Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why doesn't DC do more Superman family adventures stories like Batman family ?

When I see the Batman Family together, I get a sense of Family, but when I see the Superman family together I get a sense of separation. I mean all I wanted to see was Supergirl team up with Jon Kent Superboy in an adventure or two with Superman helping out on the side.

I would love for the new Power Girl to meet Superman and from him and Kara.

Honestly What is DC problem with the Superman family that they cannot act like the Batman family...While Separated they are great, but they are stronger when they fight together. So why can't we have that for Superman and his powerful cast of characters ?
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 11-29-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

They tend to cover much more space individually. Like Bruce and his buddies could spend a whole night pushing a broken down batmobile from the city to the cave, where Jon alone is too powerful to bother with a car.

Aside from that, it's extremely tough for spin off titles to catch on right now

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Because superman gets rebooted and his family members either aged up, erased or written out of continuity. So the super family always shrinks. The only characters that have escaped this are Kon and Kara because outside media adaptations.
    The super family is not that financially viable. The characters are not familiar outside comic circle.

With the Zoom imprint they're looking to once again push Damian, but also push Jon. Right now the former is pretty well known although I'm not sure there's anything that translates into financial viability. Same for Ric, Dick, or Babs. Kara is the bigger name right now even if her comic sales aren't clearly better. Kate didn't make it further than Kenan. Jason's run has been surprisingly resilient, but aside from that he really doesn't match Lois. Cassandra, Tim, and Stephanie are pretty close with Kon to be fair, but he's on the verge of a decent push. Steel is collecting cobwebs but he is gold.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    With the Zoom imprint they're looking to once again push Damian, but also push Jon. Right now the former is pretty well known although I'm not sure there's anything that translates into financial viability. Same for Ric, Dick, or Babs. Kara is the bigger name right now even if her comic sales aren't clearly better. Kate didn't make it further than Kenan. Jason's run has been surprisingly resilient, but aside from that he really doesn't match Lois. Cassandra, Tim, and Stephanie are pretty close with Kon to be fair, but he's on the verge of a decent push. Steel is collecting cobwebs but he is gold.
    Dude, just look at how many bat family books they publish compare that super family book. If they are willing to give these many books to the bat when they are not will to give a speed force(second flash book). That must mean bat books sells more
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-30-2018 at 07:21 AM.

I would say that it mostly rest on one question : what kind of threat may require Superman, Supergirl, the Superboys, Steel, Super-Man and any other members that one can think of the Super-family, but not the Justice League ?

Because, that's the big thing : in theory, you have foes requiring a solo hero (Black Manta for Aquaman, Luthor for Superman, Joker for Batman) in their solo books and either bigger threats or a gathering of smaller ones in the JL books.

Of course, there can be exceptions, but you'll notice that they almost always happen in the Bat-books, because it's relatively easy to explain why Joker/Bane/Riddler, could suddenly be a threat large enough to warrant more vigilantes on the ground to stop him.

Meanwhile, it must be kind of hard to sell to DC's exécutives that a foe powerful enough to require several Superman-level heroes is better suited for just the Superman books over pushing the Bat-brand and all the other flashy logos which boost sales.

No single reason, but here are a couple potential ones.

• The sidekick tradition. Batman has had partners practically since day one. With Superman, his partners were the friends and associates of Clark Kent.
    • The city. It can be argued that the main star of the Batman franchise is the city of Gotham. That requires lots of people interacting and meeting each other. Superman does not have a similar association with a singular place.
    • The loner. Part of the construction of Superman is that he is unique, and any new Superman-family character detracts from that.
    • Tradition. Writers, readers, and editors have become used to Superman working mostly alone, while Batman and his associates work together with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude, just look at how many bat family books they publish compare that super family book. If they are willing to give these many books to the bat when they are not will to give a speed force(second flash book). That must mean bat books sells more
    Maybe I'm not looking at the same thing? In quantity, if we're not just talking about how well books starring Bruce sell, what are you comparing? How many Bat projects have there been compared to Super projects? You have to include Joker or at least Harley for a real edge.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    No single reason, but here are a couple potential ones.

• The sidekick tradition. Batman has had partners practically since day one. With Superman, his partners were the friends and associates of Clark Kent.
    • The city. It can be argued that the main star of the Batman franchise is the city of Gotham. That requires lots of people interacting and meeting each other. Superman does not have a similar association with a singular place.
    • The loner. Part of the construction of Superman is that he is unique, and any new Superman-family character detracts from that.
    • Tradition. Writers, readers, and editors have become used to Superman working mostly alone, while Batman and his associates work together with each other.
    I agree with this, except Superman is absolutely associated with Metropolis as an established hero and Smallville in his formative years. Now Metropolis definitely doesn't have the "character" of Gotham in a lot of interpretations, a "Metropolis Central" book wouldn't be as successful as Gotham Central was, but "Metropolis" is associated with "Superman" as much as Batman is associated with Gotham.

But yes, Batman has side kicks that have changed over the years. Superman has a supporting cast that changes depending on the setting, but Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen have the recognition or status of a Robin. (moreso actually, mass media frequently leaves Robin out of adaptations, but Lois is a constant with even Smallville bringing her in early). And both Lois and Jimmy could support their own books probably at the level of a Supergirl or Robin individual title.
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-30-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Aside from Lois and Kara, very little of his family has remained. Connor is returning, but Jon was aged up for shock value, and the others over the years, have been lost to reboots and retcons.

Sales are the main reason I assume. The Batfamily are pretty well known and benefit from Batman’s brand power. Superman is still a relatively strong brand but nowhere near strong enough to support as many titles as Batman can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I agree with this, except Superman is absolutely associated with Metropolis as an established hero and Smallville in his formative years. Now Metropolis definitely doesn't have the "character" of Gotham in a lot of interpretations, a "Metropolis Central" book wouldn't be as successful as Gotham Central was, but "Metropolis" is associated with "Superman" as much as Batman is associated with Gotham.

But yes, Batman has side kicks that have changed over the years. Superman has a supporting cast that changes depending on the setting, but Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen have the recognition or status of a Robin. (moreso actually, mass media frequently leaves Robin out of adaptations, but Lois is a constant with even Smallville bringing her in early). And both Lois and Jimmy could support their own books probably at the level of a Supergirl or Robin individual title.
    I think a Metropolis Central book would be great. Metropolis has struggled with writers flanderizing it into a perfect utopia which is why I’m enjoying Bendis’ approach of building up Metropolis. Ideally the city should have a more sci-fi cyberpunk feel to it compared to Gotham’s noir.

Astonishing Member

Because Robin was created in 1940 a year after Batman was created, was designed to be Bruce's partner, lived in home with Bruce and Alfred, and effectively acted as a younger sibling/son to Batman.

Supergirl was created in the 60's, was treated more like a potential replacement for Superman if he died, and lived away from Superman with another family.

Besides it's probably hard enough creating threats for Superman while also accounting for power creep.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I think at their core, the IP's are just built differently. Superman is the Last Son of Krypton. It's in his title that he's alone/unique, so having a bunch of Supers running around already runs counter to what Superman is selling. He's a loner, he was built to be one, and thus far no writer has succeeded in changing it and no legacy character (like Kara) has achieved the kind of permanence and importance to warrant much of an extended family.

Batman on the other hand, had Robin from almost day 1 (given the length of history), and has been built with that "mentor/father" element in mind ever since. Even when Batman is a grumpy old bastard who pushes everyone away and works alone, it's just a writer subverting the expectation of having "Batman AND....."

I also think it might be grades of deviation. Superman's legacies all look really derivative. Same logo, same color scheme, they all have "Super-" in their names. It's easy to see how these characters could be viewed as just spinning on the idea of Superman, and not as characters in their own right. Batman's legacies and sidekicks at least have different names, color schemes, logos.....they feel more unique and original. The irony that most of Clark's legacies don't spend time with him, while the Batcave is always full of children, is going to be lost on most people.

Superman's brand probably couldn't support the amount of legacies that Batman can anyway. At least not anymore. But hell, who can? Not even Spidey can swing as many books and legacies as Batman.

But who knows? It does feel like the winds might be starting the change. Supergirl's show has been a huge boost for her, and Jon has built a solid fanbase surprisingly quickly. We'll see if Young Justice (both of them) can get Conner back on the map. We might be starting to enter a place where a larger Super family makes more sense.

Yknow what doesn't make sense though? Diana not having a larger family of sidekicks and legacies. It makes sense for Bruce to surround himself with a self-made family and for Clark to push his away. But Diana not having more heroes flock to her banner makes zero sense at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Diana’s extended family is a mess because of all the damn reboots. We Superfans might complain about how often Supes Origin gets retold, but Diana gets radically changed with every writer and that trickles down to her supporting cast. Steve Trevor was an old man for all of Post-Crisis. Donna is a LEGENDARILY messed up character. We just got Cassie back.

At least Kon and Kara have been pretty consistent in their origins even if their personalities can shift from writer to writer.

Kon93

SBs origin,personality,powers,and look was anything but consistent,BUT I'm pretty sure all 3(Reign,YJ tv,YJ comic)will all be cadmus clones made by lex and being a hybrid with kryptonian powers(and 2 out of 3 better have TTK),so he is becoming more consistent