Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Will Richard Rider Be Wiped Over And Forgotten, Like Mar-Vell?

In the past few months I have been making my way through a lot of Marvel's "older" comics. I made it somewhat a mission to get to know a multitude of key characters I never really took interest in when I was a lot younger. This journey led me to Nova.

I have been gathering up a few New Warrior comics and a lot of Nova's original run and I have to say I am greatly enjoying this character. To a level that I never thought I would. However, with the recent Captain Marvel trailer that has come out I realized something...Mar-Vell seems to be completely missing from a lot of what Carol is doing. To the degree that it seems as if Marvel Entertainment wants the readers/world to forget that he existed to further push Carol. So naturally I began thinking will this be the fate of Richard Rider for Sam Alexander?

If the MCU keeps pumping out great films a Nova movie will be coming. The ground work for it is already there. At some point or another it will happen.

But who will be the Nova to headline the film? I honestly would be extremely disappointed if Richard is treated in the same manner that Mar-Vell appears to be treated. These original Nova stories have truly captured my heart but it sorta seems as if Sam is getting the most focus for the past 6-7 years. I tried a couple Sam issues but for the most part they feel hollow in comparison to what has been written with Richard.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss what do you think will happen with Richard and to a degree Sam when it comes time for a Nova movie.

Do you think the MCU will go with Richard or do you think they will go with Sam?

If they go with Sam do you think they will transplant the things they like about Richard on to Sam, similar to what seems to be going on with Carol and Mar-Vell?

Do you think the MCU might go with a Nova Corps type movie instead?

Most importantly, do you think the MCU will intentionally try to make fans forget Richard for Sam?
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-05-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Isn't Richard Rider still alive, as opposed to Mar-Vell?

I do have some memories of a storyline were he was brought back some months/years ago, but haven't been reading any Nova comics after that. Maybe he disappeared again...

Ultimate Member

If there's a Nova movie imagine they'll use Sam Alexander. Probably because hes the most recent (sort of like Ghost Rider).

As pointed out, Rider did come back in the last Nova volume but it sold poorly and was canned. Last i saw of him was in the last Darkhawk mini.

As for what will happen with Richard Rider, i honestly can't say. Mar-vell's case is somewhat different because he's dead.

Just because Mar-Vell is dead does not mean he couldn't be used in the movie at all.

And to a degree Comic Book Limbo is almost as good as being dead. (especially, if you are in it long enough.)

I think Richard is in a poor spot right now if a Movie is announced. :/
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Both Novas are in a weird spot. Zub has Sam depowered and Richie is back in the cosmic side thanks to Duggan and Cates.

Yeah, I actually think they'd go with Rich - but they'll skip his teenage years and base it on the DnA run. Sam will be retooled as a different hero.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Both Novas are in a weird spot. Zub has Sam depowered and Richie is back in the cosmic side thanks to Duggan and Cates.
    Yeah, right now Rich is the main Nova in the comics, more or less.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Just because Mar-Vell is dead does not mean he couldn't be used in the movie at all.

And to a degree Comic Book Limbo is almost as good as being dead. (especially, if you are in it long enough.)

I think Richard is in a poor spot right now if a Movie is announced. :/
    I thought Jude Law was rumoured to play Mar-vell?

(Its a rather old rumor and could be completely wrong though).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I thought Jude Law was rumoured to play Mar-vell?

(Its a rather old rumor and could be completely wrong though).
    He's playing Yon-Rogg. Mar-Vell's original archenemies.

But who will be the Nova to headline the film? I honestly would be extremely disappointed if Richard is treated in the same manner that Mar-Vell appears to be treated. These original Nova stories have truly captured my heart but it sorta seems as if Sam is getting the most focus for the past 6-7 years. I tried a couple Sam issues but for the most part they feel hollow in comparison to what has been written with Richard.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss what do you think will happen with Richard and to a degree Sam when it comes time for a Nova movie.

Do you think the MCU will go with Richard or do you think they will go with Sam?

If they go with Sam do you think they will transplant the things they like about Richard on to Sam, similar to what seems to be going on with Carol and Mar-Vell?
    The biggest problem is that Mar-Vell was never THAT popular. His entire run consisted of 69 issues spread out over 10 years. They didn't publish him at all in 1971 and most of '72... then when they brought him back he only published every other month. He was really only published at all to keep the trademark alive, which they then did with the horde of pretenders after him.

Rich on the other hand... He's got a serious fan following. Especially since Annihilation, but every time Sam shows up anywhere people are screaming for Rich to come back. They may STILL go with Sam for diversity sake, but it's not as guaranteed as it was with Mar-vell. His main purpose has always been a stepping stone to get to other more popular characters... even though he that red/blue costume is one of my all time favorite costumes everywhere... I never pictured him getting in the movie.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They may STILL go with Sam for diversity sake, but it's not as guaranteed as it was with Mar-vell.
    Diversity sake? I admit I don’t know much about Sam apart from an occasional browse through the Avengers book when he was a member but what makes him diverse from Richie apart from him being a young teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Diversity sake? I admit I don’t know much about Sam apart from an occasional browse through the Avengers book when he was a member but what makes him diverse from Richie apart from him being a young teenager?
    He was Latino. Or at least his mother was. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the powers that be jumped on that and it gave him an edge over Rich when it came to promotion.

It's not going to be a issue. Probably be best to move away from this part of the discussion before it gets to risky and a Mod chimes in.
    Its really not.

I mean, if the movie called him "Dick" all the time I suppose I could see the argument (despite the filters you mention) but if someone watches the movie, with Nova being called "Rich" or "Richard" all the time and then Googles "Dick Rider" they're probably not looking for Nova in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Honestly, I'd bet they just do what they did with Spider-Man and basically make it an amalgamation of Sam and Rich.
    I think that'll happen no matter who Marvel uses; both characters have some solid qualities the film makers could want to use. It'd mostly just boil down to what kind of split it ends up being. Would Nova be more "Rich" or more "Sam?" Because however it plays out, odds are a little of both will be there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He was Latino. Or at least his mother was. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the powers that be jumped on that and it gave him an edge over Rich when it came to promotion.
    It is a big factor in Sam's favor. And no offense to the character or anything but it's likely his biggest advantage. The MCU is full of white guys (and Rich would end up being played by someone named Chris, you know it be true!) but Sam's got both the "teenager" thing and the "Latino" thing to set him apart.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It is a big factor in Sam's favor. And no offense to the character or anything but it's likely his biggest advantage. The MCU is full of white guys (and Rich would end up being played by someone named Chris, you know it be true!) but Sam's got both the "teenager" thing and the "Latino" thing to set him apart.
    Does the MCU have any Latino heroes that actually Earth based characters? Zoe Saldana traces Dominican ethnicity but that doesn't really factor into Gamora.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum