Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It's not going to be a issue. Probably be best to move away from this part of the discussion before it gets to risky and a Mod chimes in.
    Its really not.

I mean, if the movie called him "Dick" all the time I suppose I could see the argument (despite the filters you mention) but if someone watches the movie, with Nova being called "Rich" or "Richard" all the time and then Googles "Dick Rider" they're probably not looking for Nova in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Honestly, I'd bet they just do what they did with Spider-Man and basically make it an amalgamation of Sam and Rich.
    I think that'll happen no matter who Marvel uses; both characters have some solid qualities the film makers could want to use. It'd mostly just boil down to what kind of split it ends up being. Would Nova be more "Rich" or more "Sam?" Because however it plays out, odds are a little of both will be there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He was Latino. Or at least his mother was. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the powers that be jumped on that and it gave him an edge over Rich when it came to promotion.
    It is a big factor in Sam's favor. And no offense to the character or anything but it's likely his biggest advantage. The MCU is full of white guys (and Rich would end up being played by someone named Chris, you know it be true!) but Sam's got both the "teenager" thing and the "Latino" thing to set him apart.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It is a big factor in Sam's favor. And no offense to the character or anything but it's likely his biggest advantage. The MCU is full of white guys (and Rich would end up being played by someone named Chris, you know it be true!) but Sam's got both the "teenager" thing and the "Latino" thing to set him apart.
    Does the MCU have any Latino heroes that actually Earth based characters? Zoe Saldana traces Dominican ethnicity but that doesn't really factor into Gamora.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Does the MCU have any Latino heroes that actually Earth based characters? Zoe Saldana traces Dominican ethnicity but that doesn't really factor into Gamora.
    Not off the top of my head, no.

The closest that comes to mind is Tessa Thompson, who's half black and half Latina apparently. But I dunno if she "counts" because she's playing an Asgardian. But at least she's not covered in paint.

It's slightly better on the tv side of things (though still not great), where we've had the newest Ghost Rider and Yo-yo on Agents of SHIELD, and Claire is portrayed as having a Mexican (I think she's Mexican?) mother on Netflix.

Of course, that depends on whether you include the tv stuff as part of the MCU. I know some fans dont think its the same continuity.

However you slice it, its pretty f*cking sad.

~ Black Panther.

You know this whole thing wouldn’t be as bad if the movies didn’t have a chook hold on the comics. It’s terrible that fans have to be stuck with versions of characters they clearly don’t like and wont support just for the synergy.

If race does play a factor I really hope MCU just racebends Rich to have a latino background and call it a day. At least then we get the better character, while still pleasing those focused on skin tone.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

MCU YoYo,Robbie Reyes and Rosario Dawson(Night Nurse?). People don't get outside the X Franchise(Darwin, Rictor,Sunspot,Celia Reyes,Wind dancer,Skin,etc) how few Latino Heroes in Marvel they are

White Tiger
    Living Lighting
    American Chavez
    Power Man
    Robbie Reyes- ghost rider
    Mile Morales-Spiderman
    Sam Alexander-Nova
    Reptil
    Arna Carzon-Spider girl
    Firebird
    Echo/Ronin
    Joaquin Torres-Falcon
    Red Locus

And couple more but if you are trying to eventually be diverse which is one of Marvel goals. Who do you see can do a solo movie? And remember Miles is probably years away becuase of how young Peter Parker is and Robbie Reyes is on the small screen. Nova is arguably biggest latino hero if you look at it like that.

. At least then we get the better character.
    Fine. what story pre 2006 about Nova has to be told? Who is the villain in the franchise that has to be used?

Can Richard Rider biggest stories even be told in MCU? Will Thanos be dead after Avengers 4? Will Quasar, Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, the Silver Surfer and Ronan the Accuser be around? Are you going to be able to get Chris Pratt to come back and play Starlord? New warriors won't be factor in his history because they are making new warriors tv show and he is not part of it. What about his connection to Gamora or Namorita? The issue with Richard Ryder is not if he is a good character or not. Issue so many things have to be adapted,changed,modify to point that that you will be getting a new story and basically a new character. If you are using a new character well then just use Sam because he has good origin story for a movie and he is blank enough slate that you can add on the good stuff.

Anyways I think I have made my point good enough. Plus It does have to be one or another thing they can use both.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-07-2018 at 06:12 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

MCU Nova Force is so different compared to 616's too. Also Sam would have the same problem since his story arc is based mostly around the Chitauri and they're a non-issue in MCU.

I think Sam's got the better origin story so I'd go with him.
    I can't even remember Rich's origin story.

But if they choose Sam make him an only child.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    MCU Nova Force is so different compared to 616's too. Also Sam would have the same problem since his story arc is based mostly around the Chitauri and they're a non-issue in MCU.

I can't even remember Rich's origin story.

But if they choose Sam make him an only child.
    Rich origin is the "The green lantern hal jordan origin".

Chitauri (which they still can use )can be changed to generic aliens and wouldn't really hurt the story. Sam story is a twist on Last Starfighter imo,You just have to hit certain things to make it work but it is flexible. Also Family is one of the reason his story work having a little sister doesn't hurt the story.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-07-2018 at 07:20 AM.

If race does play a factor I really hope MCU just racebends Rich to have a latino background and call it a day. At least then we get the better character, while still pleasing those focused on skin tone.
    At that point it's much easier to just use Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    But he's never called Dick. It's always Rich, Richie, or Richard.
    even worse. they call him helmet head. Richard wears a helmet. i'm thinking that the best thing to do might be to merge the characters (in the hypothetical movie); use elements of Rich and Sam (mainly, his name).

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Fine. what story pre 2006 about Nova has to be told? Who is the villain in the franchise that has to be used?

Can Richard Rider biggest stories even be told in MCU? Will Thanos be dead after Avengers 4? Will Quasar, Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, the Silver Surfer and Ronan the Accuser be around? Are you going to be able to get Chris Pratt to come back and play Starlord? New warriors won't be factor in his history because they are making new warriors tv show and he is not part of it. What about his connection to Gamora or Namorita? The issue with Richard Ryder is not if he is a good character or not. Issue so many things have to be adapted,changed,modify to point that that you will be getting a new story and basically a new character. If you are using a new character well then just use Sam because he has good origin story for a movie and he is blank enough slate that you can add on the good stuff.

Anyways I think I have made my point good enough. Plus It does have to be one or another thing they can use both.
    Not really everything you stated here can be turned around and be said the same thing with Sam. There is by far more stories to mine with Rich and the difference being people actually want him back in comics. If Sam is made for the movie that will be all but the end of that character in comics. For Sam not the case. He can still be featured in later movies or stories as a younger version the same as he is in the comics.

No one here is even arguing the fact that most of Sam's stories have been bad. Just the fact that he is latino and should get the push for that. It be better (in this isolated case) to just reveal that Nova has some kind of diverse heritage and move forward with him. It's incredibly bonkers that we are in a time that a clearly weaker product is getting more support then the one admittedly better.

And to add if someone hasn't even bothered to read the pre-2006 stories of Richard Rider to comment, why would I take the time to prove to you that they are good? Grab $5 get a Marvel Unlimited Sub and do your own research
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-07-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Rich origin is the "The green lantern hal jordan origin".

Chitauri (which they still can use )can be changed to generic aliens and wouldn't really hurt the story. Sam story is a twist on Last Starfighter imo,You just have to hit certain things to make it work but it is flexible. Also Family is one of the reason his story work having a little sister doesn't hurt the story.
    I really, really can't believe that in the age of televised gaming and stuff like twitch The Last Starfighter still hasn't been remade. Marvel has a chance to grab that and roll it into Nova.

Make him a kid who believes his father abandoned him, and he immerses himself in gaming, only to discover his father was actually part of a galactic police force and the Worldmind has used a VR gaming contest or something to scout for his replacement.

That's just the elevator pitch I'd use. Obviously someone who gets paid to write these would clean it up and turn it into something better.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    But he's never called Dick. It's always Rich, Richie, or Richard.
    I know that. I like Nova as a character. but he's being called Rich, Richie, or Richard by his friends and family. there are people making fun of Brie Larson's lack of curves. you really think that they'll ignore an opening like 'Richard Rider?' if I were a marvel villain or someone on 4chan, I would make that joke every time the character showed up. because he can't change his name. it takes no creativity whatsoever. and that's why it's a problem; marketing-wise. it's a real miracle or a testament to the writing that Rich has risen so far in the comics. Sam is more usable not because of diversity but because he's inoffensively generic (despite being named after a tragically deceased individual).

MCU YoYo,Robbie Reyes and Rosario Dawson(Night Nurse?). People don't get outside the X Franchise(Darwin, Rictor,Sunspot,Celia Reyes,Wind dancer,Skin,etc) how few Latino Heroes in Marvel they are

White Tiger
    Living Lighting
    American Chavez
    Power Man
    Robbie Reyes- ghost rider
    Mile Morales-Spiderman
    Sam Alexander-Nova
    Reptil
    Arna Carzon-Spider girl
    Firebird
    Echo/Ronin
    Joaquin Torres-Falcon
    Red Locus
    You have a few typos there. It's Anya Corazon, not Arna. American Chavez should be America, Mile Morales obviously should be Miles. Red Locust is changing her name to just Locust as of next month's Champions #1. In fact her costume is as much yellow as it is red. Living Lightning is now just Lightning.

Also, from that list, White Tiger, Lightning, Reptil, Firebird all aren't currently in use. Echo will be in Captain Marvel (alongside Spider-Woman and Hazmat). Anya is in the Spider-Girls mini that ends next week but after that may also be going back into limbo. America appears in West Coast Avengers. Ghost Rider is in The Avengers. Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Miles, Sam, Joaquin and Locust are all in Champions.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    At that point it's much easier to just use Sam.
    Disagree. It takes zero explaining to have Rich show up as Hispanic or Latino and to keep the story moving.

Keep's more stories for Marvel to resell more history and connections for them to mine. While also keeping both fanbases happy.

I mean if Marvel can totally recon Carol Danver's origin for the purposes to prove that she is a "self-made" woman I don't see why they couldn't just a random Uncle of Riches to show up and give him the true history of his Hispanic or Latino heratige for the comics. Done.

I really wish now I added a poll to this thread just to see which character has the most support on CBR board. Just for the sake of curiosity at this point. If it is Sam it's fine at least I would know for sure. Most seem to agree that Rich's stories are better in this thread but that doesn't mean they prefer him.