Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think that is the thing I disliked the most of the Nu52. Barbara was always way more interesting a character as Oracle than she ever was as Batgirl.
    Really? Killing Joke always bothered me because it seemed so vindictive and pointless. I think Moore was going through a divorce at that time, I believe, and the editor was also going through some sort of relationship issue and it came across as taking their anger at their significant other on her. A healthy compromise I came up with would be that she wears a device that let's her use her legs again but it needs to charged every ten hours or so. So she still has to spend half her day in wheelchair.
    Assassinate Putin!

I really liked Tony Daniels and Charles Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman. They sold me on them as couple. It kind of went downhill during the Doomsday virus though. I also enjoyed the initial run of The Flash if only because I thought it had a lot of potential. Alas, that potential was never quite met. Batman and Aquaman were also pretty consistently good and I even liked Azzarello's Wonder Woman (Hot take I know.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Fair enough on some of the other stuff, but Orm was not eager to invade the surface world, he lead his army (who as a whole do not care for surface dwellers at all) in retaliation for a perceived attach on Atlantis from the surface. Using plans he and Arthur created together. He may not be a reluctant ruler, but he has a better sense of duty towards his people and is frustrated that his brother isn't joining him. New 52 Orm and pre-Flashpoint Orm are not the same character, and the changes (along with the arc as a whole) were very well received compared to the generic, fairly one note "evil brother battling for the throne" character he was before. Johns maybe could have done his revamp of Orm in the old continuity, but it would have to have involved some heavy retcons.
    Yes he was. I just reread the issues myself and its quite obvious that he held very deep seated prejudices towards surface dwellers and looked at invading them as a just act. He's not really some conflicted character. He was very much a villainous actor who was using the attack as a pretext to act on his hatreds.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yes he was. I just reread the issues myself and its quite obvious that he held very deep seated prejudices towards surface dwellers and looked at invading them as a just act. He's not really some conflicted character. He was very much a villainous actor who was using the attack as a pretext to act on his hatreds.
    The majority of Atlantis has deep seated prejudices against the surface, and the surface just committed acts of war against them. He's not conflicted because he has conviction that he needs to retaliate and come to the defense of his people. That makes him capable of ruthless, monstrous acts and he is by no means a completely good or stable person, but what little I know of pre-Flashpoint Orm (and having seen adaptations of him in JLU and YJ) doesn't lead me to believe he would willingly abdicate the throne after being defeated. Or have any genuine love for his half brother. Or really have the best interests of his people at heart, or dislike being labeled "Ocean Master" like New 52 Orm does.

He's not conflicted in his actions to defend his nation against threats (both real and perceived), but he's certainly not a simple black/white character anymore.

I just didn't like the Throne of Atlantis movie where they chickened out on showing....anything that was important.

Having Orm attack without having Atlantis being attacked first....screw that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The majority of Atlantis has deep seated prejudices against the surface, and the surface just committed acts of war against them. He's not conflicted because he has conviction that he needs to retaliate and come to the defense of his people. That makes him capable of ruthless, monstrous acts and he is by no means a completely good or stable person, but what little I know of pre-Flashpoint Orm (and having seen adaptations of him in JLU and YJ) doesn't lead me to believe he would willingly abdicate the throne after being defeated. Or have any genuine love for his half brother. Or really have the best interests of his people at heart, or dislike being labeled "Ocean Master" like New 52 Orm does.
    He's not conflicted because his motivations are pretty simple. That's not a knock. Its just an observation. At least Pre-Crisis, there was an element of years of built up resentment that explain why he's so antagonistic to Arthur.

He's not conflicted in his actions to defend his nation against threats (both real and perceived), but he's certainly not a simple black/white character anymore.
    Well, who's to say he was one before Flashpoint? That's the point. The New 52 wasn't needed to make Orm an interesting or multifaceted character. You ever read Peter David's Aquaman? Yeah, he was an interesting character there. He's basically always been the Loki to Aquaman's Thor, especially Pre-Crisis.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-10-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I just didn't like the Throne of Atlantis movie where they chickened out on showing....anything that was important.

Having Orm attack without having Atlantis being attacked first....screw that.
    Didn't they show child murder in that movie?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Charles Soules run on Swamp Thing...