Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

It's hard to track down concrete reasons for 5YL's existence. Especially when many interviews with Levitz, Giffen and the Bierbaums are lost in time in print magazines.

But, from what I've come to suspect, it appears to have been an evolved decision to distance itself a bit from the Levitz run after he stepped down while more thoroughly erasing all Superman and Supergirl references to 'fix' the franchise once and for all.
    And then the dystopia setting was added in part because of Watchmen's popularity at the time.

Here's a couple interesting articles I found:

https://notthebeastmaster.typepad.co...ive_the_l.html
    http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blo...fens-five.html

And a reflection on the first issue, by Tom Bierbaum-
    https://itsokimasenator.livejournal.com/910.html
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I've never read it. I've always been a fan of the idea of the Legion, but good stories aren't always the most readily available for someone like me who wants to just pick up a trade. So this will definitely be on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's hard to track down concrete reasons for 5YL's existence. Especially when many interviews with Levitz, Giffen and the Bierbaums are lost in time in print magazines.

But, from what I've come to suspect, it appears to have been an evolved decision to distance itself a bit from the Levitz run after he stepped down while more thoroughly erasing all Superman and Supergirl references to 'fix' the franchise once and for all.
    And then the dystopia setting was added in part because of Watchmen's popularity at the time.
    Simply going from memory, I seem to recall an interview where Giffen said he created the gap so that he didn't have to live up to what Levitz had done by trying to emulate him or follow him directly. And then editorial stepped in with the whole "remove Superboy from the Legion's history" mandate since post-Crisis Superman had never been Superboy.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Simply going from memory, I seem to recall an interview where Giffen said he created the gap so that he didn't have to live up to what Levitz had done by trying to emulate him or follow him directly. And then editorial stepped in with the whole "remove Superboy from the Legion's history" mandate since post-Crisis Superman had never been Superboy.
    That interview rings a bell for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    That interview rings a bell for me as well.
    Try Amazing Heroes #172.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

What was interesting is even the covers made this run not feel like a normal DC book at the time. They were all pretty dark and told you "this is not the same old Legion".

Extraordinary Member

I also think he might have said that he wanted to leave Levitz's work intact so advancing his stories 5 years into the future sort of distanced his work from Levitz's. Sorry if I somehow simply restated what you were saying, I just seem to remember it a little differently.

Sad to see this canceled. From what I understand DC is also canceling and rescheduling some trades for later in the year, perhaps there's hope...?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Sad to see this canceled. From what I understand DC is also canceling and rescheduling some trades for later in the year, perhaps there's hope...?
    Is it cancelled? Amazon still has it listed and I have not gotten an e-mail saying my pre-order is cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Is it cancelled? Amazon still has it listed and I have not gotten an e-mail saying my pre-order is cancelled.
    I still have it listed, also (but it's a HC. I don't know if someone mentioned this shift in this thread). However, Justice League Zero Hour seems to have been canceled (which is a shame, for I was really looking foward to it. Seemed like a fun TPB).

Peace

I plucked this from the DC Hardcovers thread on the Collections forum.

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=1401291953&page=1

Amazon (it seems, at least for me) is often pretty late in updating cancellations.

Extraordinary Member

I hate they cancelled it. Sorry I got so many people's hopes up with this thread.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I hate they cancelled it. Sorry I got so many people's hopes up with this thread.
    No worries, DC should be the ones apologizing.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES