Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    If Marvel had the X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four we would not have a lot of the movies we have today or even the books.
    Oh, I know. I still remember when Iron Man was a C-lister.

But still, if comic sales are a consideration, they must be a extremely small, minor consideration. Studio had plenty of IP's available to them that looked like A-list properties compared to the GotG or Scott Lang.

Your point about Carol is a non-starter though. Marvel needs to use "a" Captain Marvel for legal reasons but the Studio didn't *need* to use Carol. Im very glad they did and she seemed the best choice in my mind, but she certainly wasn't the *only* viable option.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, I know. I still remember when Iron Man was a C-lister.

But still, if comic sales are a consideration, they must be a extremely small, minor consideration. Studio had plenty of IP's available to them that looked like A-list properties compared to the GotG or Scott Lang.

Your point about Carol is a non-starter though. Marvel needs to use "a" Captain Marvel for legal reasons but the Studio didn't *need* to use Carol. Im very glad they did and she seemed the best choice in my mind, but she certainly wasn't the *only* viable option.
    What characters would that be? Thor, Cap, Hulk, & Iron Man where all of marvel's longest running solo books that was not connected to Spider-Man or the X-Men. But they couldn't even use the Hulk as a solo movie but they got the other three. Out of all the other well known Avengers Ant-Man as a title comic(with Hank Pym and then with O'Grady) was the only other "solo" Avenger that had any real marketability. With added bonus of having a Notable director wanting to do a movie with him.

As a team of heroes that focused on Family and dealt with cosmic stuff GotG was the only one Marvel had that showed any success at all. Couldn't use the Defenders because 2 members of their team where locked in rights issues, couldn't used Champions because again rights issues(The original Champions. But thinking about that book did poorly so it would be dumb anyways), Alpha Flight same. Be foolish to use the New Warriors for that and possibly had rights issues with Speedball, Namorita, Justice, and Firestar.

So just out of curiosity sake....who did they have?

It's perfect starter actually. At the time that this all got started Bendis wanted to use Carol Danvers in his Avengers title. When the time came about to "renew" the Captain Marvel property, to maintain claim on the title, Bendis suggested it be her. This is also around the time movie buzz had been started about the title. When Bendis began that road for her there was no going back. It was Carol, another female like Monica/Phall-Vel, or nothing.

Though I stand by Mar-Vell should get an heavy handed honorable mention in Carl's film he was never going to star in that movie. That's just being real. Carol makes the most logical choice between the other female Mar-Vell connected characters for the simple fact that between them she has the longest standing history with the Avengers. Thereby making her the longest standing on already license merchandise with her face on it that they can sell or resell. (This short version not going into the Gravity stuff)
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-17-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Spectacular Member

carol also had a longer running solo as ms marvel under brian reed before going captain so maybe that had something to do with it.