Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Not much, but....Cullen Bunn’s Sinestro is definitely up there. Such an underrated series.

Incredible Member

John's Aquaman, JL, and his 1 arc on Superman
    Morrison's AC
    Higgin's Nightwing
    Azz's Wonder Woman

i know its a very touchy topic and could be considered a horrible thing to say but New 52 made me the DC fan I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Morrison's AC
    Higgin's Nightwing
    Azz's Wonder Woman

i know its a very touchy topic and could be considered a horrible thing to say but New 52 made me the DC fan I am today.
    Lol don’t let anyone give you crap for getting into comics in an unpopular era.

Yeah, don't let anyone shame you. Once upon a time the 90s was fandom's go-to whipping boy of eras. In the earlier days of the net when I branched out into larger fandom and I heard the things said about it, I felt like it was somewhat taboo that it was the exact era that got me into comics as a kid and that I loved it. But it was silly to ever feel that way. Hell even now I agree with some of the criticisms of that era and my personal ideals have changed. But I'll always love it simply because it was my childhood introduction and it holds a special place in my heart. And any reasonable fan can appreciate the time in which a new reader is introduced to the fandom and what that will always mean to them, regardless of the perceived reputation of said era one way or another.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-07-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Morrison's AC
    Higgin's Nightwing
    Azz's Wonder Woman

New 52 era is when I started reading comics too.

Mighty Member

Morrison's AC
    Higgin's Nightwing
    Azz's Wonder Woman

I've gotten plenty of crap for that and also liking things that everyone else doesn't, especially on theses forums. That's just gatekeeping nonsense. I'm glad they got you into reading.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    The New 52 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, honestly. Some of the hate was nothing but exaggeration.

I liked Superboy, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Red Lanterns, Animal Man, Voodoo, RHATO, Vibe. There were a lot of great gems to the point where I have to laugh off anyone who said New 52 was terrible.

Preach, Anti-Geek! Preach!
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Preach, Anti-Geek! Preach!
    It appears to me that people were so focused on the negatives that they overlooked everything else. While people were angry about Bruce and Selina screwing on a rooftop. I was too busy enjoying Treshold and Animal Man. There are always going to be awful books in EVERY era. (The New 52 was filled with them. Static Shock, Katana, Legion Lost) But people need to stop thinking that bad books is only exclusive to the New 52.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    It appears to me that people were so focused on the negatives that they overlooked everything else. While people were angry about Bruce and Selina screwing on a rooftop. I was too busy enjoying Treshold and Animal Man. There are always going to be awful books in EVERY era. (The New 52 was filled with them. Static Shock, Katana, Legion Lost) But people need to stop thinking that bad books is only exclusive to the New 52.
    No one thinks it's exclusive.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, New52 did do better by Jason Todd than most things after his Under the Red Hood pre-Flashpoint (a few exceptions, but otherwise...). I give it that. And Damian got some much needed character development and building, but it sucks his time as Robin and teaming up with Steph as Batgirl was erased. A lot of fun back and forth between those two.
    His time as Robin wasn't erased that was carried over. His time with Steph might have been erased though.

My picks

Batman and Robin
    Grayson
    Omega men
    Morrison's Action
    Robin Son of Batman
    Batman Inc
    Midnighter

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Oh definitely, there are a whole slew of problems for the Titans in particular.

Wiping out their history didn't help the situation at all though. But even bringing it back wouldn't be enough to salvage them either.
    Huge missed opportunity there.

I do think the success of the Wolfman NTT has become a chain hanging around the necks of the characters and the Titans IP. That Fab5/NTT format just doesn't seem to work anymore, no matter how hard DC tries.

I thought wiping that history out might've been a necessary evil to let the characters finally grow and move into more successful, profitable places. But like many other opportunities, DC squandered the chance by refusing to go all-in.

I want the history back in place because of how it enriches the characters, but I very much don't want the status quo back in place. Titans reunions never work. DC has tried for twenty years and failed. They need to accept that they'll never capture Wolfman's magic again, and move the f*ck on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Huge missed opportunity there.

I do think the success of the Wolfman NTT has become a chain hanging around the necks of the characters and the Titans IP. That Fab5/NTT format just doesn't seem to work anymore, no matter how hard DC tries.

I thought wiping that history out might've been a necessary evil to let the characters finally grow and move into more successful, profitable places. But like many other opportunities, DC squandered the chance by refusing to go all-in.

I want the history back in place because of how it enriches the characters, but I very much don't want the status quo back in place. Titans reunions never work. DC has tried for twenty years and failed. They need to accept that they'll never capture Wolfman's magic again, and move the f*ck on.
    If they wiped the history, I think it would have been best to de-age Dick's crew to being the only generation of young heroes again. I think that's the only way it would work, keeping them the age of adult Titans without being Titans leaves their pasts as blank slates, and it's hard to build a future without a past. If they wanted to do the iconic Titans line up (Fab 5 + NTT), it would seem less rehashed if these younger versions of them were coming together for the first time and possibly going in different directions. Bruce's generation, as long as they have their classic origins, are more rock solid and they always have a place.

Restoring the history without doing a NTT reunion would be ideal for now. If the Titans ever come together again, it would have to be this line up (ideally with some brand new faces, leave the duds in limbo), because that's what people want to see. But don't rush it out just to have it, have a direction in mind with a fresh writing voice. And some new villains would be nice. I wouldn't want to see Deathstroke, Trigon or the Fearsome Five again for at least a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    New 52 can be a touchy subject. But there are so many great things from the New 52 that I love.

Anything from the New 52 make your list of favorites?

Court of Owls arc?

Johns' Aquaman?

Johns' Justice League?
    Nooooooooooo.

The only things that come close are Dick Grayson's book, Hessia in SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN and maybe the expanded use of AQUAMAN

It was like fanfic, especially WW
    Last edited by Stanlos; 12-08-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If they wiped the history, I think it would have been best to de-age Dick's crew to being the only generation of young heroes again.
    I think if DC ever did a "proper" reboot, it would have to set everything back to Day 1, and the former sidekicks would have to be de-aged back into their Robin/Kid Flash/etc roles.

But do we really want that? Do we want to lose Nightwing, Tempest, Arsenal, etc, and all the development and growth they've seen? I certainly have no interest in that, especially for Grayson and Wally, who have come a long damn way from their "golly gee!" days.

Not to mention that would take Tim, Conner, Cassie, Damian, etc., out completely. The entire 90's generation of sidekicks and young heroes wiped out? The price is way too high. We've hated not having the YJ kids around for the last several years, we're not going to take them never existing any better just because Dick's in the short shorts again.

I think that's the only way it would work, keeping them the age of adult Titans without being Titans leaves their pasts as blank slates, and it's hard to build a future without a past.
    Yeah, we saw that in the New52, where DC was trying to say the NTT never happened at all. It didn't fly, and I'm not saying they should try that again. What I'm saying is......

Restoring the history without doing a NTT reunion would be ideal for now.
    This. I want that history in place, but I dont want the characters living there. For example, I want Vic to have been a Titan and I want him to still be best buds with Beast Boy....but I don't want them on the Titans anymore. I want the former Titans getting together for beers, hanging out as life-long friends. I dont want or need them working together as "the Titans" anymore. The reunions suck, they always suck, and they're holding these characters back.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think if DC ever did a "proper" reboot, it would have to set everything back to Day 1, and the former sidekicks would have to be de-aged back into their Robin/Kid Flash/etc roles.

But do we really want that? Do we want to lose Nightwing, Tempest, Arsenal, etc, and all the development and growth they've seen? I certainly have no interest in that, especially for Grayson and Wally, who have come a long damn way from their "golly gee!" days.
    Honesty? It wouldn't be ideal at all, and I'd prefer them with their history intact and with a solid new direction.
    But if given the choice between a clean slate reboot with them back in their sidekick roles and the half assed in-between stuff we got in the New 52 and even Rebirth, I'm going with the reboot. I think bringing the original story to a close and starting fresh would have been a kinder fate for Wally and Dick, especially compared with their current (lack of) directions. They're in a rut and one of the major reasons is that the universe will not progress and age out the JL generation, and they have not one, but two generations coming in behind them. They're redundant to the max, and while it's always possible to come up with a new direction, one has not yet materialized. So, if in an ideal world the entire DCU is getting a clean slate instead of only parts of it, this wouldn't have been that bad. Hell, the benefits for Donna alone outweigh a lot of the negatives, especially if Wonder Woman is getting rebooted at the same time.

Not to mention that would take Tim, Conner, Cassie, Damian, etc., out completely. The entire 90's generation of sidekicks and young heroes wiped out? The price is way too high. We've hated not having the YJ kids around for the last several years, we're not going to take them never existing any better just because Dick's in the short shorts again.
    I mean, as someone who has nothing but apathy for all of those characters except Damian, I'd be fine with it. So it's not too high for me and some other fans, and again if the entire universe is getting rebooted to be younger, it makes no sense to have them around yet anyway. The price may be too high for the majority of fans, but some of the alternatives are having them around but written by Lobdell and wearing eyesore outfits. Bringing the old universe to a respectful close and keeping them in limbo until they can figure out a solid direction to bring them back (kind of like what they're doing now) would be fine. Better no appearances than bad appearances, IMO.

But people want them around, and it'd be stupid for DC to ignore them, so it's best for the company and fanbase as a whole that they're back.

This. I want that history in place, but I dont want the characters living there. For example, I want Vic to have been a Titan and I want him to still be best buds with Beast Boy....but I don't want them on the Titans anymore. I want the former Titans getting together for beers, hanging out as life-long friends. I dont want or need them working together as "the Titans" anymore. The reunions suck, they always suck, and they're holding these characters back.
    Yeah, we're on the same page on this one. I don't think the reunions ALWAYS have to suck, it's just that they are written by average to poor writers. Abnetts and Winicks. Even Grayson seemed solid, but also didn't set the world on fire. Until a big name writer with a direction they have a lot of passion for comes along, best leave it where it is.