Default Sometimes I think I don't have the memory to be a comic book fan

I'm often floored at the memory some of the posters on these boards about back issues and comics history. Posters can reference single issue #'s from the past, recall the create team's timeline by issue or year (yeah so-and-so started drawing the series in 19xx after so-and-so left the book with issue xx).

I'm so impressed that it makes me think my memory isn't cut out to be a hard core comics fan. Hell, I had to go back and re-read some issues from 2016 because I completely forgot how the story arc ended.

I'm in awe of some of you, and frankly jealous.
    Last edited by tib2d2; 12-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I'm often floored at the memory some of the posters on these boards about back issues and comics history. Posters can reference single issue #'s from the past, recall the create team's timeline by issue or year (yeah so-and-so started drawing the series in 19xx after so-and-so left the book with issue xx).

I'm so impressed that it makes me think my memory isn't cut out to be a hard core comics fan. Hell, I had to go back and re-read some issues from 2016 because I completely forgot how the story arc ended.

I'm in awe of some of you, and frankly jealous.
    We've got some great comic sages on this forum to be sure. We've also got some folks with Mad Google Talent. Even speed of reply is not a reliable way to tell the two apart

Retired

I surprise myself that I can remember so many issue numbers and cover dates, without really having to think too hard. Not for recent comics--just for comics long ago. But it's pretty sad that I have so much brain power for this trivial stuff, but I can't find my other sock! Argh! Yle!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm good at era's and remember the history of my favorite books but I could never remember exact issue numbers. So you are not alone on that one. I'm convinced those people are androids or Vulcans.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I'm so impressed that it makes me think my memory isn't cut out to be a hard core comics fan.
    I guess you'll just have to stick to reading and enjoying them, instead.

I have a decent memory. I can remember few but most of the time, I forget things
    I'm the moonshield

I have a very good memory of my formative comic reading years. At one time i could tell you not only the story, but the artist and writer as well from most Marvel Silver and early Bronze Age titles. I still retain some of that memory, but not nearly what i had,
    Comics the last few decades blur together for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If only I could monetize my useless super-power.