Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default Giant Size Magneto #1 Recap and Review, Now With Spoilers!

Giant Size Magneto? That's what she said. Ok, now that that's out of the way ...

At the behest of Emma, Magneto travels to an island with the intent to buy it. Turns out the island is owned by Namor. The two go on a brief deep sea adventure featuring a kraken and sirens. Namor agrees to sell the island to Emma. Magneto builds a structure and plants a gate, then Emma joins him and mentions something about invitations. That's it, that's the whole comic.

The plot is very thin in a way that makes it obvious this was intended to be an artist showcase. It is unfortunate that Oliver was unable to draw the issue, because with some great art the issue might have been somewhat elevated. As it was, Perez' art was competent but hardly worth spotlighting, and the plot was very underwhelming. As for what Emma wants with the island, I imagine it has something to do with the Hellfire Gala that was mentioned way back in Marauders #9.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Giant Size Magneto? That's what she said. Ok, now that that's out of the way ...

At the behest of Emma, Magneto travels to an island with the intent to buy it. Turns out the island is owned by Namor. The two go on a brief deep sea adventure featuring a kraken and sirens. Namor agrees to sell the island to Emma. Magneto builds a structure and plants a gate, then Emma joins him and mentions something about invitations. That's it, that's the whole comic.

The plot is very thin in a way that makes it obvious this was intended to be an artist showcase. It is unfortunate that Oliver was unable to draw the issue, because with some great art the issue might have been somewhat elevated. As it was, Perez' art was competent but hardly worth spotlighting, and the plot was very underwhelming. As for what Emma wants with the island, I imagine it has something to do with the Hellfire Gala that was mentioned way back in Marauders #9.
    I’m pretty sure all these Giant-Sized issues are created specifically for artist showcase.

Let down. It was good to see Namor back but the book didnt do much for me

its was okay, i feel as though this couldve easily been put in marauders especially if this does have to do with the gala emma is planning
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

The Emma/Magneto moments were cute. I liked that Namor acknowledged Emma.

I wonder what the key does.

I really enjoyed this one. Perez's backgrounds were gorgeous. I liked how it implicated Namor and Atlantis . No idea if that key is something I'm supposed to recognize or not loll but I'm interested in seeing here it leads..

These Giant Size issues are really reminding me of the early set-up issues in Hickman's Avengers run. I just hope the pay off isn't a let down like Validator being turned into a creepy supernatural creature for... whatever reason that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    its was okay, i feel as though this couldve easily been put in marauders especially if this does have to do with the gala emma is planning
    I was hoping that the island would have something do with their plan to help Storm, but I guess I was asking for too much.

I’ll be honest in that I was a bit underwhelmed by the first two giant-size issues. This was the first one that satisfied my expectations since it had decent character moments for Erik. And it’s nice to know that Emma still has Namor wrapped around her finger.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I completely forgot about the key, that's how little of an impression this book left. I'm sure it will be relevant at some point, but it would be weird to me if it didn't have something to do with Atlantis.

The Namor reveal would have been better if he wasn't included in the cast line up page.

Was such a boring issue. Magneto respect for Emma is on a new Level. The lady wants a favorite so she gets it. Soon as Emma's name gets mention Namor ready to do what ever xD

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    These Giant Size issues are really reminding me of the early set-up issues in Hickman's Avengers run. I just hope the pay off isn't a let down like Validator being turned into a creepy supernatural creature for... whatever reason that was.
    That's how I'm viewing them. They're all set ups for bigger stuff down the line. Obviously Emma's private island is going to be a big deal. I'm assuming from Nightcrawler that Hickman must have something planned for Lady Mastermind to make a point of doing a rescue mission for her. I do think they should have been kept as annuals as none have exactly been amazing show cases of the title characters.

BANNED

This was LAME!! VERY DISAPPOINTING.

I was hoping to see Magneto talk some **** to some Humans. Not become some Errands Boy for Emma to have her own island and do whatever she wants on it.

Nice to see Namor again, but not watch him get beat up in his OWN waters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    The Emma/Magneto moments were cute. I liked that Namor acknowledged Emma.

I suspect each of these issues is meant to carry at least one detail that is supposed to play a role down the line for the main storyline of Dawn of X.
    Besides the obvious one with Storm in the Jean Grey/Emma Frost one, there is Lady Masterminds snooping around in the old X-mansion (she was rather prominently visible among Villain entry in House of X which raises my suspicion), plus Thunderbirds ghost who might not have been an illusion in Nightcrawlers.
    And here we have a seperated island being bought and all that around it.

Though using something labeled as Giant Sized issue with major character names attached just to have these details in place for later, while the main story of the actual books feels so bareone, can be seen as questionable choice. Unless people really want these issues for the artwork, but that's for sales to show if it works or not.

Now on to see what details might be in the Fantomex one.

I love what Hickman has been doing with this run, but these one shots haave all been a bust. I think I'll be skipping the last 2.