hero that was capitalising on the Bruce Lee wave. He seems to be held in high regard, so I ask why should I care about him and how is this more than a kung fu film with the Marvel logo? Obviously it's up to me to care about him or not, but I mean what is he about?

I'm trying to figure out how he would fit in the MCU landscape, because on paper I should be all about this. I love kung-fu movies and if this can capture what I think it can it could be a nice modern throwback.
    :shrugs: you're either into martial arts action or not. this is a character who I think works better in live-action than comic book form. he's the master of kung fu and Fu Manchu's son (originally). he works in conjunction with a british spy agency, irrc. he's just kind of an icon; james bond with better choreography and an Asian twist. I guess that the draw would be him being part of the marvel universe. he's a former avenger (who isn't?). my hope would be that they use this as a way to officially introduce the Gorgon to the MCU.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 12-07-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    :shrugs: you're either into martial arts action or not. this is a character who I think works better in live-action than comic book form. he's the master of kung fu and Fu Manchu's son (originally). he works in conjunction with a british spy agency, irrc. he's just kind of an icon; james bond with better choreography and an Asian twist. I guess that the draw would be him being part of the marvel universe. he's a former avenger (who isn't?). my hope would be that they use this as a way to officially introduce the Gorgon to the MCU.

...I'm in.

I'm all in on this, more excited about an Asian superhero than I was about any other proposed series Marvel has done. My hope will last at least until the first episode airs!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious how they'll handle Shang's dad, since he's his nemesis and was actually Fu Manchu at one point .
    Marvel don't own the rights to Fu Manchu anymore and they retconned that his real name is Zheng Zu and that Fu Manchu was just one of the many alias he used.

Zheng Zu isn't really a difficult villain to redesign. He is essentially just a genius, rich, boss of a criminal empire who is possibly immortal and controls a bunch of assassins. His similar to Batman villain Ra's Al Ghul since Ra's was based on Fu Manchu and Bond villain Draco from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

How does a movie about this guy fit within the realm they work on? He's a Chinese Captain America, sans shield and superhuman strength.

Or am I missing something?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage