Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Default Merry X-Men Special Review *spoilers*

So, we finally have our Holiday Calendar. We got the first 5 stories in the preview.

The next stories

Dec. 6. Jingle All the, Wait A Minute.
    Jubilee & Shogo wake up, and Shogo is hungry. As it turns out, they've been kidnapped & locked in a mall. lol

Dec. 7: The Chiche Who Stole Christmas
    Gambit up to his antics again, and stealing what appears to be Wolverine toys.

Dec. 8: The White Elephant
    Iceman is tasked by Kitty to do something with the young X-Men. So they play a game called White Elephant. And some of the gifts seem a bit meta lol

Dec. 9: The Impossible Enemy
    Magneto saves two mutant children & promises to offer them Sanctuary. The kids look at the Manoras & talk about Hanukkah. Magneto losing faith in celebrating since there's little cause for it, but the child telling the story seems to restore him as he remembers the miracles of the past.

Dec/ 10: Christmas Jeer
    Storm is enjoying a regular day, listening to radio talk about Charlamagnethe God (lol), then she's confronted by a creep who calls her mutant lady, who was married to the King of "that @#*%$ country." Storm calmly tells the man her proper name, and the proper name of Wakanda. The guy continues his prejudiced comments, so Storm gives him a gift of lightening. The man runs screaming now the sidewalk as a lightening cloud follows & continues to zap him. Storm leaves happily.

Dec. 11: Deck the Malls
    Jubilee & Shogo are being chased through the mall as Shogo drops his BAMF doll. Jubilee promises him they'll get it back.

Dec. 12: The Giving Season
    Beast was here. I skipped this one. lol

Dec/ 13: Christmas Cat-Astrophe
    Rogue & Gambit can't get Oliver to take his medicine. They have to try & catch him without destroying the house too badly. Oliver wins. lol But it's good Rogue & Gambit didn't eat the medicine this time, though Gambit got some in his eye, which Rogue kisses to make better.

Dec. 14: The Gift that Keeps on Giving.
    When announced a while back, this was going to be a Sabretooth story by Sitterson, called Red Christmas, which I was iffy on but still curious about. Instead, it became Old Man Logan's story, and I promptly skipped it in annoyance lol Bring on his death, please!!!!

Dec. 15: Home for the Holidays
    Cannonball spends the Holiday with Izzy, as they chat about Winter Solstice.

Dec. 16: The Naughty List
    Domino is completing a hit on a creep trafficker, which goes over well. She shoot him right between the eyes, and smiles at how therapeutic Holidays can be.

Dec. 17: Baby Steps
    Betsy spends Christmas with her family, who are surprised & happy to see the real her again. While her niece tries taking her first steps, Betsy says they could be alike and never get the hang of having a body.

Dec. 18: Deck the Halls
    Glob. Enough said. lol

Dec. 19: Secret Santa
    Gabby & Laura celebrate the Holiday, opening their gifts. Gabby gets one from a secret santa & sets off to find them. It wasn't Storm or Bishop, or Kitty. When the latter asks who it smelled like, Gabby recalls -"sisters." Mindee was her SS.

Dec. 20: All I Want for Christmas Is You
    Through a rough fight & explosion, Shogo gets BAMF back! lol

Dec. 21: The Longest Night
    Hope isn't enjoying Bobby's Christmas party much. In a bittersweet Christmas, she, Bobby, and Deadpool watch past videos of Cable + Hope.

Dec. 22: Blue Christmas
    More Beast again, skipped. lol

Dec. 23: To All A Good Nightcrawler
    Kurt comes to the scene of two kids who are considering breaking into a store to get gifts they weren't sure Santa would bring. Kurt gives them a lecture, and they wonder if he has kids. Kurt says he doesn't, but he has elves & an angry woman, known as their mother. lol

Dec. 24: The Gift of Madri
    Gambit gives Madrox a watch from "Winston Churchill", saying it's real, but not to let anyone know or tell anyone where he got it. Gambit explains the X-Men all buy gifts for each other, and Jamie panics because there's a lot of X-Men, and he doesn't know all of them. Christmas day, he's done his shopping. Storm is excited about her gift, until she sees everyone got the same thing. The watch Gambit got. lol

Dec. 25: Walking in a Winter Murderland
    As it turns out, Arcade put Jubilee into his Murdermall. He thinks it's a good idea to have them all over the world, they'll make a real killing. Jubilee has escaped and puts one Merry beating on him. She only pauses to give Shogo Bamf, while she works. Storm & Kurt show up (whom Shogo calls Big Bamf lol). Storm says they can still celebrate, but Jubilee is done with Christmas for a bit.

For the most part, a lot of fun stories. With exceptions of Beast, Glob, and Old Logan, who still manages to be everywhere even when he's supposedly dying.

Anyway, my favorite story is Wade Christmas for the Ellie cameo. But loved the Magneto & Jubilee stories too. Probably my top 3.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-05-2018 at 07:30 AM.

I wasn't feeling the previews, but I ended up enjoying most of these stories. Bunn's Magneto shines again. Loved the Braddock reunion, even Glob made me smile and didn't expect Domino to break the joyful mood like that.

I think the Nightcrawler and OML were the only weird/not fun ones to me.

Loved it. Madrox story is my favourite

BANNED

Most of these were kinda meh. Double Meh for Kavita geeking out over a TLJ script. Now if it was the Empire script signed by GL + the Original Trio? THAT would have been the ultimate SW gift.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Sounds like it might be worth skipping for now. I generally love these holiday anthologies, but maybe one consisting entirely of one-shots isn't for the best. Will hop on it when it hits Marvel Unlimited I imagine.

$5 for 25 pages of zip.

I really enjoyed the Jubilee/Shogo one, but the rest weren't much.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I really enjoyed the Gabby/Mindee story. It was cute.

Bunn said he was done writing Magneto with Blue but he's in this thing. I didnt expect that

Friendship ended with LAURA

MINDEE is her sister now and they will be happy forever

i'mnotcryingyouareshuddup

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

I have to say I’m very impressed with the Jubilee and Shogo story. A meaningful interaction with them has been needed since Generation X ended. Also, the amount of detail that went into that story was amazing for being a ‘mini issue.’ The bamf doll, bikini she battled Sauron in, her gymnastics and blading abilities (finally someone remembers that Jubilee is an amazing gymnast...), the snow suit that was the very same she wore in the original Gen X holiday special... and the fact that she is capable of surviving danger for weeks and kicking the crap out of Arcade was an amazing touch.

I’d read a miniseries or series from this writer about Jubilee and Shogo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I really enjoyed the Gabby/Mindee story. It was cute.
    that was my favorite.

Most everything else was hilariously out of character...both of those Storm stories lol that's not her

Didn't Xavier make everyone in Beast's family forget he ever existed (without his consent btw)? Was there an storyline where they regained their memories or

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Didn't Xavier make everyone in Beast's family forget he ever existed (without his consent btw)? Was there an storyline where they regained their memories or
    I didn't know this. Now i see why Beast keep messing up everything. This is really sad

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I enjoyed more stories than I disliked. My favorites were Rowell's Beast page, William's Braddock reunion, and Ewing's Cannonball story. I usually don't care for Sims and Bowers, but their Jubilee story was mostly fun, although as a nitpick I don't believe that she would want to spend the holidays away from the X-Men.