Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    If Marvel had the X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four we would not have a lot of the movies we have today or even the books.
    Oh, I know. I still remember when Iron Man was a C-lister.

But still, if comic sales are a consideration, they must be a extremely small, minor consideration. Studio had plenty of IP's available to them that looked like A-list properties compared to the GotG or Scott Lang.

Your point about Carol is a non-starter though. Marvel needs to use "a" Captain Marvel for legal reasons but the Studio didn't *need* to use Carol. Im very glad they did and she seemed the best choice in my mind, but she certainly wasn't the *only* viable option.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, I know. I still remember when Iron Man was a C-lister.

But still, if comic sales are a consideration, they must be a extremely small, minor consideration. Studio had plenty of IP's available to them that looked like A-list properties compared to the GotG or Scott Lang.

Your point about Carol is a non-starter though. Marvel needs to use "a" Captain Marvel for legal reasons but the Studio didn't *need* to use Carol. Im very glad they did and she seemed the best choice in my mind, but she certainly wasn't the *only* viable option.
    What characters would that be? Thor, Cap, Hulk, & Iron Man where all of marvel's longest running solo books that was not connected to Spider-Man or the X-Men. But they couldn't even use the Hulk as a solo movie but they got the other three. Out of all the other well known Avengers Ant-Man as a title comic(with Hank Pym and then with O'Grady) was the only other "solo" Avenger that had any real marketability. With added bonus of having a Notable director wanting to do a movie with him.

As a team of heroes that focused on Family and dealt with cosmic stuff GotG was the only one Marvel had that showed any success at all. Couldn't use the Defenders because 2 members of their team where locked in rights issues, couldn't used Champions because again rights issues(The original Champions. But thinking about that book did poorly so it would be dumb anyways), Alpha Flight same. Be foolish to use the New Warriors for that and possibly had rights issues with Speedball, Namorita, Justice, and Firestar.

So just out of curiosity sake....who did they have?

It's perfect starter actually. At the time that this all got started Bendis wanted to use Carol Danvers in his Avengers title. When the time came about to "renew" the Captain Marvel property, to maintain claim on the title, Bendis suggested it be her. This is also around the time movie buzz had been started about the title. When Bendis began that road for her there was no going back. It was Carol, another female like Monica/Phall-Vel, or nothing.

Though I stand by Mar-Vell should get an heavy handed honorable mention in Carl's film he was never going to star in that movie. That's just being real. Carol makes the most logical choice between the other female Mar-Vell connected characters for the simple fact that between them she has the longest standing history with the Avengers. Thereby making her the longest standing on already license merchandise with her face on it that they can sell or resell. (This short version not going into the Gravity stuff)
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-17-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

carol also had a longer running solo as ms marvel under brian reed before going captain so maybe that had something to do with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    If the MCU keeps pumping out great films a Nova movie will be coming. The ground work for it is already there. At some point or another it will happen.

But who will be the Nova to headline the film?

Do you think the MCU will go with Richard or do you think they will go with Sam?

If they go with Sam do you think they will transplant the things they like about Richard on to Sam, similar to what seems to be going on with Carol and Mar-Vell?
    I will not be surprised in the least were that to happen.

Do you think the MCU might go with a Nova Corps type movie instead?
    Since the movie made a billion dollars I think it is more likely the MCU will go with a Carol Corpse instead.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Isn't Richard Rider still alive, as opposed to Mar-Vell?
    That is good reasoning for the character being used for the MCU but it is also possible to gender-swap the character like the marvel characters Ajak and Makkari OR have the character be portrayed in live action by a non-white actor.

I have zero expectation of ever seeing a 'Nova Corps' movie. Even the comics don't use the Corps for anything other than sacrificial lambs. Every time they relaunch they start with wiping out everyone and having Rich be the 'last remaining one'. I would expect seeing Nova show up as a guest star in some Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy movie... but for any kind of in-depth look at a bunch of aliens in a GL-style setting... nahhh

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I have zero expectation of ever seeing a 'Nova Corps' movie. Even the comics don't use the Corps for anything other than sacrificial lambs. Every time they relaunch they start with wiping out everyone and having Rich be the 'last remaining one'. I would expect seeing Nova show up as a guest star in some Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy movie... but for any kind of in-depth look at a bunch of aliens in a GL-style setting... nahhh
    I think a Nova movie could have worked between Infinity War and Endgame. Set before IW we see that the Nova Corp used the power stone to create the Nova Force...maybe it is helmet based like Sam. A member of the NC was in the Earth system chasing Kronan criminals based on one of Saturn's moons (shout out the The Stonemen of Saturn). The NC member gets hurt and has to pass his power (helmet) on to Rich. Rich deals with the Kronans and becomes a hero. Mid credits has Thanos attacking Xandar and post credits is Rich helping a damaged ship on the other side of the sun and coming back to Earth just after the snap.

He then shows up Endgame and goes with them to face Thanos and the final battle.

Rich is a bigger deal than Sam is in the current comics status quo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Rich is a bigger deal than Sam is in the current comics status quo.
    So? Pym was bigger than Scott. I'd rather they went with the better story.

IMO, I think it should be both

BANNED

Nova in development at Marvel Studios

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Rich found a niche during DnAs cosmic run.
    Sam Alexander doesn’t really have that niche. A kid learning his way (even in space) is still similar to a kid finding their way...

Richard Rider just has the better stories there.

Yeah, how many years have we hard that the MCU was looking into Nova? Obviously they set the stage for the character in GotG but I'll believe a movie/show is happening when I see casting announcements.

As for who they use, Sam offers the "young coming of age story" and could be a viable thematic replacement for Spidey, since Holland is closing in on the end of his contract with a single solo film left to go. It'd also fit well with the Champions/Young Avengers roster they seem to be putting together. But Rich has better, more expansive source material to pull from.

Considering what the MCU did to Parker, they might just do a combo; make Rich a young biracial kid living with his single mother and younger brother, recruited into the Corps by a dying Dey.

But I'll believe it when it happens, we get these "reports" about a Nova film every other month.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

On the one hand I can see lots of great concepts that could go into a Nova movie. But on the other hand the specter of Green Lantern looms. I thought for sure GL was going to be a fantastic movie, based on the character's history and fan appeal. But then the movie came out and good grief OMG! DC hasn't used the character since. Not on the CW, not on the big screen. I'd hate for something similar to happen to Nova. The odds tell me that at some point MCU's luck is going to run its course and one of their movies is going to bomb. Hard.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

green lantern's hard to use on cw, it takes too many effects

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    On the one hand I can see lots of great concepts that could go into a Nova movie. But on the other hand the specter of Green Lantern looms. I thought for sure GL was going to be a fantastic movie, based on the character's history and fan appeal. But then the movie came out and good grief OMG! DC hasn't used the character since. Not on the CW, not on the big screen. I'd hate for something similar to happen to Nova. The odds tell me that at some point MCU's luck is going to run its course and one of their movies is going to bomb. Hard.
    I don't think we really need to worry about the specter of the GL movie; Marvel clearly knows what they're doing and are not afraid of repeating DC's many mistakes. Hell I'm kinda surprised a Nova film hasn't happened yet just so Disney/Marvel can rub it in WB/DC's face and say "This is how you do the concept well!"

And yeah, the MCU will drop a clunker eventually. It's remarkable it hasn't happened yet. But fear of failure isn't any reason to hold back.

~ Black Panther.

DC is making a Green Lantern show on HBO Max.