Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post

I wouldn't say Sam has "everything" one could ask for. From what I recall his mom was always working and they always had money issues. Also his dad's reputation as a drunk janitor who mysteriously disappeared sure didn't help him. Oh yeah let's not forget that when he got his dad back he turned out to be a fake. Spoiled rich kid does not really fit Sam at all.
    His family had money issue when his dad left at 15 when he was gifted with cosmic powers. A quick 3 years left before he becomes a legal adult. A large chunk hispanic/latnio and Black familes have money issues from birth and we don’t get super powers to make up the difference.

His father was a drunk who took a crap job to help provided for his family. Which he did. He was a drunk ,who as lf yet to be revealed, never laid a hand on anyone in his family or from what I can tell never verably abuse them in anyway. He was a drunk who took care of his family. So Sam’s a little embarassed that his father’s in constant state of morning of his crap life, big deal. There are kids who have a hell of alot worse and we don’t get to rube elbows with Tony Stark whenever we feel like it.

Now the stuff with his cloned father, you got a case there. But were talking about Sam’s weak ground for being a monority as to why he should get a push for a movie over a character with established history of postive stories and more of a fanbase. Just to add further that part of his history came after the guy was giving the ability to fly through space and blow up planets with a wave of his hand.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; Yesterday at 04:06 PM.

Re-reading my post and it sounds a lot harsher than what I mean for it to be. But those are the facts :/

I just think if the race thing will be the only hang-up for Rich that it be better for the studio to just give him a half hispanic or latino background, get to the fun stuff, and dive into that part of his heritage as he goes. Because it’s not even really being represented all that well with Sam anyways.

Rich has the story, the conections, and the fanbase. He just seems like the better choice to me.

This thread took an absurd turn really fast.

Rich has the story, the conections, and the fanbase.
    The last one isn't really relevant (Again, Scott Lang) and if the first two are absolutely required for a movie (they aren't), then there's no reason they couldn't be transferred to Sam anyway. Superman: The Animated Series transferred Hal Jordan's origin to Kyle Rayner and that's far from the only instance (Ant-Man did as well).

Scott Lang actually had his own origin adapted in the movie. What you mean is Lang stared in the Ant-Man movie when some felt it should have been Hank.

But here we are again back to the merry go round of who can move here or what can be moved there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post

I wouldn't say Sam has "everything" one could ask for. From what I recall his mom was always working and they always had money issues. Also his dad's reputation as a drunk janitor who mysteriously disappeared sure didn't help him. Oh yeah let's not forget that when he got his dad back he turned out to be a fake. Spoiled rich kid does not really fit Sam at all.
    No, Sam definitely didn't have an ideal childhood. Did he have it better than a statistically significant number of Latino Americans? Sure, maybe? But he still came from a poor, broke family, his father was a laughing stock as a janitor who was often and largely absent, his mother worked herself to death at multiple jobs, and Sam himself wasn't terribly popular or well liked by the student body or his teachers.

He had it better than a lot of people, but he was very, very far from well off. And then all the superheroic shenanigans started and things just got weird, like with the fake dad.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Keep in mind...I never said Sam was rich. I said he read like he was spoiled rich kid. There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Keep in mind...I never said Sam was rich. I said he read like he was spoiled rich kid. There is a difference.
    He definitely had a certain "Skywalker whiny-ness" to him, that's for sure.

Personally I liked Sam more on the Spider-Man cartoon, where he had more ego, even if he was a little prat. His rivalry with Parker was fun (my son loved that show so we watched it together) and generally I found him more enjoyable than the print version. But comic Sam is still fairly fun; he was good in the last Nova series, and what little I've read of my son's Champions, he doesn't seem too bad there either. Honestly my biggest issue with Sam is that he's not Richard, which is very unfair to Sam's character; he deserves to be measured by his own merits and worth just like any other character, and not by who he isn't.

Actually, speaking of the "buddy cop" Nova series.....remember how Fiege has said that if you wanna know where the MCU is going in the next ten years you should look to the comics today? I'd bet decent money that if serious talks have taken place about a Nova movie, that Rich-Sam dynamic is what they'd go for. Considering how Marvel comics are just storyboards for movie treatments these days it feels like a pretty safe bet.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

. But were talking about Sam’s weak ground for being a minority .
    1.So be a real minority he has to be poor and without a father .Okay got it.

2. Also we are saying that character who started darker

Is at fault for not being Latino enough because colorist don't make him dark enough(like they do with M,Dante and Sunspot)

I am in a fantasy world? Right now. Moving on

Getting a reasonable perspective from some was impossible because the thread undertone was the same undertone when Sam was announced. Why is this character stealing the spotlight away from the Richard Ryder. Anyways my perspective remains the same the Nova franchise is weak as whole .Sam has the better origins,supporting cast,core themes and bring much need diversity to the table but does not have a classic must tell story for a movie franchise( fyi I don't think Miles or Ms Marvel have one either but like Sam their origins are good enough for movies). Richard Ryder has classic must tell story for a franchise but you can't reach those stories because his early stories are weak,plus the must tell stories will be vastly changed in the MCU because all changes that have to happen. In terms of adapting a movie Sam gives you a good start , You are going to be deconstructing the franchise taking all the good pieces and putting together not just Sam Richard and Richard Rider, stuff like Anwen Bakian,Frankie raye,etc

Of the characters who would benefit from a line wide reboot the most right on the top of the list would be Richard Rider, They need to go back to origin with all of this great lore that franchise has evolved into apply a tight story to it. Nova has change from Green Lantern rip off into its only well thought out thing and Ryder is better character with flesh out lore. When(if) a hollywood writer gets their hand Nova they are going to shred away most junk of continuity away,Try to place it in realistic world flesh out world and tell a simple efficient story. Anyway I have made point but is being missed because for some reason it is being seen that I am against Ryder. The reality is I know that like Starlord, Drax and Gamora the same thing will happen to Richard the character who is on the screen will be nothing like the character in books. Understanding it is basically a brand new character that will being show up Sam Alexander is a better choice. The Spiderman in homecoming was a good spiderman but not really the one from the books,The Richard Ryder who shows up in movie will be in name alone.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; Yesterday at 08:54 PM.

Scott Lang actually had his own origin adapted in the movie.
    I know what I said. Elements of Hank Pym's character were combined into Scott Lang.