View Poll Results: What do you think Billy Batson's superhero name should be?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it CAPTAIN MARVEL in stories even if you can't use it to advertise the character!

35 57.38%
  • I'm OK with calling him SHAZAM!

20 32.79%
  • Come up with another name that can be trademarked, but Billy should NOT be Shazam!

6 9.84%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well, I've now read the first issue, and it was OK for me, not great.

I wish Geoff had found a way to make the original setup work. I think Jerry Ordway did a great job in general of doing so even if Peter Krause's art was boring and uninteresting.

I think Billy sharing the comic with 5 other kids is a little too crowded. I'm not loving it.

I would have preferred to see an update of the original concept where Billy works for Sterling Morris at WHIZ-TV. Maybe in today's world, Billy is a blogger who becomes a social media celebrity. Then, Morris hires him as part of refurbishing the WHIZ website to reach the younger audience. Billy gets to report on issues as he did in the pre-Crisis comics, but in a modern-day context of using social media and the Internet to shine the light on events relevant to young people. The other kids can be part of the supporting cast at the website, but it should only be the classic trio with the Shazam powers. Also, Billy and Mary should be twins again.

Kon93

Billy is more powerful than all the other kids while they are all powered up isnt he?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Here and in the N52 back up that introduced them, where they each got powered up for the first time, while they all get flight and a level of strength, there is an emphasis that the new kids are channeling one of main power attributes specifically.

In order of the acronym:
    Solomon - Wisdom - Eugene - manifests as being able to communicate with electronic devices.
    Hercules - Strength - Pedro - He's a bit bigger than all, and tends to flex LOL!
    Achilles - Courage - Mary - How this manifests really hasn't bee explored, she actually seems just as powerful as Billy*
    Zeus - Power - Billy - Assuming he has them all, even while the others are powered up.
    Atlas - Stamina - Freddy - Also not specifically explored how exactly that manifests?
    Mercury - Darla - Speed

*Although it hasn't been reveled yet in this version, there was hints in the N52 intro, that Mary had her own connection to the magic, and might be related to Billy. So she might channel all the powers too.
    Are we sure about this? I mean, Eugene, Pedro, and Darla are pretty obvious but I haven't seen anything confirming the others.

In Flashpoint, the pairing was:
    Achilles -- Billy
    Zeus -- Freddy
    Atlas -- Mary

Though I suppose it could be different here (they already manifest the power individually instead of forming into one "Captain Thunder", so there are already differences).

My take on the power sharing is that they all have the same base powers (flight, invulnerability, strength, lightning), but different "emphases" that make them more talented at one area or the other or give them unique abilities. So all of them have super strength, but Pedro is strongest, for example. Or all of them have speed, but Darla is fastest, etc.

I suspect we will see more unique abilities unlocked with time, with the strongest/most difficult to master belonging to Billy.

Random thought, is the idea of Marvel Family is for Billy to have his own Justice League?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Random thought, is the idea of Marvel Family is for Billy to have his own Justice League?
    Sounds interesting. Reminds me of the Justice Leagues event that DC did in 2001 (my personal favorites were Justice League of Aliens and Justice League of Arkham).

I would say this aspect is closer to straight up reinvent the Marvel Family which was it's own thing, or if you want more analogues to the Superman Family or Batman Family.

marvel-family.jpg

"for Billy to have his own Justice League" would be more if they brought back Shazam's Squadron of Justice / Fawcett City Crusaders.

- Updates with Ms. Scarlet.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

This is what I found on wiki about Flashpoint's Captain Thunder:

The new Marvel Family consists of six children who were caught on a subway car that took them to the Rock of Eternity, and as a result each of the youths was granted with a different one of the wizard's attributes.
    An Asian-American boy named Eugene Choi possesses the wisdom of Solomon,
    an overweight Latino boy named Pedro Pẽna possesses the strength of Hercules,
    Mary Batson possesses the stamina of Atlas,
    Freddy Freeman possesses the power of Zeus,
    Billy Batson possesses the courage of Achilles,
    and an African-American girl named Darla Dudley possesses the speed of Mercury.
    Tawky Tawny is also shown with them on a leash held by Pedro.

also:

Eugene Choi was granted the Wisdom of Solomon by the Wizard Shazam. This provided him the following abilities:
    • Enhanced Intellect: Granted by Solomon, Zehuti, Minerva and Lumiun. Chosen ones are given superhuman brain activity and are provided by counsel and guidance when needed. They are also granted knowledge of all languages, warfare, mathematics, and other scholarly knowledge.
    • Clairvoyance: Granted by Solomon, Zehuti, Minerva and Lumiun. Chosen ones are clairvoyant to all situations. They can understand situations from many angles including futuristic and past consequences to actions. Also understood as superhuman awareness with such clarity that chosen ones can see into the future of their actions.
    • Hypnosis: Granted by Solomon, Zehuti, Minerva and Lumiun. Chosen ones can hypnotize anyone who looks directly at them. Hardly used by today's chosen ones this ability can be understood as a chosen one's ability to manipulate their opponents or allies for various purposes.
    • Multilingualism: Granted by Solomon, Zehuti, Minerva and Lumiun. Chosen ones are omnilingual and can read, write, speak and understand all languages. With this they can communicate to even aliens and other lifeforms.

Pedro Peña was granted the Strength of Hercules by the Wizard Shazam:
    • Superhuman Strength: Granted by Hercules, Amon, Hippolyta and Voldar. Chosen ones have incredible physical strength, enough to lift at least 100 tons. They can effortlessly bend steel, punch through walls, and lift massive objects. They've also been seen able to crack the crust of planets, physically hold off multiple heroes and tear humans apart.

Darla Dudley was granted the Speed of Mercury by the Wizard Shazam:
    • Superhuman Speed: Granted by Mercury, Heru, Zephyrus and Arel. Chosen ones have incredible amounts of speed which allow them to move, react, and easily move at speeds far exceeding Mach 10 within Earth's atmosphere. It is possible that other uses of their speed aside from running and flying.
    • Flight: Granted by Mercury, Heru, Zephyrus and Arel. Chosen ones can soar into the skies through an act of sheer will. They can hover completely still or effortlessly achieve sub-orbital levels and travel across the planet in blinding speed.

Astonishing Member

Not a random thought; I had a similar thought.

What if the Shazams are a counterpoint to the Justice League/Crime Syndicate?

Pedro: Strong One
    Mary: Warrior
    Darla: Speedster
    Eugene: Thinking One
    Freddy: the Light(ning?)
    Billy: the Heart

It gives them a purpose/direction. Just a thought.

I enjoyed this first issue and am looking forward to this series.

I am glad Eugene said his color was silver because I thought it was dull gray. (..but I thought it should be silver…anyway it could look shinier?)

(And I like that Freddy's blond.)
    Last edited by scary harpy; 12-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.

I would say this aspect is closer to straight up reinvent the Marvel Family which was it's own thing, or if you want more analogues to the Superman Family or Batman Family.
    Thats what I thought first as well, but then if that was the case then maybe they'd reintroduce them at a later date. You know, fully establish Billy and have them as supporting characters that appear every two years or so. But this feels very direct, way stronger than what we get in Superman or Batman relaunched titles as far as family goes.

Flips through ... no Tawky Tawny

I'm out!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

I'll be avoiding this. Too many changes that just weren't necessary. I will admit that the art looks very engaging!
    Last edited by kcekada; 12-07-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

I'm out!
    Wow you really went out there and gave the book a fare chance.

He was already set-up and established in the 52launch lead up to this.
    So we know he is a part of it, and Billy can share the magic with him.
    Also they hinted coming up "Talking Animals"
    Do you need him in every issue? They have allot to get into, let them build up to stuff too.

This issue ends with

Her reveal:
    spoilers:
    I guess they can share the power too!
    end of spoilers
    That last page was quite joyful!
    [sp]Literally Hoppy flying out the window! [/sp]

we know they can share the powers with their animals.

How are people this freakin impatient?
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'll be avoiding this. Too many changes that just weren't necessary. I will admit that the art looks very engaging!
    Not only is the art engaging so is the story. And there is enough throwback, and spirit of the original.

I mean what is it exactly?
    Freddy's blond hair?
    Mary not being revealed as his sister yet? Might still happen (it had potential set up in N52 lead-up arc)
    That the Lieutenant Marvels who he shares the power with, now aren't all white males?
    That he has to say SHAZAM with intent? You know they needed a name they could use for the character.
    That the Seven realms will be used as a vehicle to introduce even more of the more whimsical stuff. It's all being set up.
    That Teth Adam's intro was pretty true to the original.
    That Billy's reaction by sharing the power and gaining a family is absolutely true to the spirit of the character.
    That we know Sivana and Mr. are teaming to form the Monster Society.

What change is bothering you?

I guess your loss.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

I'm out!
    Solicits seem to indicate that he will be showing up very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Aside from Darla, Eugene and Pedro replacing the Lt Marvels (not a big loss, IMO) and the inability to use the Captain Marvel name (which Johns can't do something about unfortunately), what is really changing?

I think the rules of the magic in this version need to be explored more thoroughly before it can be determined that things were changed too drastically.

Astonishing Member

I'm a big fan of cm so ill give this a decent go

Issue 1 was ok for me

Looked fantastic