Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Legion of Super Heroes - 5-Year Gap by Giffen coming to Trade Paperback

For those who loved it, it's finally going to happen. Legion artist Keith Giffen with the team of Tom and Mary Bierbaum and Al Gordon brought the Legionnaires into adulthood with a 5-year jump into a darker future and with more mature storylines.

The first hardcover trade includes issues #1-12 plus Annual #1. Bad news is that this isn't for sale until July. But hey, you've waited this long.

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super-...VP36CN574MC4BQ

Fantastic Member

Cannot be happier about this news.
    I hope people will eat it up and we will get at least first 50 issues collected.
    Legion 5YL is one of the modern peaks of superhero comics. Its unique storytelling techniques are still influencing today's writers (Tom King and Al Ewing come to mind).

DC also have to complete Legionnaries and DnA Legion runs!

Huge fan of 5YL. Hopefully some new fans will discover the series but in my opinion its best enjoyed and shines its brightest if you're very familiar with the Legion's history in the pre-Crisis DCU, Superboy and all.

And Giffen was an absolute beast on the art here. His Legion work really made me appreciate the weird uniqueness of his style.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Heh...
    "5 year gap" made me think it was new material covering the time between Magic Wars and 5YL.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    I hope people will eat it up and we will get at least first 50 issues collected.
    Or at least through Giffen's run with #38.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am very happy that it is finally getting collected. Long overdue. I agree in the wish that if nothing else they at least collect all the Giffen issues.

I loved the Giffen/Bierbaum run. One of my favourite runs of all time.

Five Years Later was the kind of change I think the Legion needs now. A change is style, attitude and storytelling was, and still is, a gamble, but this collection may very well provide DC with incentive and data to truly bring the legion into the 21st century (so to speak, or should i say 31st?).

Extraordinary Member

My favorite issue of that period - the alternate timeline. But I can't imagine how confused a new reader might be by it all.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    My favorite issue of that period - the alternate timeline. But I can't imagine how confused a new reader might be by it all.

The confusion was part of the fun - I remember scouring my old Legion comics to try and work out just who was who. I hadn't been able to collect the Legion regularly since around issue #300, but after reading a friend's issues 1-4, I decided I had to pick up the series regularly again, and #5 was the first issue I bought. It's one of my favourite single issues, and it works pretty much as a stand-alone. After I'd read it a few times I made sure to pick up issues 1-4 from the back-issue section of the comic shop.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The confusion was part of the fun - I remember scouring my old Legion comics to try and work out just who was who. I hadn't been able to collect the Legion regularly since around issue #300, but after reading a friend's issues 1-4, I decided I had to pick up the series regularly again, and #5 was the first issue I bought. It's one of my favourite single issues, and it works pretty much as a stand-alone. After I'd read it a few times I made sure to pick up issues 1-4 from the back-issue section of the comic shop.
    What makes it even more confusing is that it coincided what was happening with The Durlan and Phantom Girl/Phase over in L.E.G.I.O.N '89. I also remember reading in the letter columns that some readers were confusing Glorith with Dream Girl. But it was a fascinating issue.

Astonishing Member

I prefer my Legion brightly colored but I must admit the 5yL Legion was some of the densest, in a good way books I ever enjoyed. Soooo much information, so much world 'rebuilding'. The storytelling was magnificent I just didn't care for the story itself, too dark too gritty and gloomy as opposed to the brightly colored Legion I know and love. I was happy when Batch SW6 showed up whether they were the clones or the real deal. Giffen in the Bierbaum's backed each issue, sort of like how a 'series' of Luther (BBCA) can only be 4 episodes but can tell as much story as 22 episodes of a US crime show, no filler.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have said it before but to me the 5YL... Legion is Vertigo before Vertigo existed. If Vertigo had been a thing when this run came out it would have fit in perfect.

Incredible Member

What great news!
    The 5 Year Gap is one of my favorite runs in any comic, ever.
    Giffen was brilliant, but I also enjoyed the Birmbaum’s contributions, such as the reinvented and clever Tenzil Kem.
    Last edited by bearman; 12-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Strange that the amazon description has it all wrong. They reference Zero Hour, which occurred in 1994 and had nothing to do with this book, which began in 1989 and basically ended with Zero Hour when the timeline was wiped out.