Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

With the way the MCU is going, I think it would be a natural fit to go straight into Richard's origin with Thanos destroying Xandar, and Dey giving Rider his powers. Then Rich can learn on the job as he gets sucked into some cosmic Marvel conflict.

I'm thinking someone like Scott Eastwood would be perfect for Richard's role.

My take on Richard's name being an issue is that the movie will only refer to him as Rich and Richard (just as in the comics), and it'll only be a topic for those who WANT to make it one.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It is, just like him having a partner and love interest known as the Wasp also was.
    Who is a different character than the real Wasp who is also in the movie.

Someone clearly likes repetitive dialogue.

To illustrate the point that "But they didn't have this connection in the comics" doesn't matter in a movie adaptation.
    So you are using more bad examples. Least now it makes sense.

Which has nothing to do with what I said.
    What you are saying is barely making coherent sense going from one point to the next.

And the point of using Kyle Rayner was an example was that it doesn't matter at all since they wouldn't be following the comics strictly anyway.
    The same can be said with Rich. Which I stated numerous times.

*cough* Kyle Rayner
    ...wow I fell into the pissing contest I told myself I wasn't going to get into....

And I'm reminded of the saying about arguing with a certain species of bird as well.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Who is a different character than the real Wasp who is also in the movie.
    Which again, has nothing to do with my point.

Someone clearly likes repetitive dialogue.
    Someone clearly likes being obtuse.

So you are using more bad examples.
    "It doesn't happen except for those times it happened!" basically.

What you are saying is barely making coherent sense going from one point to the next.
    It makes complete sense, you're just ducking it.

The same can be said with Rich. Which I stated numerous times.
    And as I've stated numerous times, it'd be an unnecessary leap since they already have a non-white Nova. Several, in fact.

And I'm reminded of the saying about arguing with a certain species of bird as well.
    Hey that's not fair to yourself. I'm sure you're perfectly capable of keeping your bowels in check will playing chess.

Ultimate Member

I really don't want get into all of that here but at the end of the day if Mar-Vell was never created Carol would have never been created. The character should have a place (not necessarily the lead) in the first film simply for that reason alone.
    I'm sure Marvel would have created another Captain Marvel eventually, and one would hope that they'd make a powerful female character

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Which again, has nothing to do with my point.

Someone clearly likes being obtuse.

"It doesn't happen except for those times it happened!" basically.

It makes complete sense, you're just ducking it.

And as I've stated numerous times, it'd be an unnecessary leap since they already have a non-white Nova. Several, in fact.

Hey that's not fair to yourself. I'm sure you're perfectly capable of keeping your bowels in check will playing chess.
    Sure thing Holt. You win. Congrats. *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-11-2018 at 05:04 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm sure Marvel would have created another Captain Marvel eventually, and one would hope that they'd make a powerful female character
    They had a pretty good one with Monic...but we know how that went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    With the way the MCU is going, I think it would be a natural fit to go straight into Richard's origin with Thanos destroying Xandar, and Dey giving Rider his powers. Then Rich can learn on the job as he gets sucked into some cosmic Marvel conflict.
    I agree.

I'm thinking someone like Scott Eastwood would be perfect for Richard's role.
    I'm not sure I have ever seen him act in anything, so I couldn't comment. But I will look him up now that you mentioned him.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Kid Nova should be the kid’s name along with the red costume.
    Agreed. Like I said before Sam gets a shot no matter what. Rich misses this opportunity and he will probably be shelved indefinitely.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-10-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

No, I'm saying that his application of being a minority based off of how he is drawn and represented in the book can easily be transplanted on to Rich. There is nothing that firmly places him as character as minority outside of Marvel saying it is so.

The controversy for a change like that will be minimal if there is any at all. Because again there is nothing in the books that signal's the character is anything but a white kid. If Marvel threw in that Rich has a proud Latino uncle, aunt, or grandparent and kept the story going it be done and no one would fuss about it.
    You keep going back to this but this is not true.
    I want to make this clear that sam does not look white in the comics and cartoons.

Another point you said if the movie is about richard rider he could discover that he is latino or half latino in the movie but that story would be too much of a rip off of Kyle rayner green lantern from dc.

You would have 2 looking white guys who discover they are white latinos.
    One in the comics and the other in movies.
    No need for that since sam would already know he is latino and not white in appearance anyway if he is the main star of a nova movie.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I think in terms of movie potential Rich and Sam are about the same, and frankly need one another.
    Rich’s origin, frankly, leaves a lot to be desired. A dying alien cop shoots a random beam of power towards earth without much thought towards finding a worthy successor. I mean, at least Hal’s power ring sought out someone without fear. How did the dying Noa know we wouldn’t get a flying turtle?

The Rich we know and love comes from Fabian N’s New Warriors. And that Rich was created after losing his powers, wallowing in what he’s losing and struggling to cope with life and a lack of direction afterwards. Frankly, I think that there’s a great comparable between Rich and many soldiers returning from war.

But, unfortunately, that Rich, the current one we know and love, only really comes after years of canon that would be hard to fit into a movie.

It’s here that Sam has an advantage with regards to his origin. He’s following in the foot steps of his father, learning about a secret legacy he never knew about.

It’s a better origin yes, but has two problems.

First, while it’s a better origin, it hasn’t given Sam better characterization. Sam without powers is who, exactly? Champions is addressing that some, but it will take time.

Second, while said origin is better than Rich’s, it’s not that terribly original. Especially for movies. Finding a ‘son following in Dad’s steps action movie’ should take all of ten seconds in Netflixs. And as others have pointed out, some kids are lucky to have a father at all. Being angry at a dad for having a shitty job, kinda makes him look like a douche. A father that tries is better than no dad at all.
    On top of that, race isn’t the only form of diversity (though it is the most important). And action movies have long struggled with diversity in terms of protagonists. 90% of modern action heroes that aren’t heroes are grizzled cops, are ex-special forces. All disgusted with the system. All one day away from being suspended, etc.

John McClane and Shaft for example, aren’t the same character, no, but they’re not too terribly different.

I think people really underestimate the diversity of the MCU protagonists, which has helped it thrive. Tony Stark is a CEO, Cap was a weakling simply trying to serve his country, Thor an arrogant prince, etc.

Look at Panther and Cap. They have the exact same powers, but even if they were played by the same actor, telling them apart would be easy.

That’s why Sam and Rich need each other, IMO. Their angst need one another as foils, as neither’s character is enough to carry a move by themselves. And a buddy cop movie is overdue from Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    You keep going back to this but this is not true.
    Straight White Teen in Marvel comics

Sam Alexander

*Looks up* *Shrug* If you say so.

Some Guardian of Galaxy concept art

Extraordinary Member

Straight White Teen in Marvel comics
    He does not look like that all the time.
    I am talking about on average,so you ignore my post when i said he does not look white.
    When i meant that i meant he is not drawn white most of time.

He is not suppose to look white.
    The first pic he looks more white but drawn differently in the second pic and he looks kinda bi-racial in the second pic by the way i think.

Sometimes nico,colleen wing,asian psylocke were drawn looking white in the past.
    There were white characters drawn sometimes looking black in comics.
    Artist mistakes etc.. you get the point.

These pics below he does not look white.The last one his skin is lighter but he does not look white.

Last edited by mace11; 12-12-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

More images of sam.
    He looks like a poc in these pics,not white.

Let me make it more clear.
    Most of the time sam has a mestizo-native american/euro-asian asian look in the comics and those are the type of latino actors they would need to get for a live action movie.
    The same for the dceu upcoming blue beetle movie.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-12-2018 at 03:46 AM.

I mentioned Darkhawk because, to me, he looks like an older version of Sam in his latest series. it's a very generic look.

about Scott Lang. he had grown in size prior to the movie. he just preferred not to (it would usually result in him being disoriented like in the second movie). people don't remember this stuff because he was always a background character/part-time hero. but he had been Ant-Man since 1980. that's why it was appropriate for him to be the lead in the Ant-Man movie. he didn't just take up Hank's mantle. he literally and figuratively stole the identity from Hank. would have been mean spirited to overlook him in the films. plus, he had the better story in this particular instance. the scientist gives himself power trope was stale by that point. oh and he had also teamed up with the Wasp. the reason why it didn't happen more often was because neither Scott or Jan had a book, mini, or solo series prior to the movie.

I just want a Nova movie to be made, yes i would prefer for it to be Rich as he is my Nova but i do get that Sam can be relatable for teens and of course Rich's name is ripe for jokes making it more of a comedy than the serious space epic we deserve.