Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Dr. Doom

Mighty Member

Default If Dr. Doom

had been turned into a baby instead of Magneto, would he have ever regained respect (after being restored)?

Well, he got deposed by little Kristoff, who is kinda just a baby with longer legs and better learnin' brain function. So I guess that's kinda worse. Cuz, at least if you're a baby your little brain can kinda work and you can still fight the Fantastafour. But if you're beat by a baby, that's pretty sad. How can you beat Mister Cool if you can't beat a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    had been turned into a baby instead of Magneto, would he have ever regained respect (after being restored)?
    He regained respect after being reduced to a psychological wreck by his own reflection, and he regained his fans after skinning his girlfriend. So I think he's like Trump: he has a super-loyal base who will stick by him no matter what.

Extraordinary Member

I think the issue with Doom is thay different writers have such a different take on him that you sort of just have to work with your own interpretation and hope it works.

iMan 42s

You say that like there isn't two appreciation threads and Marvel didn't make him Iron man for two years.

Edit- Do you mean in-universe like the denizens of the Marvel universe respecting him following him getting changed back?

Also Magneto was reverted to a baby? What?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    You say that like there isn't two appreciation threads and Marvel didn't make him Iron man for two years.

Edit- Do you mean in-universe like the denizens of the Marvel universe respecting him following him getting changed back?

Also Magneto was reverted to a baby? What?
    Magneto turned into a goo-goo ga ga toddler in the early 70's in Defenders (?) and it's the accidental reason the Holocaust survivor is still an extremely fit and young adult in 2018.

If Doom was reverted to a baby and was then later restored, would his face still be disfigured or would it be made whole and uninjured again?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Well, he got deposed by little Kristoff, who is kinda just a baby with longer legs and better learnin' brain function. So I guess that's kinda worse. Cuz, at least if you're a baby your little brain can kinda work and you can still fight the Fantastafour. But if you're beat by a baby, that's pretty sad. How can you beat Mister Cool if you can't beat a baby?
    Not exactly accurate. After Doom was considered to be dead after he got caught in the middle of a cosmic blast while the Silver Surfer and Terrax were fighting in the middle of NYC, the Doombots that were left to mind the castle became concerned. They usually are programmed to recognize Doom as their master and revert to being subservient. But after he was gone for a while, they decided to take Kristoff and subject him to the Remembrancer to instill Doom's brain patterns, memories. So he was a small replica of Doom until he was cured from thinking he actually was Doom when Doom returned to power in Latveria in Fantastic Four #350.
    Kristoff never deposed Doom. He fought off some attempts to regain the throne but it was likely those were some errant Doombot (again, see Simonson's Fantastic Four #350) I tend to ignore Tom deFalco's attempt to retcon that in a back up story in Fantastic Four #358.

Some of Victor's IQ apparently got embedded in Kristoff since he was able to work on some complex problems when he was sort of living at Four Freedoms Plaza. Also a bit of his guardian/father's temperment.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    He regained respect after being reduced to a psychological wreck by his own reflection, and he regained his fans after skinning his girlfriend. So I think he's like Trump: he has a super-loyal base who will stick by him no matter what.
    There's probably some segment of the fandom that thought so I imagine, but a lot of those who I encounter here on the appreciation thread think Waid went too far. I tend to call it the Lectorization of Doom by Waid. If you recall in the book and the movie Silence of the Lambs Hannibal Lector was an extremely intelligent man that indulged in this primitive penchant for cannibalism. The other murderer that was corresponding with him was Buffalo Bill, who skinned his female victims and was making a dress out of them. IMO Waid sort of tacked this on Doom. I don't think it was exactly embraced by other writers since I can't recall if this has ever come up since.

As for Doom being like Trump....let's not get too insulting here Trump has the IQ of turnip. Being a fictional creation, traits get added or subtracted many times over his 60 plus year history. see below

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think the issue with Doom is thay different writers have such a different take on him that you sort of just have to work with your own interpretation and hope it works.
    For now, HIckman's take seems to be what most writers are following up on, even Bendis to a great extent. It's one of the few times I think Bendis has done something that I can appreciate. It wasn't perfect but IMO there had to be some character progression after SW or it would have betrayed what Hickman had built up to for his finale to SW.

Mighty Member

Hasn't the Marvel Universe been restarted? That means Waid's version never really happened, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There's probably some segment of the fandom that thought so I imagine, but a lot of those who I encounter here on the appreciation thread think Waid went too far. I tend to call it the Lectorization of Doom by Waid. If you recall in the book and the movie Silence of the Lambs Hannibal Lector was an extremely intelligent man that indulged in this primitive penchant for cannibalism. The other murderer that was corresponding with him was Buffalo Bill, who skinned his female victims and was making a dress out of them. IMO Waid sort of tacked this on Doom. I don't think it was exactly embraced by other writers since I can't recall if this has ever come up since.

As for Doom being like Trump....let's not get too insulting here Trump has the IQ of turnip. Being a fictional creation, traits get added or subtracted many times over his 60 plus year history. see below

For now, HIckman's take seems to be what most writers are following up on, even Bendis to a great extent. It's one of the few times I think Bendis has done something that I can appreciate. It wasn't perfect but IMO there had to be some character progression after SW or it would have betrayed what Hickman had built up to for his finale to SW.
    Actually our President is pretty intelligent just for the record, I mean you don't build a global empire and out maneuver 16 other politicians, beat someone who thought they were entitled to the White House, and then become President with a "turnip brain"...so maybe he has some of Doom's traits, but I welcome that...but that is my only political response....

Hasn't the Marvel Universe been restarted? That means Waid's version never really happened, right?
    I'd like to think so I don't really know for sure. What Doom and the Molecule Man had put together were remnants of the universes that survived the last incursion. Now Reed has been supervising Franklin and the Molecule Man as they recreated things. So IMO it would be valid to see those events happened in the old universe. What is tricky is what each individual remembers.

We know that Reed had altered Victor's memories so that he believed Reed was dead. But then he still remembered enough about Battleworld to tell his baby mama Amara about the time he spent there ruling what was left of the multiverses. I'd say he still remembers his past life since we had flashbacks to his childhood in Infamous Iron Man.

I've never respected him. and he'd be one hideous infant.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Definitely messin' his diapers all the time and expecting to be changed immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Such an hideous orphan gypsy child !

(You have no heart...)

(I know, you think he's Damien the antechrist... I know... )

BTW Reed respects him. That's enough for me. (I should add that I never read Civil War. Lol)
    Last edited by Abe; 12-06-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !