Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Kon93

Why does he have to "grow" into the jonn we love,when he was always that jonn before this?

Probably out of continuity like birthright was,UNTIL it started not being out of continuity.

Why do writers have to either have a tragic beginning for their chatacters,or have them be assholes then grow out of it? Mostly when for decades we didn't need this,and they were always good ppl or had a happy life before

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Wait - it's not in continuity and it's the story of how J'onn becomes the kind, compassionate, heart of the JL we know him to be?

Well, that's an odd combination.
    I'm just saying what Orlando has pretty much said in interviews yeah. See for yourself https://www.newsarama.com/42966-mart...do-rossmo.html

https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/...89340669280256
    Last edited by Batknight; 12-06-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Why does he have to "grow" into the jonn we love,when he was always that jonn before this?

Probably out of continuity like birthright was,UNTIL it started not being out of continuity.

Why do writers have to either have a tragic beginning for their chatacters,or have them be assholes then grow out of it? Mostly when for decades we didn't need this,and they were always good ppl or had a happy life before
    Because it's an origin and storytelling is mainly driven by characters going through arcs where they have to grow, change, and evolve while making tough choices. Also, J'onn has had a tragic backstory forever now.
    Last edited by Batknight; 12-06-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    Because it's an origin and storytelling is mainly driven by characters going through arcs where they have to grow, change, and evolve while making tough choices. Also, J'onn has had a tragic backstory forever now.

Tragic because of circumstance,NOT because he is a shitbag

Tragic because of circumstance,NOT because he is a shitbag
    But his circumstances are still tragic, he doesn't cause Mars to blow up here I don't believe. Also, again, this is out of continuity. Getting mad at this is like getting mad at Injustice or Red son for Superman. Creators should be allowed to do unique and different things with characters without us all getting outraged that it's not the way its traditionally been done.
    Last edited by Batknight; 12-06-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Kon93

But his circumstances are still tragic, he doesn't cause Mars to blow up here I don't believe. Also, again, this is out of continuity. Getting mad at this is like getting mad at Injustice or Red son for Superman. Creators should be allowed to do unique and different things with characters without us all getting outraged that it's not the way its traditionally been done.

Can you post where he says it's totally and completely out of continuity? They've been doing these lil MM minis for awhile now,and sure when they are gone they are not important,mostly because jonn just ends up on a team book again where he is used as leader or heart of team.

If it's truly out,then i won't care,I'll just see it as a interpretation that isnt for me and move on.

Can you post where he says it's totally and completely out of continuity? They've been doing these lil MM minis for awhile now,and sure when they are gone they are not important,mostly because jonn just ends up on a team book again where he is used as leader or heart of team.

If it's truly out,then i won't care,I'll just see it as a interpretation that isnt for me and move on.
    Here you go https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/...89340669280256

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I think some should keep in mind that this is a 12 issue title. MM is not going to stay the way he was depicted here. I almost positive the character will grow more into how everyone knows him to be as the story progresses.

(However, I will admit the sex scene was a bit uncalled for. Everything else was fine)

Fans don't like to wait for things to come into fruition anymore. It's all about instant gratification and self-entitlement like a bunch of bratty children. I trust Orlando and love his work quite a bit. He's not a writer that does something for the sake of doing it. This issue seems to be getting a ton of love. So i'm glad that the people here are in the minority. I'll definitely be here for issue #2!!!!!
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Kon93

Does that iyo mean it is like a elseworld type mini series or is it him and his origin,just not pinned down to a certain time,kinda like the Harley and powergirl,and the supersons mini running now is?

It makes a huge difference which one he is saying

This is correct. In interviews Orlando has said this is the story of J'onn becoming the kind, compassionate, heart of the JL we know him to be. He's just going to grow and devolp into that person. Also, this story is not in continuity. On twitter Orlando said this is a stand alone story not connected to main continuity.
    I'm curious why modern comics always seem to want to start somewhere darker and then build up to how the character is supposed to act. Origin or otherwise.

Anyway I enjoyed it, waiting for more issues. I hope the trend of mine-series for smaller characters continues.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Fans don't like to wait for things to come into fruition anymore. It's all about instant gratification and self-entitlement like a bunch of bratty children. I trust Orlando and love his work quite a bit. He's not a writer that does something for the sake of doing it. This issue seems to be getting a ton of love. So i'm glad that the people here are in the minority. I'll definitely be here for issue #2!!!!!
    These are just reactions to the initial story and intro, opinions are just forming. Not everyone is gonna initially love a story right out of the gate, especially when it's a reinterpretation on past material that is very different than what came before.

The Thing is a perfect example of this, the main difference here is you got the full story in one a go and this will be spread across months. That was a reinterpretation of a popular movie and short story, that initial wasn't loved. But now it's considered a horror classic. Opinions change like the wind, the discussion is what's important on a thread like this because we don't know anything else about the story than what's given. Stop acting like everyone's reactions/readings/interpretations are lesser than your own and that you are somehow better because you like something.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why some people have to throw mean insults at readers whose opinions they don't agree with.

I've been reading J'onn J'onzz stories since the late 1950's, so it's not like I've haven't given the character and his stories some time. As it happens, I am willing to give things quite some time to come to fruition - but, all other things being equal, I like them to then pick up from where they left off. Why not, just for example, have something new happen in J'onn's life, and then spend twelve issues having that come to fruition?

Instead of a new origin story. J'onn J'onzz has had a ton of new origin stories, both soft and hard reboots, and I don't really think that serves the character well.

In a way, TPTB are trying to have their cake and eat it. On the one hand, they're making this a "J'onn J'onzz story" so that people who already like and have an interest in the character - based on years of reading - will buy it. On the other hand, they're telling us that everything we know about the character really doesn't mean anything anymore. Not everybody buys into that kind of bait and switch, especially if it happens too often.

The fact that it's out of continuity makes a bit of difference there, but, sorry, it doesn't say so on the cover or in the issue, and I don't think I should have to follow the author's tweets in order to set my expectations for the story. Most people who are interested in serial fiction approach an in-continuity story different from an out-of-continuity story. And frankly, I'm less interested in the concept of an out-of-continuity story whose purported purpose is to explain "why J'onn is the person he is today" - in continuity.

You're making a lot of assumptions about the reasons people have for disliking this issue. And then using those assumptions to call them names like "bratty children." And, I guess if that's what you enjoy doing, why not?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Yeah, it has nothing to do with instant gratification. I can wait 14 months easily if story is "new" like I did with Mister Miracle and I enjoyed the ride. This on the other hand has the premise that after 12 issues J'onn will be like he is now, thats not "new", thats spinning your wheels.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why some people have to throw mean insults at readers whose opinions they don't agree with.

I've been reading J'onn J'onzz stories since the late 1950's, so it's not like I've haven't given the character and his stories some time. As it happens, I am willing to give things quite some time to come to fruition - but, all other things being equal, I like them to then pick up from where they left off. Why not, just for example, have something new happen in J'onn's life, and then spend twelve issues having that come to fruition?

Instead of a new origin story. J'onn J'onzz has had a ton of new origin stories, both soft and hard reboots, and I don't really think that serves the character well.

In a way, TPTB are trying to have their cake and eat it. On the one hand, they're making this a "J'onn J'onzz story" so that people who already like and have an interest in the character - based on years of reading - will buy it. On the other hand, they're telling us that everything we know about the character really doesn't mean anything anymore. Not everybody buys into that kind of bait and switch, especially if it happens too often.

The fact that it's out of continuity makes a bit of difference there, but, sorry, it doesn't say so on the cover or in the issue, and I don't think I should have to follow the author's tweets in order to set my expectations for the story. Most people who are interested in serial fiction approach an in-continuity story different from an out-of-continuity story. And frankly, I'm less interested in the concept of an out-of-continuity story whose purported purpose is to explain "why J'onn is the person he is today" - in continuity.

You're making a lot of assumptions about the reasons people have for disliking this issue. And then using those assumptions to call them names like "bratty children." And, I guess if that's what you enjoy doing, why not?

Disagreeing with your 'mean insults' thing. If you're offended, then i'm sorry...I guess. But when people act as if this is the worst thing ever with only one issue out, then that's weird to me. What exactly were people expecting from this? In my opinion, a lot of these comments came off as self-entitlement to me Yeah, origin stories are done to death especially when it comes to J'onn. But i think there are always multiple ways to tell the same story. Which is what i think Orlando IS doing. To me, he is introducing new angles to the character's origin and that's fine. I'm all about stories that take us through the journey instead of dropping us off at the middle. I always wanted to see different dimensions and layers when it comes to J'onn's backstory and the culture on Mars. And it seems like i'll be getting just that. But i can't sit here and act like i know the whole story with one issue.
    Last edited by Raijin; 12-07-2018 at 03:19 AM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm curious why modern comics always seem to want to start somewhere darker and then build up to how the character is supposed to act. Origin or otherwise.

Anyway I enjoyed it, waiting for more issues. I hope the trend of mine-series for smaller characters continues.
    As I've previously alluded to, I think it has to do with giving a place a character can grow from. By giving a character more flaws and mistakes they can make by making them 'darker', it gives them more room to grow and devolp as characters. Which, in turn, gives them more layers and depth than just starting them out as they already are. Somestimes, that can be done really well, other times it's not.