Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation This Way to a Dark Ride - Marrow Appreciation

WELCOME TO FORTYSEVEN'S MARROW APPRECIATION THREAD!

Come in, eat a spleen, cut a throat, throw a rat in some bitch's bed.

Viva La Marrow!

marrow.jpeg

Since there are other couples appreciation threads, should I also make a Marrow/Cannonball appreciation thread?

Don't know about his relationship. Just my two cents about the character - I never liked Marrow, maybe the writers didn't do her any good. However, since X-Force vol.4 started, I have grown fond of her! She's raving mad and hilariuos! I just hope she doesn't get killed off any time soon. She has made me laugh so many times these past issues... Her comments are spot on, I think Spurrier does justice to her.

Fantastic Member

Cannonball/Marrow is from just after Onslaught (over ten years ago), good stuff (the relationship, not Onslaught)

Storm cut her heart out once and she is still alive, I'd say she is here to stay

I for one am glad to see Marrow back in the X-men's world, it does feel as if she has been away far too long. She causes friction wherever she goes, and her background as a morlock gives her a different outlook to some of the other mutants on any given team. I did prefer her when she had less control over her power, with bones jutting out of her body and giving her a less conventional appearance, and her personality seemed more flaring then as well.

I do enjoy her in X-force so far though, and am interested to see just exactly what happened to her before the current X-force started.

Marrow and Cannonball had some really good moments back then. I also liked it when she defended Angel from the Abomination that one time.
    I have to say that even though I was happy to have her back, I'm not too thrilled with how she's written in X-Force. The attitude is spot on but the voice sounds like Boom Boom. At least she's still a bad ass. She'll always be the one who shove a bone down Wolverine's throat
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

I don't care what people say. Marrow is one of the most awesome mutants ever.

I hope she, Psylocke, and Domino become BFF's.

Quote Originally Posted by jdtennesse View Post
    Don't know about his relationship. Just my two cents about the character - I never liked Marrow, maybe the writers didn't do her any good. However, since X-Force vol.4 started, I have grown fond of her! She's raving mad and hilariuos! I just hope she doesn't get killed off any time soon. She has made me laugh so many times these past issues... Her comments are spot on, I think Spurrier does justice to her.
    Funny how it's the exact opposite for me so far. I really liked her back in the day and was bummed when she disappeared when Claremont came back on board and I've been hoping for her return ever since but now that she's back I wish she wasn't. I just can't stand that hyperactive annoyance that Spurrier depicts her as. But hopefully she'll grow on me or Spurrier tones it down with her since I really want to enjoy this X-Force because it's one of the few books I read, it's X-Force, I've waited so long for Marrow to return and Spurrier's Legacy run was phenomenal. I really don't want to drop it even if it does feature Fantomex (ugh) and Marrow annoys me a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I don't care what people say. Marrow is one of the most awesome mutants ever.

I hope she, Psylocke, and Domino become BFF's.
    That would be quite the trio.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

So what are everyone's thoughts on the developments surrounding Marrow in the most recent issue of X-Force?

I've been a Marrow fan for about as long as she's been around. Easily my favorite X-Man. But I have to agree with the opinion that I wasn't very fond of her characterization in X-Force at first. That said, however, given the nature of her reintroduction, I had confidence that Spurrier was going to get around to explaining her more-cracked-than-usual personality eventually, and now that he has, I'm pretty excited about the implications. Not only do I think it will make for some nice character development for her, but I'm also hoping this will lead to her gradually acting more and more like the Marrow I grew up with.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    So what are everyone's thoughts on the developments surrounding Marrow in the most recent issue of X-Force?

I've been a Marrow fan for about as long as she's been around. Easily my favorite X-Man. But I have to agree with the opinion that I wasn't very fond of her characterization in X-Force at first. That said, however, given the nature of her reintroduction, I had confidence that Spurrier was going to get around to explaining her more-cracked-than-usual personality eventually, and now that he has, I'm pretty excited about the implications. Not only do I think it will make for some nice character development for her, but I'm also hoping this will lead to her gradually acting more and more like the Marrow I grew up with.
    I posted earlier that I wasn't too happy with Marrow's voice under Spurrier's pen but that's all changed. That revelation really resonated with me and had one of her best emotional beats that will definitely last. I was so very wrong about how he handled Sarah and I'm happy to eat some crow to admit how much I'm loving that book. I think Marrow fans really lucked out on this one. Most of the time if a writer wants to 'shake things up' with a character they seem to go with some out of nowhere retcon, but with Marrow we get a story with a natural progression.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I posted earlier that I wasn't too happy with Marrow's voice under Spurrier's pen but that's all changed. That revelation really resonated with me and had one of her best emotional beats that will definitely last. I was so very wrong about how he handled Sarah and I'm happy to eat some crow to admit how much I'm loving that book. I think Marrow fans really lucked out on this one. Most of the time if a writer wants to 'shake things up' with a character they seem to go with some out of nowhere retcon, but with Marrow we get a story with a natural progression.
    Very well put. Truth be told, I wasn't even enjoying the book that much as a whole at first, but I trudged along telling myself that Spurrier had a plan. The hints were there, not just in his interview, but in the writing itself. That notwithstanding, however, I was getting a little worried with each passing month that nothing new came to light. The revelation in last month's issue single-handedly put this book at the top of my read pile. I went back and reread the entire series from the beginning last week, and Marrow's attitude and dialogue reads so much better now that I have an idea of what she went through.

I was happy when X-Force was first announced just because Marrow was finally returning. But now, I'm even happier, because I feel like she's truly on her way back. I can't wait to see where this all goes in the coming months.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

I know it's a little thing but in part of the last issue Marrow said 'pretty' and that was her thing she did in the past. It was a type of slur that she used for others, especially when she was talking down to them. Maybe I'm making something out of nothing or maybe we'll be seeing old Marrow slowly bleed into this version of X-Force as the story moves along.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

From the trailer of the Snow White sequel "The Huntsman: Winters War", the way that Jessica Chastain's character "Sara, The Warrior" moves and uses bone-like weapons, I am reminded of our own Sarah.

Especially how she stores her blades when not in use. Totally Marrow swagger.