View Poll Results: What do you think Billy Batson's superhero name should be?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it CAPTAIN MARVEL in stories even if you can't use it to advertise the character!

32 61.54%
  • I'm OK with calling him SHAZAM!

15 28.85%
  • Come up with another name that can be trademarked, but Billy should NOT be Shazam!

5 9.62%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post

There are a couple of cosmetic matters to address. First, they restored the original appearance of the wizard. IIRC, his N52 version was some sort of Australian Aborigine type rather than the Gandalf archetype that he had always been; and while I didn’t have (much of) a problem with the change, I’m glad to see the original look restored.

This is incorrect.
    The wizard is still the Australian aboriginal type from new52.
    They did not change his race back to white.
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Mamaragan_(Prime_Earth)
    Last edited by mace11; 12-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.

The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar

Keep it CAPTAIN MARVEL in stories even if you can't use it to advertise the character!
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Second, Freddy: while I understand the need to diversify appearances a bit more and I normally wouldn’t mind the recasting, I really wish Freddy was still the dark-haired kid from the original Captain Marvel — in particular, I wish that his superhero form looked a bit like an Elvis impersonator. Why? Because Elvis’ iconic sideburns look was something he copied from one of his favorite comic book characters, Freddy Freeman. That was the reason why, when Alex Ross added him to Kingdom Come, he made sure to give him the iconic Elvis look and even went so far as to call him “King Marvel”.

Which brings me to the names. I love the fact that the book highlights the problem of naming the characters using the magic word that causes them to transform; so first and foremost, they should not use “Shazam” in their codenames, or in their team name. Yes, Billy, “Captain Marvel” is a perfectly good name, and (OOC) one that you’ve got dibs on. Reclaim it! The “blunder” by one of her siblings of calling Mary “Mary” in public sets her up nicely to be called “Mary Marvel” — if that’s what they’re setting her up for, please and thank you. I mentioned before Alex Ross’ “King Marvel”; I don’t see that actually happening here due to the changes in Freddy’s appearance, but I’d love it if it were to happen. As for the new kids, I wouldn’t mind seeing names like “Captain Thunder” crop up among them — though maybe that would be better for Freddy, as his share of the Shazam name seems to be leaning heavily on the Power of Zeus (i.e., thunderbolts).
    Actually, Freddy already referred to himself as King Shazam in the original JL backups, despite no longer looking like Elvis!

The other three could be colour Marvel if they go with the Marvel codenames for Billy and Mary, but Marvel Comics have a Blue Marvel so Freddy can't have that name, and his original name Captain Marvel Junior doesn't make sense when he's not younger than the others (if anyone is Junior it'd be Darla, as she's the youngest). Before New 52 rebooted him, Freddy was called CM3.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcco View Post
    Morrison's take on Shazam was Thunderworld and it was spectacular.
    That's the kind of Captain Marvel series I'd like to read.
    "Why do the trunks not "hold up with the times"? What exactly is the problem with them? And don't tell me "nobody wears them" because nobody dresses in a blue body suit and red cape and boots either.

It's a superhero costume. It's the original superhero costume. It's not real clothing, it's not bound to the ever-changing fashion trends of real life. It's nothing like real life clothing. How exactly can it become outdated?"