Astonishing Member

Default Is the DC streaming service worth getting?

Is the DC streaming service worth getting? It seems to me, I would rather just have a DC section in the larger upcoming WB streaming service, rather than making people for the DC stuff separate from other WB content.

https://lrmonline.com/news/the-dc-un...breaking-geek/

It is for me.

I'd wait a year as more of the original content would be available and you could make a better judgement.

I'd like to know as well.
    Ooh wait I don't live in the US so I can't subscribe anyways.

It definitely is for me. I love Titans and wouldn’t want to wait to see it though.i do wish they’d dropped the whole season at once. For readers that haven’t already read almost all DC comics, there’s a good selection but few long runs. I think it’s a great sampler to let you know which stories you may want to read more of. DC Daily should be much better than it is and I wish they’d feature creators in place of the long and not so interesting “Talk” segment in which they discuss their feelings about various things that they’re promoting on the site.

I think that improving DC Daily, mostly by actually breaking news (which they never do) before it breaks in other media and by featuring a lot more creator interviews would make the service twice as good as it is now.

Obviously it will be far more worthwhile when they have more of their original programming on the site. There should just be more exclusives than an episode of Titans once a week for 11 weeks.

I’m a DC nut/lifer so I spend a lot of time rewatching things I haven’t watched in a while or using DC University—basically a series of listicle videos that are better done elsewhere—to turn off my bran.

$75/year feels like a bargain for what they have up already but it could be (and will be) much more worthwhile when there’s more content that one can’t easily find elsewhere.

Retired

If it was available in Canada, I would get it. Mainly for the comics, as I can get the TV shows through other channels--but the comics services seem like they'd be handy to have.

Hopefully one day this will be something I can sign up for.

Not really...No authorized Kindle App, no Fire TV app. Clunky interface, clunky reader, only thing really good about it is Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Not really...No authorized Kindle App, no Fire TV app. Clunky interface, clunky reader, only thing really good about it is Titans.
    I actually like the reader, on my big screen TV at least. As for apps, getting a $30 Roku stick made it possible for me to enjoy DCU on TV. Before that I was already able to get it on my laptop and iPhone. But you're right. If they want a bigger audience they need to make it much easier for people to access.

I do agree the only thing that's really worthwhile there right now is Titans.

Comics
    I was miffed yesterday by the fact that I finally found something I wanted to read that I hadn't read already and it was a story that was promoted on the home page as one of several "secret origin" stories... Power Girl in JSA Classified #1-3. The problem was it was a 4 part story. I read the first three believing any "origin story" which they were promoting would at least include the full arc. Nope. #3 ended on a cliffhanger and I had to go to comixology and pay another $1.99 to finish the story.

I was too kind in my prior assessment of their comic selection. I think a new reader would find a lot to like there but they'd only get a taste before having to go buy the rest of the arc elsewhere with virtually every comic that's on the site.

There's a promoted section for "superhero team-up" comics there now and one of the ones they're promoting is Flashpoint. They give you issue #1 then it's on you to locate and purchase the rest of the story elsewhere. It reminds me of the trope of drug dealers giving a new user their first hit for free. It makes me feel like I purchased an exclusive service for DC fans and wound up paying $75 for a service that's essentially an advertisement for other services.

The missed opportunity of DC Daily
    I'll repeat this because I have the chance to be reminded of it every weekday:

If DC Daily alone was what it could and should be, the service would be worth twice as much to me as a fan. Give me creators. Show me news that isn't essentially a solicit (which I read two months prior) or a sales pitch to spend more money in their sorely lacking merch section. DC breaks news every single day, but it NEVER breaks news on its 'exclusive' news show. It wouldn't harm their P.R. at all to give the scoop to DCU subscribers and then release to the usual comic book news sites.

There are so many things they could be doing to improve their service and they're really not doing any of them.

That said, the last two eps of Titans have been exquisite. Pretty remarkable after a dodgy start. I'm loving this show now. Still, it's not enough to justify $75/year for 11 episodes of 40 minutes or so a piece.

For me it is, but that’s largely because there’s a lot of old content on it that I haven’t watched. Besides Titans I’m enjoying the hell out of binging through the DCAU for the first time (I spent my childhood watching spongebob and fairy odd parents so I missed these gems). And I’m also enjoying the cheesy live action 90s Flash and Superman shows, those were before my time. So I’m getting my money’s worth. But if you’re already seen everything on there, i don’t know if it’s worth getting just for Titans. Titans is pretty damn good show, way better than the awful trailers. But not worth paying for a year long subscription. Maybe wait until there’s more original content.

I've been enjoying it since beta and its greatly improved since the beta. Especially the shows interface, that was awful, certain shows wouldn't play, and sometimes Closed Caption was stuck on and you couldn't turn it off. Sometimes comics would load, but freeze up. The app constantly crashed.. now its all smooth and sometimes crashes on my apple tv.