Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Martian Manhunter #1 (very mild spoilers)

So what did people think of this? To me, it smacked of Donna Troy syndrome: let's give an established superhero a completely different backstory, which changes his tone, his personality, his place of origin... (And J'onn's had a bunch of those already.) It feels like it's out of continuity, but I'm not even sure what that means these days.

It also had an unexpected level of what some people might consider "adult content." "...I hope you're penetrated by H'Ronmeer's Holy Hot Fist!" Maybe that's a pious religious reference among Martians, but it's not what it sounds like.

It's hard for me not to react to this issue by saying, "Why do this to J'onn J'onzz, specifically?" Maybe I would have liked it more if it were about some new character, not part of the DCU.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I'm the most interested in MM solo than I have been in a long time.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Always Rakzo

At least Donna still has basically the same personality as before despite of her change of background.

This though? This is something else. I wasn't a fan of Williams' Martian Manhunter because it was mostly a bunch of ideas thrown together and created a conclusion that wanted to be both surprising and smart but only managed to be unsatisfying (Seriously, nobody did anything with J'onn's supposed "insanity") but even then, at least Williams knew to keep J'onn's past and personality intact for the most part.

Orlando on the other hand, basically tells the audience "f*ck everything you know and love about Martian Manhunter!" and turns J'onn into a corrupt cop who worked under a fascist government and bullied people into giving them money. I could, could even tolerate the heavyhanded political message if only the character remained the same but no, J'onn is no longer the kind, compassionate and relatable hero from the past, now he is just an *******. This is pretty much the kind of "edgy" reinvention that you would see in the 90s or early 2000s that is doing its best to make the hero look "cool" by giving them a darker past without much rhyme or reason.

Rossmo's art is great at depicting alien creatures but not so good with humans. Overall, I fear for this book.

Really, I'm starting to think that Orlando is just some sort of one hit wonder. Nothing he has done since his brilliant Midnighter series has been even half as good.

Kon93

I like that he is a cop,I like how they do flashbacks,i like that he has more of a real feel to him,BUT not the way he is portrayed here at all.

If a writer that didn't want to "go crazy"would use the cop,flashbacks,real feel,ideas and used the jonn we all love,this would be a win for me.

I will get issue 2 for sure,but maybe not more after that.

We know jonn is and always has been a good person,family man,and heart of the JL,use that as the basis for who he is and you got a winner.

Incredible Member

I hated this book. Changes to J’onn’s character and backstory just to be edgy and it came off bad. The art is a travesty that would be better off forgotten.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I was at first interested in picking it up, but the more I heard, the less I liked it.
    There was no need to try and reboot J'onn.
    If it was more in the same vein as Ostrander and Mandrake's take I would've been all over it.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

I was gonna give this a go

But everything I've heard hear suggests ill hate what has been done to jj

I think of jj as one of the most noble heroes but this sounds terrible

I'll pass and have another look at it in trade if I hear different of future issues

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    This though? This is something else. I wasn't a fan of Williams' Martian Manhunter because it was mostly a bunch of ideas thrown together and created a conclusion that wanted to be both surprising and smart but only managed to be unsatisfying (Seriously, nobody did anything with J'onn's supposed "insanity") but even then, at least Williams knew to keep J'onn's past and personality intact for the most part.
    I think his idea was to kinda tie-in all possible interpretations of MM into one MM.

Anyway, I'm sure that at the end of this story MM will be a good guy that we know, but I'm not sure why do I need to read about that. But really, what gets me is that this story feels rather ordinary, I kinda think that it pushes MM from "mythical" towards "mundane".