Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Will Richard Rider Be Wiped Over And Forgotten, Like Mar-Vell?

In the past few months I have been making my way through a lot of Marvel's "older" comics. I made it somewhat a mission to get to know a multitude of key characters I never really took interest in when I was a lot younger. This journey led me to Nova.

I have been gathering up a few New Warrior comics and a lot of Nova's original run and I have to say I am greatly enjoying this character. To a level that I never thought I would. However, with the recent Captain Marvel trailer that has come out I realized something...Mar-Vell seems to be completely missing from a lot of what Carol is doing. To the degree that it seems as if Marvel Entertainment wants the readers/world to forget that he existed to further push Carol. So naturally I began thinking will this be the fate of Richard Rider for Sam Alexander?

If the MCU keeps pumping out great films a Nova movie will be coming. The ground work for it is already there. At some point or another it will happen.

But who will be the Nova to headline the film? I honestly would be extremely disappointed if Richard is treated in the same manner that Mar-Vell appears to be treated. These original Nova stories have truly captured my heart but it sorta seems as if Sam is getting the most focus for the past 6-7 years. I tried a couple Sam issues but for the most part they feel hollow in comparison to what has been written with Richard.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss what do you think will happen with Richard and to a degree Sam when it comes time for a Nova movie.

Do you think the MCU will go with Richard or do you think they will go with Sam?

If they go with Sam do you think they will transplant the things they like about Richard on to Sam, similar to what seems to be going on with Carol and Mar-Vell?

Do you think the MCU might go with a Nova Corps type movie instead?

Most importantly, do you think the MCU will intentionally try to make fans forget Richard for Sam?
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-05-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Isn't Richard Rider still alive, as opposed to Mar-Vell?

I do have some memories of a storyline were he was brought back some months/years ago, but haven't been reading any Nova comics after that. Maybe he disappeared again...

Ultimate Member

If there's a Nova movie imagine they'll use Sam Alexander. Probably because hes the most recent (sort of like Ghost Rider).

As pointed out, Rider did come back in the last Nova volume but it sold poorly and was canned. Last i saw of him was in the last Darkhawk mini.

As for what will happen with Richard Rider, i honestly can't say. Mar-vell's case is somewhat different because he's dead.

Just because Mar-Vell is dead does not mean he couldn't be used in the movie at all.

And to a degree Comic Book Limbo is almost as good as being dead. (especially, if you are in it long enough.)

I think Richard is in a poor spot right now if a Movie is announced. :/
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Both Novas are in a weird spot. Zub has Sam depowered and Richie is back in the cosmic side thanks to Duggan and Cates.

Yeah, I actually think they'd go with Rich - but they'll skip his teenage years and base it on the DnA run. Sam will be retooled as a different hero.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Its hard to say, really.

It's not a surprise that they went with Carol over Mar-Vell. No offense to Marv's fans but he's been dead for thirty years, couldn't maintain a strong selling solo or direction before that, and is most well known for dying. Carol's had her struggles since 2012 but has seen far more success; the Carol Corps are a whole thing, she's been in a few cartoons, etc.

But they also stuck with Parker for Spider-Man, instead of going with Miles. Even though they did give Parker some of Miles' status quo, they still went with the original classic over the newer face.

The MCU has already introduced Dey, who's the guy responsible for deputizing Richard. That feels to me like they had Rich in mind for the future.

I think it'll just depend on what kind of story Marvel wants to tell. If they want to do another cosmic movie, perhaps to replace the GotG (either after volume 3 happens or in place of it) they'll go with Richard. If they want something more grounded and/or another teenaged hero to build up Parker's "generation" they'll go with Sam.

Or they might do a buddy cop movie with both. It's hard to say where they'll go. Personally I hope to see Richard; Sam is okay but he's never grabbed me the way Rich did during the DnA days.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Just because Mar-Vell is dead does not mean he couldn't be used in the movie at all.

And to a degree Comic Book Limbo is almost as good as being dead. (especially, if you are in it long enough.)

I think Richard is in a poor spot right now if a Movie is announced. :/
    I thought Jude Law was rumoured to play Mar-vell?

(Its a rather old rumor and could be completely wrong though).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I thought Jude Law was rumoured to play Mar-vell?

(Its a rather old rumor and could be completely wrong though).
    He's playing Yon-Rogg. Mar-Vell's original archenemies.

Ultimate Member

He's playing Yon-Rogg. Mar-Vell's original archenemies.
    Ah..so i stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Both Novas are in a weird spot. Zub has Sam depowered and Richie is back in the cosmic side thanks to Duggan and Cates.
    Yeah, right now Rich is the main Nova in the comics, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, right now Rich is the main Nova in the comics, more or less.
    Are we 100 that Sam is just not going through the whole "my power source is gone until I prove to everyone and myself that I deserve it" type arc?

Has there been any announcements that Rich will star in his own book or a team book of some sort?

Rich is going to be in the new Guardians book I believe.

And I expect that Sam will get his helmet back as well; I dont read Champions (though my son loves it) but everything I hear about it just screams "storyline" not "new status quo."

Also, we dont know for sure that Jude Law is playing Yon-Rogg; that's just the theory. I happen to believe it, but as far as I know it's not straight up confirmed yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Merch doesn't lie:

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Are we 100 that Sam is just not going through the whole "my power source is gone until I prove to everyone and myself that I deserve it" type arc?

Has there been any announcements that Rich will star in his own book or a team book of some sort?
    I'm not sure. Zub is dragging it out.