View Poll Results: What do you think Billy Batson's superhero name should be?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it CAPTAIN MARVEL in stories even if you can't use it to advertise the character!

35 57.38%
  • I'm OK with calling him SHAZAM!

20 32.79%
  • Come up with another name that can be trademarked, but Billy should NOT be Shazam!

6 9.84%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This was phenomenal - just what I've been waiting for since the end of the New 52 volume. Although, can Billy not say "Shazam" without changing any more? In the new origin, he has to say it with the intent to change - but it looked like it was back to the old rules here.

I hope those Sen back-ups stay the whole length of the series, too. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Although, can Billy not say "Shazam" without changing any more? In the new origin, he has to say it with the intent to change - but it looked like it was back to the old rules here.
    I don't think so, if you are referring to the lines - "I've been having a little trouble saying my name lately"?
    While it may reference the fact that saying the name and not transforming requires intent as something he has trouble with.
    I think that's mostly set up for the ongoing joke that plays out through the scene, of them coming up with names.
    As he later starts saying "I just want something I can say, How about Captain Marv..."
    And he catches himself.
    I think that's Johns having fun with how problematic the name has become in general.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Does each of the 6 kids have the same powers?

Also, in Jerry Ordway's Shazam series, the 3 shared the Shazam powers when they all transformed. Is that the case here, too?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This was great. Way too short (hardly surprising with modern writing), but I'm eager for more, which I guess is a good thing. I like that Billy's more positive attributes are sticking and he's more well adjusted. The negative attitude he had in the early parts of the first story are looking more and more like the defensive walls they were, and this is his true self at his best. Maybe he will erects those walls again when that last page reveal inevitably has some negative fallout?

Mr. Mind saw him meet the wizard in the first story. I think this is a plot cooked up by him. Unless there are some other old school villains who could be behind this?

The name jokes are funny. Not being able to refer to them as Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family will never NOT be annoying and stupid as hell, but that's not a problem of Johns' making.

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    I'm not sure why people have a problem with there being so many Shazams. Hasn't there always been multiple different people wearing the costume at the same time and being apart of a larger family? What's different about what Johns is doing with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    7 marvels doesn't bug me, based on the Golden Age headcount:
    Capt Marvel
    Mary Marvel
    Capt Marvel Jr.
    Uncle Marvel
    Lt Marvel #1-Tall Billy
    Lt Marvel #1-Fat Billy
    Lt Marvel #1-Hill Billy

Freckles Marvel (Dudley's non-powered niece)
    Hoppy Marvel, the bunny
    Black Adam

Speaking of which, will Adam fill the 7th seat?
    Yeah, I view Darla, Eugene and Pedro as essentially being replacements for the three Lt. Marvels. And they are a vast improvement, IMO. From what little I know of them, the Three Other Billy's are flat non-characters, and we get some more diversity this way. This doesn't upset the dynamics that much, if at all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I don't think so, if you are referring to the lines - "I've been having a little trouble saying my name lately"?
    While it may reference the fact that saying the name and not transforming requires intent as something he has trouble with.
    I think that's mostly set up for the ongoing joke that plays out through the scene, of them coming up with names.
    As he later starts saying "I just want something I can say, How about Captain Marv..."
    And he catches himself.
    I think that's Johns having fun with how problematic the name has become in general.
    I am of the mind that if calling this version of the character "Shazam", a simple fix would be sufficient, like Billy having to say the name "Shazam" in order to be become his empowered self...but saying the name backwards ("Mazahs!") de-powers Billy. None of this "intent" business would be necessary.

Still, ideally, I would prefer the more classic mythos to be brought forth, maybe in the form of a visit to Earth-5? And also, I wander when some bad guy, mystic or otherwise, will realize that a bunch of kids have access to a major seat of power, like the RoE, besides Mister Mind and Doctor Sivana?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Does each of the 6 kids have the same powers?
    Here and in the N52 back up that introduced them, where they each got powered up for the first time, while they all get flight and a level of strength, there is an emphasis that the new kids are channeling one of main power attributes specifically.

In order of the acronym:
    Solomon - Wisdom - Eugene - manifests as being able to communicate with electronic devices.
    Hercules - Strength - Pedro - He's a bit bigger than all, and tends to flex LOL!
    Achilles - Courage - Mary - How this manifests really hasn't bee explored, she actually seems just as powerful as Billy*
    Zeus - Power - Billy - Assuming he has them all, even while the others are powered up.
    Atlas - Stamina - Freddy - Also not specifically explored how exactly that manifests?
    Mercury - Darla - Speed

*Although it hasn't been reveled yet in this version, there was hints in the N52 intro, that Mary had her own connection to the magic, and might be related to Billy. So she might channel all the powers too.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I am of the mind that if calling this version of the character "Shazam", a simple fix would be sufficient, like Billy having to say the name "Shazam" in order to be become his empowered self...but saying the name backwards ("Mazahs!") de-powers Billy. None of this "intent" business would be necessary.
    Then he might have (shouting) issues against Alex Luthor of Earth 3

Still, ideally, I would prefer the more classic mythos to be brought forth, maybe in the form of a visit to Earth-5? And also, I wander when some bad guy, mystic or otherwise, will realize that a bunch of kids have access to a major seat of power, like the RoE, besides Mister Mind and Doctor Sivana?
    Now that magic is 'on', it should be pretty soon.

Eh, intent (for becoming or reverting) is easy enough to convey visually; he looks up intently, makes fists while saying, SHAZAM written in big bold magic looking font, with exclamation!
    Vs just saying the word casually.
    Any kid should grasp that.
    It's adults for some reason seam to find this some huge unsermauntable hurdle. LOL
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 05:18 PM.

*Although it hasn't been reveled yet in this version, there was hints in the N52 intro, that Mary had her own connection to the magic, and might be related to Billy. So she might channel all the powers too.
    I wonder if this is a hint that her pre-Crisis powers will be brought back:

Selene
    Hippolyta
    Ariadne
    Zephyrus
    Aurora
    Minerva

Maybe she can share it with Darla, while Billy shares his with the other boys.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wonder if this is a hint .....
    They haven't even reference the classic SHAZAM acronym yet, (or Teth Adam's) so I don't know if Mary's once specific one will be used.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.

They haven't even used the classic SHAZAM acronym yet, so I don't know if Mary's once specific one will be used.
    Oh that's right.

Still, it would be nice. I like Mary having her own power.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Oh that's right.

Still, it would be nice. I like Mary having her own power.
    Having "her own power" seems pretty nebulous at this point.
    Right now they are all sharing the same power is what we know, she connects that way.
    Like I said, Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas, Mercury haven't even been mentioned.
    They might just be one aspect of it, but the power seems to be being defined in broader terms, and not tied to any specif deities yet (or maybe all).
    So what does "her own powers" mean? in this context?
    They did hint (at least my understanding) she might have her own connection to it though (being actual family)
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Having "her own power" seems pretty nebulous at this point.
    Right now they are all sharing the same power is what we know, she connects that way.
    Like I said, Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas, Mercury haven't even been mentioned.
    They might just be one aspect of it, but the power seems to be being defined in broader terms, and not tied to any specif deities yet (or maybe all).
    So what does "her own powers" mean? in this context?
    They did hint (at least my understanding) she might have her own connection to it though (being actual family)
    I mean...I'm not sure? I've always been interested in the Marvel family, but haven't sat down and ready much of it outside of Johns' take. I know she used to shout Shazam in the Fawcett era, but it came from different deities, while Freddy had to shout "Captain Marvel!". Per my understanding, is that a different source of power, or just a different connection to the same power? Regardless, I think it just fits better for Mary. A female heroine gaining power from female deities instead of male ones and still being as powerful or near equal to her male counterpart. Kind of like Diana getting her powers from Zeus vs. getting them from female Gods or Amazon training can change the messages conveyed in Wonder Woman comics.

Though shared familial strength is not nearly as bad of a change as Daddy!Zeus can be.

Incredible Member

Eh, intent (for becoming or reverting) is easy enough to convey visually; he looks up intently, makes fists while saying, SHAZAM written in big bold magic looking font, with exclamation!
    Vs just saying the word casually.
    Any kid should grasp that.
    It's adults for some reason seam to find this some huge unsermauntable hurdle. LOL
    Well, considering how Johns and other writers want to tie things together, why not? What you call "magic" can tie into gods, which can be tied to the fifth dimension stuff, like Mister Mxyzptlk and Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt. In fact, Captain Marvel was used by Grant Morrison in an old JLA story that introduced Jakeem Thunder, who, interestingly enough, is the seventh son of the seventh son of his family...and there are seven seats on the RoE...

Man, I would love to see Morrison get a crack at the SHAZAM book. But, for now, I am interested in seeing what Geoff Johns has to say.

Well, considering how Johns and other writers want to tie things together, why not? What you call "magic" can tie into gods, which can be tied to the fifth dimension stuff, like Mister Mxyzptlk and Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt. In fact, Captain Marvel was used by Grant Morrison in an old JLA story that introduced Jakeem Thunder, who, interestingly enough, is the seventh son of the seventh son of his family...and there are seven seats on the RoE...

Man, I would love to see Morrison get a crack at the SHAZAM book. But, for now, I am interested in seeing what Geoff Johns has to say.
    Morrison's take on Shazam was Thunderworld and it was spectacular.