View Poll Results: What do you think Billy Batson's superhero name should be?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it CAPTAIN MARVEL in stories even if you can't use it to advertise the character!

35 57.38%
  • I'm OK with calling him SHAZAM!

20 32.79%
  • Come up with another name that can be trademarked, but Billy should NOT be Shazam!

6 9.84%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post

There are a couple of cosmetic matters to address. First, they restored the original appearance of the wizard. IIRC, his N52 version was some sort of Australian Aborigine type rather than the Gandalf archetype that he had always been; and while I didn’t have (much of) a problem with the change, I’m glad to see the original look restored.

This is incorrect.
    The wizard is still the Australian aboriginal type from new52.
    They did not change his race back to white.
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Mamaragan_(Prime_Earth)
    Last edited by mace11; 12-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.

BANNED

Keep it CAPTAIN MARVEL in stories even if you can't use it to advertise the character!

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Second, Freddy: while I understand the need to diversify appearances a bit more and I normally wouldn’t mind the recasting, I really wish Freddy was still the dark-haired kid from the original Captain Marvel — in particular, I wish that his superhero form looked a bit like an Elvis impersonator. Why? Because Elvis’ iconic sideburns look was something he copied from one of his favorite comic book characters, Freddy Freeman. That was the reason why, when Alex Ross added him to Kingdom Come, he made sure to give him the iconic Elvis look and even went so far as to call him “King Marvel”.

Which brings me to the names. I love the fact that the book highlights the problem of naming the characters using the magic word that causes them to transform; so first and foremost, they should not use “Shazam” in their codenames, or in their team name. Yes, Billy, “Captain Marvel” is a perfectly good name, and (OOC) one that you’ve got dibs on. Reclaim it! The “blunder” by one of her siblings of calling Mary “Mary” in public sets her up nicely to be called “Mary Marvel” — if that’s what they’re setting her up for, please and thank you. I mentioned before Alex Ross’ “King Marvel”; I don’t see that actually happening here due to the changes in Freddy’s appearance, but I’d love it if it were to happen. As for the new kids, I wouldn’t mind seeing names like “Captain Thunder” crop up among them — though maybe that would be better for Freddy, as his share of the Shazam name seems to be leaning heavily on the Power of Zeus (i.e., thunderbolts).
    Actually, Freddy already referred to himself as King Shazam in the original JL backups, despite no longer looking like Elvis!

The other three could be colour Marvel if they go with the Marvel codenames for Billy and Mary, but Marvel Comics have a Blue Marvel so Freddy can't have that name, and his original name Captain Marvel Junior doesn't make sense when he's not younger than the others (if anyone is Junior it'd be Darla, as she's the youngest). Before New 52 rebooted him, Freddy was called CM3.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcco View Post
    Morrison's take on Shazam was Thunderworld and it was spectacular.
    That's the kind of Captain Marvel series I'd like to read.

For those of us who haven't read Thunderworld, what was the basic premise and how much of the classic elements did it retain?

What were Billy, Mary, and Freddy called in their superhero identities?

The premise is that Thunderworld is Earth-5. From the DCComics website:

With a single word, Billy Batson transforms from boy reporter for Whiz Media into the world’s Mightiest Mortal – Captain Marvel! Along with the other members of the Marvel Family, Captain Marvel battles dastardly villains like Mr. Mind and the Monster Society of Evil! But now, his greatest foe has attacked the Rock of Eternity – the source of the Marvel Family’s power – and it could mean the end of reality as we know it! What impossible villains are Sivana teaming up with who could spell doom for the Multiverse? From where did Sivana’s children get their newfound super powers? And what does the appearance of one mysterious comic book mean for the heroes of Thunderworld?
    (For the record, that's Sivana's daughter, “borrowing” power from the Rock of Eternity. And don't worry; Freddy is playing her to get close and take her out.)
    That should give you a taste of it.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-13-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

You might also want to look into Convergence: Shazam!, a two-issue tribute to the pre-Crisis Earth-S. The writer was inspired by Thunderworld to take his game up a notch and produce something true to the original comics.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

OK, so now issue 2 of Geoff Johns' Shazam has come out.

Has anyone read it yet? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to the first issue?

Always Rakzo

I loved the most recent issue. Johns does his classic worldbuilding an explores a completely new land that perfectly fits into the theme of the story and characters while also creating a sense of danger in all of it. There are also a few interesting sub-plots like Billy's dad and the long-forgotten plot-point of Sivana working alongside Mr. Mind.

The art was fine, not great, not bad. Overall, really good read.

Astonishing Member

Johns still hasn't lost his touch. If he tries he can still knock it out of the park. I am glad he kept the Sivana scene PG. I'd thought he'd go overboard there, but it's good he is holding back his worse tendencies.

Shazam! #2 is fantastic. I love the page about Mr. Mind. Favourite line: "It took the combined might of Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury and ! to stop and contain Mister Mind." So the exclamation point in Shazam! is now one of the elders. So wacky! I love it! All that and the kids never even appear in their adult forms, which is totally fine because all the kids' characters are getting fleshed out.

So my theory is that Billys father could reveal that Mary is his biological sister.There are some hints in the last issue and the few years ago new 52 run!

Fantastic Member

I would overall rate this book as good with the potential to be great.

There is one thing that really bothers me: it is the quantity of splash pages. A single issue that is made up a main story and a back-up feature does not require five or six splash pages! It's infuriating! No wonder Geoff John's stories move so slowly! I don't buy a book JUST for the art. I also buy it for the story and the characters. I think every comic should be limited to one splash page, and if there is more than one there ought to be a damn good reason why it's there. Is there anybody else who feels this way?

I would also like to ask you guys when Freddy said he loves Mary "like a sister" are those his true feelings towards her, or is he in denial?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I would overall rate this book as good with the potential to be great.

There is one thing that really bothers me: it is the quantity of splash pages. A single issue that is made up a main story and a back-up feature does not require five or six splash pages! It's infuriating! No wonder Geoff John's stories move so slowly! I don't buy a book JUST for the art. I also buy it for the story and the characters. I think every comic should be limited to one splash page, and if there is more than one there ought to be a damn good reason why it's there. Is there anybody else who feels this way?
    Yes I agree, although Santucci's art is fantastic (wish we could keep Eaglsham as the regular) , to many splash-pages made it feel to short, and that the backup story was a Wonder Twins insert, instead of an extended Shazamily story, also made it feel short in content.
    Still lots of great set up with the realms, Billy's "father" and intriguing plot with Sivana and Mr. Mind so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I would also like to ask you guys when Freddy said he loves Mary "like a sister" are those his true feelings towards her, or is he in denial?
    I hope he's settled into seeing her that way, cause at first it was ok, but to see him keep fawning over what's essentially become his sister, gets annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ARIARAIDEN View Post
    So my theory is that Billys father could reveal that Mary is his biological sister.There are some hints in the last issue and the few years ago new 52 run!
    Replied in the main SHAZAM thread.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-24-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    OK, so now issue 2 of Geoff Johns' Shazam has come out.

Has anyone read it yet? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to the first issue?
    It was kind of dull for me. I was happy to know that Mary was going off to college and everything but that was pretty much it and it surprised me that Freddy has the top bunk in their room since freddy is disable