Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison on Action Comics and the end of Batman Inc.
    Johns on Aquaman, Shazam and the end of his GL.
    Grayson
    Midnighter
    Dial H
    Demon Knights
    And I have a STRONG love/hate thing going on with Azzarello's Wonder Woman

Wow, I'm so happy to see all these New 52 arcs/runs that make your list of all time favorites! Sometimes these boards are really cynical and you get the impression every DC reader hated everything about the New 52.

A lot of stuff makes it into my "top 10 favorite runs of this title/character" from the New52.

Morrison's Action. At the very least the first arc.

Johns' Aquaman.

Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

Dial H.

Soule's Red Lanterns.

Milligan's Justice League Dark.

King & Seely's Grayson.

Black Canary by....whoever it was, if we can count DCYOU stuff.

Burnside Batgirl.

Lemire's Animal Man.

Much of Snyder's Swamp Thing and all of Soule's run that followed.

Probably a few others I forgot about. For all the mistakes and screw ups and terrible books, the New52 still had plenty of quality.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Wow, I'm so happy to see all these New 52 arcs/runs that make your list of all time favorites! Sometimes these boards are really cynical and you get the impression every DC reader hated everything about the New 52.
    The vast majority of its controversial nature is just the reboot element. How so much history was erased (for the most part it didn't bother me, but that's me). There was quite a bit of quality though just in terms of stories told.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Probably a few others I forgot about. For all the mistakes and screw ups and terrible books, the New52 still had plenty of quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The vast majority of its controversial nature is just the reboot element. How so much history was erased (for the most part it didn't bother me, but that's me). There was quite a bit of quality though just in terms of stories told.
    Yeah, there's plenty of crap and quality stuff in every era. Immediately pre-Flashpoint, I think there were less readable books than what we got during the New 52.

For the loss of history, to me the negative impacts depend on a case by case basis. Misgivings about Billy's attitude in the early parts aside, New 52 Shazam seemed well received. Ditto Aquaman. Because neither of those properties had much in the way of history defining arcs and story progressions, and all the essential story elements and characters were still around.

Superman and Wonder Woman both benefited from a reboot and suffered for it, because it was yet again another overhaul when they've both already had so many, and it was poorly coordinated at that. But on paper, a fresh star and breath of fresh air after being bogged down by bad contradictory continuity and bad stories for so long was beneficial.

The Titans and the JSA were screwed though.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 12-07-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Make no mistake there was some real garbage in the Nu52 also. Stuff like Hawk and Dove, Legion Lost, Teen Titans, and really most of the book involving teen characters. The teenage heroes were the biggest losers of the Nu52. If you were a fan of younger characters then the hate of the Nu52 was competely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Titans and the JSA were screwed though.
    Very true, but that started long before the reboot. And it has continued long after it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Very true, but that started long before the reboot. And it has continued long after it.
    Oh definitely, there are a whole slew of problems for the Titans in particular.

Wiping out their history didn't help the situation at all though. But even bringing it back wouldn't be enough to salvage them either.

Incredible Member

I really liked I, vampire. I was oddly a really big fan of Cains design.

Vibe
    Dial H
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Mighty Member

The New 52 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, honestly. Some of the hate was nothing but exaggeration.

I liked Superboy, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Red Lanterns, Animal Man, Voodoo, RHATO, Vibe. There were a lot of great gems to the point where I have to laugh off anyone who said New 52 was terrible.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Lemire's Green Arrow is life.
    I still much prefer Grell's run.
    Judd Winick did a pretty good job too.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Aquaman
    Green Arrow
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Supergirl
    Shazam
    Nightwing and Grayson
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Batwoman

Action Comics - Morrison run and Greg Pak run.
    Aquaman - John's run.
    Green Arrow - Lemire and Sorrentino's.
    Grayson.

Extraordinary Member

Demon Knights and that Frankenstein book I can't remember the name of.